-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

suggestions for home theater components

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Richard_Long

• 14 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 03:52 PM

I recently came into some money and am looking to setup my first home theater. I have asked for and received much advice from the basice forum on what television I should choose and have thus narrowed it down to either a Sony KV-34XBR800 or a Sony KV-32HS510 (both are widescreen). I was also told to choose my display device then choose my speakers, amplifier and receiver. I am here to get suggestions on what speakers and receiver I should get and also to find out whether or not I may need an amplifier. I have only looked at these components for a few the last few hours since I was previously considering a Sony "home theater in a box" system, until I was told and read reviews that those systems don't offer good quality sound. I have decided to turn to the forum for advice because since I started looking for my audio components I have discovered that I know absolutely nothing about home theater audio. So hit me with any suggestions you may have or advice you can give. I want to spend under or around $1200 for all the audio components. I will be willing to go a little higher since I believe in quality over quantity. So far the only components I have come up with are: Sony STR-DE485 reciever Sony SA-VE345 six speaker set Sony DVP-NC655P/B DVD player In case you can't tell I have a Sony jones but I am definitely open to other brands. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated. Richard

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Arup

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 11:21 PM

If you go SONY then go for their ES series. Also audition Yamaha recievers and speakers as well as Marantz, Denon and Onkyo.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

• 1,620 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:36 AM

Personally I'd get the new
Pioneer VSXD912 6.1

Jbl s26 (front/rear)
Jbl S-center

SVS PCi 25-31

Grand total of $1400. This would be a VERY respectable sound setup for the price range, trust me I can't see you beating this setup at that price. A excellent HT receiver, THE BEST sub for the money, and some terrifice speakers for that price.

And if those televisions cost more than 2 grand, I'd get a front projector, hands down.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Richard_Long

• 14 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 03:44 AM

Thanks for the point in the right direction, I will definitely take a look at those. What types of cables should I use to hook all this equipment up? Any suggestions out there? I've heard Monster cables are good but I really have no idea. Thanks for the help Richard

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Richard Moya

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 07:39 AM

I second the Sony ES recommendation. I recently purchased a STRDA2ES and I am quite pleased with it. If you leave room for future expansion, go with the DA4ES with 7.1 decoding.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Thomas_Berg

• 1,427 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 06:24 PM

Harman/Kardon '320-Z $399 or Marantz SR7200 $499

see your local Paradigm dealer for speakers ($500)

Adire Audio RAVA sub $399

for DVD players, see your local Best Buy/CC for their selection of Panasonic players. $80-125

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 03:29 AM

I had an old Sony receiver that I thought was really not user friendly. I have a Sony TV and DVD player. I love their video products but am not sold on their audio. I have an H/K AVR125 receiver and love it. I also have 4 Polk R20 and CSi30 center speakers. I think make a really good match with the HK. I got all of this for around $800. Well below your price range. I think it sounds really really good for the money. I would like to add a subwoofer(leasebreaker) to my system...but I don't think my neighbors would like it. There are tons of options out there. I would go to a Circuit City or some other store in your area and take a listen.
If it wasn't enough, they wouldn't call it the minimum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users