What's new

Indy Jones available as Box-Set ONLY?!? (1 Viewer)

Heinz W

Second Unit
According to the Bits' Rumor Mill, Paramount is set to make the official announcement in the next few weeks. It seems there will only a 4-disc box with no separate releases available to those who may only want Raiders, for instance. See details at

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

Paramount is once again forcing us to buy all or none (Godfather anyone?). Or is this the design of Spielberg and Lucas? Whoever is responsible for this all I can say is :rolleyes.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
While I recognize this may be an unpopular decision and that I am about to take an equally unpopular position, I can't say this really bothers me. It is definitely not a surprise.

Everyone must remember that movies are first and foremost a business. The other two movies sold individually are worth a lot less than a package deal. Asssume Paramount could sell each movie at $24.99 or a four disc box set at $99.99.
Obviously the box set is a better business deal, and everyone out there complaining would make the exact same decision.

People always get angry at Lucas and Spielberg, but the fact is there is no "salary cap" in the real world, they can sell their product for as much as the market will bear.

I'm just happy these are coming out on DVD. At least now I will have the option of chosing whether or not to spend my money on their product.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Doesn't bother me either since all three movies are great - it's not like it was with the Rocky or Back to the Future boxsets where you had to buy several crappy movies just to get one (BttF) or two (Rocky) great movies.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
It is my impression that Spielberg and Lucas would rather release the movies one by one, where Paramount would like to release them as a box set instead. What these parts have agreed on so far is uncertain. Keep in mind that the Rumor mill is just that - RUMORS - and therefore it is not by any means certain that there will only be a box set. Wait for the official announcement!
However, speaking for myself it doesn't really matter, since I'm going to buy them all anyway.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I could care less if they release individual movies. I want a box set of all three anyway. This is fine, I just hope the presentation is better than the Back To The Future debacle.

Hank_P

Second Unit
But for those looking to get individual disc, you may be able to pick them up on sale at Blockbuster later on. I've seen them sell the individual disc of Godfather, and Band of Brothers. It may not be sparkling new, but if you are insistant on just the one disc, it may be your only option at this point.

I'm looking forward to the boxset.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I had the same concern when the BTTF trilogy was announced as a boxset only but after buying that, I can't say that I am upset about it. Bring on the Indie boxset.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
The boxset doesn't bother me either, as I think I'm in the minority when I say I actually enjoyed all three films. I will definitely be picking this one up when it is released. My only fear is that it will be released around the same time the "Alien" 9-disc box set is released and I'll have to pick between the two of them. That day will no doubt give me a migraine. :)

And for people who believe Spielberg and Lucas are behind the box set idea, it was said somewhere at some point (how's that for specific) that Paramount wanted to do a box set and Lucas and Spielberg wanted to do individual releases. Details of it are probably still in the first few pages of a recent thread on the DVDs, so if you haven't read it, go ahead and give it a look.

SimonI

Grip
The other thing is price - I got the BTTF trilogy from CD-Wow for GB £17.99; individual disks would probably cost only a little less than that. Same thing with the Three Colours trilogy which I picked up from Amazon.ca for about £18 shipped to the UK.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Boxset doesn't bother me either even though I'm not a big Temple of Doom fan.

Brendon

Second Unit
Is it my imagination or do I remember hearing several rumours (I didn't think they were any more substantial than that) about Lucasfilm waiting for the Indy rights to expire with Paramount ? Said rumours suggested that this was because Lucasfilm wanted to use different distributor than Paramount for the trilogy (as per Willow and CTHV).

I seem to remember this rumour surfacing after the abortive attempt at reissuing the Indy trilogy on laser with a DD5.1 or Ex soundtrack.

Either way, for what it's worth, bring on a trilogy box set! I have the PAL LD trilogy set, none of which I've been able to watch since last November.

Brief aside:

For my 30th Birthday, my girlfriend hired a screen at the local multiplex on a Saturday morning, got all of my friends and family to attend and paid for the cinema to hire a print of Raiders! Few things in my life have compared to sitting there, surrounded by friends watching a favourite film back on the big screen. A Mrs. who appreciates film as much as you do is a thing to be treasured....

Aside over.

Cheers,

Brendon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks