What's new

Battle of Britain DVD (1 Viewer)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I noticed this dvd is soon to be released and tried running a search on the forum tonight,but it's tied up. Anyway, the review I did see on another dvd site gave it a thumbs up. I was just wondering if anybody has some other input to offer. I believe it was released originally in the early 60's.and done fairly well with alot of actual footage.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Karl I assume you're talking about the movie 'Battle of Britain' released in 1969 with Laurence Olivier, Michael Caine, Robert Shaw etc?

It's a huge favorite of mine and can't wait to get it on dvd, sadly it's not in Digital Stereo and there are no extras, but at least we're getting it in the proper ratio.

As far as I know real WWII footage was not used in the film, it was all done with models and full sized planes, and very well done too, nearly half of this film consists of air battles, really amazing.

Composer Ron Goodwin did a memorable theme for it, the original composer was William Walton but his music was dumped and replaced by Goodwin's, you can hear a few minutes of Waltons music during the last air battle over London.

The film was a huge hit in Britain but a flop in the States.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Steve Christou wrote :
....sadly it's not in Digital Stereo

The original mix for this film, by Gordon K. MaCallum in theater 2 at Pinewood Studios, is mono.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I'll definitely get this, just to watch the planes - they cleaned out the Spanish air force, which still had a number of license-built Me-109s and He-111s flying, but with Merlin engines. They also searched the world for flyable Spitfires and Hurricanes, so they're the real stars of the movie.

Early in the film a Hurricane does a roll over a column marching in France and there's a wonderful popping as the engine stutters - they had a carburetor, you know.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
they cleaned out the Spanish air force, which still had a number of license-built Me-109s and He-111s flying, but with Merlin engines
I think they were Hispano-Suiza engines (at least some); but no matter - in the air BoB is fantastic. One the ground, it's rather more ordinary, but I'm still disappointed that (a) it's a bare bones release (here's hoping for R2), and (b) the rumoured restoration of Sir William Walton's score hasn't taken place. Again, I'm rooting for R2.

---
So many films, so little time...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hmmm it is possible the eventual region 2 will have a few extras, but I ain't holding my breath, there's no announcement of a release over here yet, well I can't wait to get BoB on DVD (BoB?) so it's Bare-Bones BoB r1 for me.:)

ps. A Bridge Too Far is being re-released on region 2 in a special edition next month,
2 discs packed with extras (I hope), nice.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The film was a huge hit in Britain but a flop in the States.
I don't even remember it showing in the theaters around here back in 1969. I was 16 years old at the time: prime age for glorious war epics. Maybe we were too busy watching the moon landings......or upset about the Vietnam draft.

Sad thing is that it's a favorite of mine yet I've never seen a version other than my P&S VHS. What a travesty.

"Winston would pick on a day like this...."
The film came out 5 years before Ultra was disclosed. This scene always gets me laughing because Winston actually knew beforehand that it would be THE critical day.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Dennis if they had Henry Fonda in it as the Prime Minister and Charlton Heston as the main star than maybe it would have had a chance across the pond...
and also Telly Savalas, Donald Sutherland, and Charles Bronson as a team of wisecracking Spitfire pilots, yeah.... erm no....:D

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A Bridge Too Far is being re-released on region 2 in a special edition next month,
2 discs packed with extras (I hope), nice.
I was hoping so too, but it seems to have disappeared from most R2 sites, and at play.com (where I first spotted it), the date is listed as T.B.A.

---
So many films, so little time...

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
it seems to have disappeared from most R2 sites
I sure hope it is not cancelled. Bridge Too Far SE was announced recently in Holland with a release date of May 7. I called a shop today to see if they got it early. They didn't but they confirmed the release date. Hopefully I will have it in my hands next week :).

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I can't wait to pick this one up. Thanks for all the inside info about the planes and music etc...,you guys are great! The more I've learned about the sacrifices and hardships the British had to overcome, I can't help but admire the British and the will of their nation,truly an inspiration to all people in overcoming hardships.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
So this comes out next Tuesday - anbody receive review copies yet? Has anyone seen reviews of this title? I'm getting it anyway but am contemplating extra copies to go into my gift closet.

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
The more I've learned about the sacrifices and hardships the British had to overcome, I can't help but admire the British and the will of their nation,truly an inspiration to all people in overcoming hardships.
nicely said Karl.....thanks.

But you know we are glad to acknowledge some assistence from some very brave allied pilots from Canada, Australia, France and volunteers from Ireland which was neutral.

Sadly this release isn't quite what the film deserves. Good to have it in OAR, but the sound is dull and low level. It also cries out for a commentary from an historian to take one thru the action.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
They also searched the world for flyable Spitfires and Hurricanes, so they're the real stars of the movie.
Sadly, one of those Hurricanes, which was borrowed from a Canadian museum, was destroyed in a fire some years later (I read about it in an aviation magazine).

Upon finding that it was available for pre-order, I put one in at Deep Discount.

I first saw this one at a drive-in outside of Regina, Saskatchewan in 1970 or so, as part of a double feature (Support Your Local Sheriff was the other title).

RD

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So this comes out next Tuesday - anbody receive review copies yet? Has anyone seen reviews of this title?
The DVD went out weeks ago, but I guess most folks have decided to review better known titles first. Speaking for myself, I plan to get to it eventually, but I've had to deal with other discs before I get to it. I expect more reviews will start to appear soon, though...

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Oh yes, speaking of "allstars" the guy behind the camera was Freddie Young. Didn't he shoot some other good films IIRC? :p)

I can't help but admire the British and the will of their nation,truly an inspiration to all people in overcoming hardships.
Too bad MGM didn't extend the favor to their treatment of Exodus..... :thumbsdown:

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
The Director of this film was certainly capable. Guy Hamilton also directed a little film called GOLDFINGER.

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
Robert;

The Hurricane & a Spitfire were destroyed in a fire here at the Canadian Warplane Heritage museum in Hamilton Ontario. If I recall correctly, they have another Hurricane, and a Spitfire(on loan from the National Aviation Museum, in Ottawa). This Spitfire isn't in flying condition. Last time I was there, they told me that the Spitfire would cost about 1 million to get to flying order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks