-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony RM-AV3000 versus Home Theater Master MX-500?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 BrianS

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 10:55 AM

I am stressing over which one to purchase since both can be had online for about the same price. I have a pretty nice home theater but a remote has always been the last thing on my mind. A buddy has the Sony 2100 remote and was telling me about the things it can do and that I could toss my half-dozen remotes with a purchase of the right one.

I have looked over the www.remotecentral.com website as well as a few others. The MX-500 seems to be getting better reviews than the RMAV3000 but I just want to be sure. I have no idea which one is newer. My friend tells me that macros are where its at but I truly have little knowledge about this stuff. I read the reviews and most of the extras & functions that they talk about I don't understand (I do better when it's in my hands). I have done some searches but have not seen any direct comparisions to these two remotes (and the search function has been down).

The components that I have are a Mitsubishi HDTV, Denon Receiver, Denon DVD player, Scientific Atlanta HD cable box, Pinoneer Laserdisc, and a Phillips CR-burner/player. I also have an Xbox hooked up to all this. Thanks for your help, opinions, etc.

#2 of 6 SeanA

SeanA

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 02:03 PM

I bought the Sony for $100 just a few days ago... and so far so good. I have not tried any macros yet, but was able to program all the basic commands I desired using the "learning" function. It took about 2 hours tops to program in my TV, receiver, DVD player, VCR, STB, and programmable antenna. Everything worked as expected. You can change the label names for the screen buttons, and delete buttons you don't want.

I think it was definitely worth the $100, but I can't offer any comparison to the MX-500.
Sean
Samsung HL-R4667W DLP, Denon DVD-1600, Sony DVPNS75H, H/K AVR 225, Wharfedale Emeralds and Diamonds

#3 of 6 Richard Moya

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 08:11 AM

Sean,

Did you get this new for 100? and if so, where?
thanks
Richard

#4 of 6 MikeSRC

MikeSRC

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 09:48 AM

The main differences between the AV3000 and the MX-500 are that the AV3000's primarily a touchscreen remote, while the MX-500's an all-button remote. Most people have a preference one way or the other for buttons or touchscreen, so that's the first decision you need to make.

Other differences: The AV3000 really requires two hands to operates it due to its width, while the MX-500 is a true one-hander. Tha AV3000 can control 18 devices, compared to the MX-500's ten. The AV3000 also has more available full macros. Some of the AV3000's touchscreen buttons can be relabeled, but not many. All of the MX-500's LCD-labeled buttons can be relabeled.

Hope that helps.
Enjoy!

Mike
SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com

#5 of 6 SeanA

SeanA

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 02:47 PM

Richard,

Sorry so late on getting back to you. I bought it brand new at eCost.com. They often have some pretty good pricing. The only caveat is that their return policy is pretty poor. The shipping was also free, but than they snuck in a $6.00 handling charge which I thought was pretty cheesy. In general, I much prefer to buy from Amazon... but the price was just too good to pass up at eCost.
Sean
Samsung HL-R4667W DLP, Denon DVD-1600, Sony DVPNS75H, H/K AVR 225, Wharfedale Emeralds and Diamonds

#6 of 6 BrianS

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 08:59 AM

Mike...thanks for the response. There weren't many resonses here but I found some more reviews elsewhere & I decided on the MX-500. Since you responded, I checked out your website & bought it from you. Thanks!