What's new

How to get stripped screw out of laptop? (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I was removing the back of my TiBook to install an Airport card and several of the screws are stripped. I used the recommended Torx 8 screwdriver.

So now I have two stuck screws and no way to install the Airport card. Is there any way to remove them? Or should I just schlep on down to the Apple Store this weekend and see what they can do? Needless to say, I'm peeved. :angry:

Thanks!

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
maybe you can try some threadlocking compound to help get the screws out (lock the screwdriver to the screw). if that doesn't work, you'll probably have to drill 'em out, not a fun job. I'd take it to the Apple store. The TiBooks are a nightmare to get open, and even more difficult to get closed properly, which is why I've taken to ordering them with everything that I'd ever want inside already installed (RAM is the exception, it's easy to get to being right under the keyboard). Let us know how it goes.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Don mentioned the only 2 ways that I know how to get a stripped screw out. Thread compound (like glue) where you can connect your screw driver, wait for it to dry, and then turn it slowly. Second would be to drill but the screws you were undoing are probably too small for that option.

KyleS

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Sometimes I've had some luck using an allen key or hex screwdriver to remove Torx screws. You might have to try the next bigger size. Must be some really tight screws if you stripped a Torx.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I've been able to get them out using downward force on a Phillips-head screwdriver. Of course, you'll need to order new screws to put back in.

I want to hook up my network NOW!
No problem. Just run a trusty old CAT-5 cable to the Ethernet port. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks