-

Photo
- - - - -

What is up with DVDA and SACD CONTENT?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#61 of 65 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:46 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ: hirez always improves the sound of instruments. And any consumer can hear the difference on a modest system on most recordings.

As I said, it's a marginal improvement.
In some cases, I couldn't hear the difference - ie. the extremely crappy sounding "Just Push Play" from Aerosmith.

And from my experience, most people I demo'd for couldn't tell the difference between the CD and SACD - and that's with some damn impressive SACDs.
These are the same people who couldn't tell the difference between a CD and a 128kbps MP3.

#62 of 65 OFFLINE   RobBenton

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:51 PM

I also am of the younger crowd (24 here) and have a nice 5.1 system and dvd-a and SACD and would love more recent stuff like coldplay or john mayer or any modern rock. I think some of that while maybe not taking huge advantage of Hi res might at the very least be great in 5.1 sound. I agree that a lot of people my age won't care about higher quality sound but I do think they would spend money on some cool music in 5.1. While linkin park's DVD-A may not be the best sonically it is really cool to listen to and a great party disc for when friends are over.

#63 of 65 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 03:08 PM

Rob said:

Quote:
I think some of that while maybe not taking huge advantage of Hi res might at the very least be great in 5.1 sound. I agree that a lot of people my age won't care about higher quality sound but I do think they would spend money on some cool music in 5.1.

What I've been saying all along!!! Thank you! I played this in an older Best Buy with a full-size 5.1 JBL/Yamaha system & it drew a "crowd" of 7 young people who all liked it.

Quote:
While linkin park's DVD-A may not be the best sonically it is really cool to listen to and a great party disc for when friends are over.

I totally, totally agree Rob.

LJ

#64 of 65 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 12:33 PM

Let me say this right now. If Linkin Park's album, Meteora comes out on DVD-A, I will probably wind up buying it. As I have said many times, I want more metal on DVD-A/SACD!! I am part of the younger crowd, and would love to take advantage of the technology, but there is not enough content that really interests me as an individual.
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#65 of 65 OFFLINE   Kristoffer

Kristoffer

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted July 01 2003 - 02:28 AM

But again where is Radiohead on SACD ? or DVD A ?
OK computer has been nominated as the best rock album of the nineties by many!
Or Coldplay or Depeche Mode or??
Where are they?
Radiohead SACDs would make me buy a player!

Forum Nav Content I Follow