-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

new sony WEGA how do i use 16x9 mode?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 05:31 PM

super happy with my new sony... one lil thing though...

how do i use 16x9 enhanced mode... i go into setup and turn it on and it looks GREAT ... BUT its smooshs the picture

so i cruise around the net and find u need to use an anamorphic dvd... i popped one in and 16x9 mode still juz squishes the picture..

do i need to use component imput [using s-vid till i get some cables]

or do i need a progressive scan dvd player?

#2 of 8 Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 06:07 PM

Hey Nathan,

Congrats on the WEGA...couldn't have picked a better set (imho).

To answer your question, any standard broadcasts or cable images (ie. non-hdtv) will look squished since they're meant to be viewed 4:3.

As for the DVD...go into the setup of the DVD player itself and tell it that you're using a 16:9 ratio TV. You didn't list which model TV you've got, but it most likely has DRC, which will make most images look great (after it's been worn in a bit and tweaked with Avia or VE). If your player has component video outs...definitely use those. If you can afford it, a progressive scan player like the Denon DVD-900 would be an awesome addition...but it's not critical at this point.

DVDs that are anamorphic will require using the 16:9 enhanced mode. If you look at an older movie like my old True Lies that is non-anamorphic (formatted in letterbox directly on the disc)then make sure the 16:9 is off.

Have fun with the new goods Posted Image
I'm a ****ing idiot 'cause I can't make a lamp?
No, you're a genius 'cause you can't make a lamp.
What do you know about trigonometry?
I could care less about trigonometry.
Did you know without trigonometry there would be no engineering? Without lamps there'd be no light.

#3 of 8 Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:28 PM

thank u so much for ur answers Posted Image very helpfull

btw

i got the kv-32fs100.. and it was only 599.00 OMG Posted Image i luv sales at frys electronics!

"tweaked with Avia or VE" what are these? setup dvds?

thanks for the answers Posted Image

i plan to DIY my own component cables soon too...

#4 of 8 Ronn.W

Ronn.W

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 02:19 AM

Avia and Video Essentials DVDs are setup DVDs. They allow you to do a basic callibration on the set to get all the color levels, brightness, sharpness, etc. set properly. You definitely want one. Another good basic one is Sound & Vision, made by the mag of the same name.

#5 of 8 Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 02:39 AM

Hey Nathan,

Ronn couldn't have said it better. If you do a search on these names in the forum you'll get tons of info. I use Avia myself. Got it from Amazon.com, but there are lots of online resources. It's still best to wait a month or so to allow the picture tube to wear in some. The picture will change to one degree or another during that time. After that, it's a good idea to give it a calibration checkup every few months.

If you plan to get into surround sound, one of these setup DVDs will help you there too, providing test patterns and instruction for calibrating a full surround package. Avia has a great 20-30 minute tutorial at the beginning for hometheater beginners.

Hope you know what you've gotten yourself into.Posted Image
I'm a ****ing idiot 'cause I can't make a lamp?
No, you're a genius 'cause you can't make a lamp.
What do you know about trigonometry?
I could care less about trigonometry.
Did you know without trigonometry there would be no engineering? Without lamps there'd be no light.

#6 of 8 Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 02:35 PM

lol im already into it Posted Image

iv been into surround sound for awile now... the tv was kinda the last part i added oddly

im going to be shure and pickup one of those DVDs thx guyz

my humble setup in my 10x9 bedroom lol

Sony WEGA KS-32fs100
Kenwood VR-505 [soon Denon 2803 hopfully]
Fluance AV-HTB surround package
Computer at the center of it all
watercooled AMD beast Posted Image w/ radeon 9700
ill get a dvd player soon for now my pc's dvd player will work

#7 of 8 James Davis

James Davis

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 05:25 PM

Chuckster has some very good tips about tweaking Wegas, if you aren't afraid of getting in the service menu. I adjusted the oversqueeze in 16x9 mode(note: asp1, not asp on my kv27fs100), and turned off red push(axpl^ and axnt^) but didn't adjust the numbers of red. Using Avia it looks like my reds are now between 5-0% over, not bad Posted Image

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/ (check specific brand tips)

Here are the two I used.
http://www.users.muo...oversqueeze.htm (for fixing oversqueeze)
http://www.users.muo.....htm?KeohiHDTV (for adjusting red)

#8 of 8 Ronn.W

Ronn.W

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 02:46 AM

James, thanks for the links!

Now if only I could find the tweak that turned on the hidden HDTV capabilities and the function for it to clean my cat's litterbox I'd be set!