-

Photo
- - - - -

DIY 5.1 Speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Tommy T

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 11:54 PM

Search Function is disabled so I thought I'd post.

I'm wanting to start building speakers to compliment my EBS Shiva. The old HTiB Kenwood speakers just aren't cutting it anymore. I've been looking at the Grand Pop and Pop from Adire and the AV+1 but am not sure how either will sound. HT room is pretty big, 20' X 20' and opens up to the kitchen. I don't have any soldering experience but now's a good time to learn.

OK, I'm thinking a 5 speaker, MTM setup, monitor style and I'll be making speaker stands for the front to match. Rear surrounds can be just tweeter and woofer.

This will be used 75% HT and 25% music. Budget is not set but I'm guessing about $500 total, lower if possible.

I have all necessary tools, even though I may consider purchasing completed crossovers and pre-fabbed front baffles. Finish is not yet determined but may just stick with the routine black or try to match the endcaps of my Sonosub.

Thanks in advance for all your help and if there are any related threads or links, I'd be more than willing to read those.

Tommy

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:41 AM

http://www.avsforum.....2&pagenumber=1

Here's a pretty interesting thread over at AVS. It includes a very good step by step build of the Audax home theater system. Decent place to start

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   MarcS

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 01:11 AM

Just the front 3 speakers MTM? Or all 5? For decent drivers, IF you build your own cabinets, $500 is a pretty small budget even for only the front 3 being MTM... I built the DIY2000 (Madisound Forum) winners, had to construct my own xovers from parts, and built my cabinets, and still the parts for those 3 cost about $450...well, it did use expensive drivers (Vifa PL18 and Seas tweet).

I'd suggest surfing the Madisound board to get suggestions

Madisound BBS

And, just my opinion, but I'd watch for posts from:

Rick Craig Rick's Site
Dennis Murphy Dennis' Site
Dave Ellis Dave's Site
Dan Wesnor Dan's Site

These guys seem to have a fair number of speaker "kits" on their sites.

There are many other very knowledgable people in the forum--if you surf it long enough, you'll get a feel for the ones that seem to know their stuff.

Also, try to find links to the DIY2002 contest...

Have fun!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Tommy T

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 01:57 AM

Thanks for the input thus far. I'm realizing $500 was a lofty goal so now I'm thinking about $700 for speakers and crossovers.

I'm really liking the Audax system, especially the center channel.

MarcS, yes it is MTM for the front 3 I was wanting. After looking at the Madisound page, I figure I'm looking at about $610 for the 5 Audax kits.

Are there any other systems in this price range I should be considering? Should I even be considering DIY in this price range or should I just stick to an already established brand?

While my ears are not audiophile, by far, I do know that I have crap now and want something substantially better.

Thanks again,

Tommy

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   MarcS

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 02:34 AM

If...you stick with some of the more serious hobbyists out there, that spend a lot of time developing xovers, using pretty close to the same software as commercial companies, without the limitations of having to market and make a profit--the concensus is that a good home built can be worth at least 2-3x as much as material costs (if it's a hobby activity, you don't really have to include labor).

Overall, I'd say yes, it's definitely worth it...