Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Indy Jones available as Box-Set ONLY?!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
197 replies to this topic

#1 of 198 Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 11:01 PM

According to the Bits' Rumor Mill, Paramount is set to make the official announcement in the next few weeks. It seems there will only a 4-disc box with no separate releases available to those who may only want Raiders, for instance. See details at

http://www.thedigita.../rumormill.html

Paramount is once again forcing us to buy all or none (Godfather anyone?). Or is this the design of Spielberg and Lucas? Whoever is responsible for this all I can say is Posted Image.

#2 of 198 Mark Silver

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 11:56 PM

While I recognize this may be an unpopular decision and that I am about to take an equally unpopular position, I can't say this really bothers me. It is definitely not a surprise.

Everyone must remember that movies are first and foremost a business. The other two movies sold individually are worth a lot less than a package deal. Asssume Paramount could sell each movie at $24.99 or a four disc box set at $99.99.
Obviously the box set is a better business deal, and everyone out there complaining would make the exact same decision.

People always get angry at Lucas and Spielberg, but the fact is there is no "salary cap" in the real world, they can sell their product for as much as the market will bear.

I'm just happy these are coming out on DVD. At least now I will have the option of chosing whether or not to spend my money on their product.

#3 of 198 Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 11:59 PM

Doesn't bother me either since all three movies are great - it's not like it was with the Rocky or Back to the Future boxsets where you had to buy several crappy movies just to get one (BttF) or two (Rocky) great movies.

#4 of 198 Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 11:59 PM

It is my impression that Spielberg and Lucas would rather release the movies one by one, where Paramount would like to release them as a box set instead. What these parts have agreed on so far is uncertain. Keep in mind that the Rumor mill is just that - RUMORS - and therefore it is not by any means certain that there will only be a box set. Wait for the official announcement!
However, speaking for myself it doesn't really matter, since I'm going to buy them all anyway.

A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#5 of 198 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:00 AM

I could care less if they release individual movies. I want a box set of all three anyway. This is fine, I just hope the presentation is better than the Back To The Future debacle.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#6 of 198 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:33 AM

I will be buying the boxset regardless as I like all three

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#7 of 198 Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:43 AM

Ditto. I'll buy the boxset.

#8 of 198 Hank_P

Hank_P

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:54 AM

But for those looking to get individual disc, you may be able to pick them up on sale at Blockbuster later on. I've seen them sell the individual disc of Godfather, and Band of Brothers. It may not be sparkling new, but if you are insistant on just the one disc, it may be your only option at this point.

I'm looking forward to the boxset.

#9 of 198 Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:00 AM

I don't care. I'll be getting the boxset too. I have always planned on it.
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#10 of 198 DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:17 AM

All three for me as well. I can't imagine getting any less.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#11 of 198 Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:24 AM

I gotta buy all three cause it's INDIANA JONES!!Posted Image
"I can't marry all three of them - thats bigamy!"
"No, thats big o' me!"

Magic armour is good but it tends to lose its magic without warning. Many an ancient lords last words had been " You can't kill me because I've got magic AARRGG!"
-Interesting Times-

#12 of 198 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,931 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:30 AM

Sheesh, just give me Indy, that's all. Boxset here I come.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#13 of 198 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:30 AM

Boxset for me too...glad they are doing it that way. Posted Image Posted Image

#14 of 198 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:33 AM

I had the same concern when the BTTF trilogy was announced as a boxset only but after buying that, I can't say that I am upset about it. Bring on the Indie boxset.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#15 of 198 Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:44 AM

Box set makes it easier. I'd like one please. Posted Image

#16 of 198 Michael Hall

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:47 AM

The boxset doesn't bother me either, as I think I'm in the minority when I say I actually enjoyed all three films. I will definitely be picking this one up when it is released. My only fear is that it will be released around the same time the "Alien" 9-disc box set is released and I'll have to pick between the two of them. That day will no doubt give me a migraine. Posted Image

And for people who believe Spielberg and Lucas are behind the box set idea, it was said somewhere at some point (how's that for specific) that Paramount wanted to do a box set and Lucas and Spielberg wanted to do individual releases. Details of it are probably still in the first few pages of a recent thread on the DVDs, so if you haven't read it, go ahead and give it a look.

#17 of 198 AndrewA

AndrewA

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:48 AM

Another fedora in the ring for the box set.

#18 of 198 SimonI

SimonI

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 02:07 AM

The other thing is price - I got the BTTF trilogy from CD-Wow for GB £17.99; individual disks would probably cost only a little less than that. Same thing with the Three Colours trilogy which I picked up from Amazon.ca for about £18 shipped to the UK.
Last watched: DVD: The Cat Returns (R2) Cinema: Old Boy Music: Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte

#19 of 198 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 02:10 AM

Boxset doesn't bother me either even though I'm not a big Temple of Doom fan.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#20 of 198 Brendon

Brendon

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 02:18 AM

Is it my imagination or do I remember hearing several rumours (I didn't think they were any more substantial than that) about Lucasfilm waiting for the Indy rights to expire with Paramount ? Said rumours suggested that this was because Lucasfilm wanted to use different distributor than Paramount for the trilogy (as per Willow and CTHV).

I seem to remember this rumour surfacing after the abortive attempt at reissuing the Indy trilogy on laser with a DD5.1 or Ex soundtrack.

Either way, for what it's worth, bring on a trilogy box set! I have the PAL LD trilogy set, none of which I've been able to watch since last November.

Brief aside:

For my 30th Birthday, my girlfriend hired a screen at the local multiplex on a Saturday morning, got all of my friends and family to attend and paid for the cinema to hire a print of Raiders! Few things in my life have compared to sitting there, surrounded by friends watching a favourite film back on the big screen. A Mrs. who appreciates film as much as you do is a thing to be treasured....

Aside over.

Cheers,

Brendon