What's new

Cable Labels (1 Viewer)

PatD

Grip
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. I have a modest home theater that I need to disassemble. Unfortunately, I have not done a very good job at cable management and have a tangled mess of wires behind my entertainment center. As I disconnect all the cables, I would like to label them to make it easier to reconnect everything at a later time. What is a good way to label them? What kind of labels should I use? Thanks in advance for your advice

PatD

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
if you have a Lable Maker you can make lables really easy.

3M has some wire labeling stuff. they have some number tape with 0-9 that you can wrap around the wire to assign a numbet to each wire. I use this when I work on my car. Before I pull a wire I mark the wire and its plug location.

Or you could use some masking tape and a sharpie.

Hope that helps

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
A system like:
Give each a letter - DVD =A, Reciever =B
Then each connection on the dvd etc a number audio right =1...
then a cable on one side would havew A4 and the other side B3 ...or something like that

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I used 3M Scotch 35 white electrical tape (readilly available at Loews and Home Depot) and a ultra-fine point Sharpie.

This is excellent electrical tape, but not cheap (as far as electrical tape goes) – about $4 a roll. However, it will not loosen up with time, and if you remove it years later it will leave a minimum of sticky goo behind. With the ultra-fine point Sharpie you can easily write detailed info, like “VCR Video In”, etc.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

PatD

Grip
Thanks, for the advice, everyone. I will probably go with some tape and a fine point marker.

PatD

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Radio Shack makes some lables with a white section, and then clear plastic tape that wraps around to protect the ink.

My advice: DONT try to label cables so you 'remember' where they came/went. This is too complex to do right (and likely you will want to wire differently in your new place).

My advice:

- Plan to put the receiver/Amp on the bottom shelf of your rack.

- On the top shelves, put the DVD player, VCR, Game systems (things you touch). Put remote-only devices above the amp (making sure to leave 6-8 inches of space above the amp for cooling).

- Plan to bundle your power cords to one side and let the interconnects dangle down the middle. The speaker wires should naturally flow away without coming near any interconnects.

Now you may need to buy a few new cables, but you have a better layout.

Label the power-cords. Put A/B/C labels on each end.

Label the interconnects with A/B/C labels on each end as well.

The point is to be able to TRACE what wire comes from X and goes to Y. Not define that one cable is "SVide feed from DVD player to receiver".

Hope this helps.

stickngo

Auditioning
Real Name
David Jones
The answer to instant cable identification and management is Stick’nGo® Cable Labels . These smart, innovative labels identify your home theater, home office, computer and portable device cables & power cords, and are easy to attach to cables and carry straps in seconds. You can even record your name and contact details (such as your phone number & email address) on the back of each Stick’nGo® Cable Label, assisting in the return of devices if you lose them, or leave them behind when travelling. These hi-quality labels are durable and waterproof. Further product information can be found at: www.stickngo.com.au

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks