-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help me identify this Panasonic DVD player

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 StevenK

StevenK

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 08:12 AM

I saw/heard this player at a friend of a coworker's house and I can't contact him anymore. I made a mental note to get the model number, but after several beverages, I regrettably forgot.

Anyhow, I THINK these were some of the features:

5-disc changer
DVD-Audio
Progressive scan w/Faroujda Sage chip
DVD-R capable

I believe it's an old model...and fairly inexpensive at that. I was quite surprised by the picture quality and wouldn't mind having it for my bedroom setup.

Much thanks.

BTW, I did see the DVD-CP72S on Panny's website, but the guy indicated the player was in the $150 range, not $280 range, so I wonder if there was an earlier model.

#2 of 13 JohnnyG

JohnnyG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 09:39 AM

It would have to be one of the new DVD-F85s, but they do not have the Sage/Faroudja chip.

#3 of 13 DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 10:12 AM

The CP-72's have been on clearance around here locally (like at Circuit City) for like $150. Does the picture match up?

In any event, you should try Crutchfield.com for comparison. They have excellent, very large pictures for comparing different units.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#4 of 13 Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 11:00 AM

Its probably was the CP72 if it had DVD-Audio, otherwise the only other changer that Panny made with the Sage chip was the CP67, but that did not have DVD-Audio. The CP72 was heavily discounted and also had a $30 rebate.

#5 of 13 StevenK

StevenK

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 11:07 AM

Then that's probably the one. Thank you all very much....

Now where to find one...anybody know if the rebates are still valid?

#6 of 13 Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 11:23 AM

The rebate is good until the end of May. The original rebate forms say end or march, but it's been extended, just print a new form from the Panasonic webpage.

#7 of 13 StevenK

StevenK

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 11:39 AM

Thank you Stephen. Looks like I'll pick one up!

#8 of 13 DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 11:56 AM

Steven, the CP72 is like 95% the same circuitry as the RP82, which is highly-acclaimed for excellent PQ. I have a CP72 myself. Good unit so far.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

#9 of 13 StevenK

StevenK

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:26 PM

Well, I went ahead and got the cp72 from the crutchfield 'scratch and dent' store for $149 after the $20 Mastercard coupon. Throw in a $30 rebate, and $119 for a progressive, DVD-A player doesn't sound so bad. Hopefully, it's not all scratched to hell.

So far, from reading the reviews, I might as well swap out my DV-45a in the living room with this thing seeing as how I only have 1 SACD anywaysPosted Image

#10 of 13 DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:38 PM

I got mine from Crutchfield too, Steve, although not a scratch and dent. I used a referral discount and a mastercard discount (although I guess they put the smack down on using both discounts), $159 after rebate.

#11 of 13 Skippy

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:53 PM

Steven,
Good luck with the CP72 from Crutchfield's S&D. I was looking for a CP72 when they ran out of stock a couple of weeks back. I ended up getting a JVC F80 from S&D, which wouldn't open and had to be sent back. I wish they'd had the CP72 in S&D to replace the F80. Although I would have surely been wary of buying another S&D item from Crutchfield. I hope your experience turns out better than mine.

Skippy

EDIT: How did you get the $20 MC discount on a Scratch and Dent item? When I tried it on the F80, it wouldn't give it to me becuase it said "not valid on specials, S&D, etc."Posted Image

#12 of 13 StevenK

StevenK

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 03:58 AM

Skippy,

I had to call into crutchfield. The guy was very nice (one of the perks of paying a little more for crutchfield items--customer service) and punched it in. He said the coupon was good for S&D items (at least the coupon didn't say S&D was excluded), but he couldn't get it to apply until he entered in the CC number.

#13 of 13 Skippy

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 09:17 AM

DANG!! When I called in to get the return auth for the F80, I told the guy I had been looking for the CP72 and he didnt say anything about any S&D ones. Oh well. Like I said I may have been leary of picking up another S&D item after the F80 experience. But the CP72 is on their webiste now.

Oh well... keep us updated on how yours turns out. Thanks for the info.

S.