What's new

What is up with DVDA and SACD CONTENT? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Is this format dying before it even started? I was very interested in these formats until I decide to peruse some titles. Is there anything recent coming out on these formats? Where is Wilco, Radiohead, Coldplay, Phish, Flaming Lips, or ANYTHING recent? Does a hi res copy of a Creedence Clearwater Revival album need to be made? Does HiRes even do anything for such ancient recordings? Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune? Oh please GOD no! I've listened to all of these albums on vinyl and then on CD. Do we need them AGAIN? Where is the new stuff? Where is the stuff that will really SHINE on these formats?

Granted, there have been some great titles like Zappa - Halloween, Donald Fagan, Steely Dan, Trey Anastasio, Glen Phillips and some others but where's the beef?

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Patrick, most recent releases have had all their dynamics taken out of them - I have read time and time again their loudness is boosted and limiters are used so that they sound "the loudest" on radio and boomboxes. I'd say they are the ones that would sound equally bad on *any* format out there.

I think remastering old albums is quite worthwile. I'd say I can't remember *any* modern album that sounds as good as the MoFi UltraDisc II version of "Tales of Mistery and Imagination" by Alan Parsons, for example.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Linkin Park's Meteora and Madonna's American Life are RUMORED to be coming out on dvd-audio.

Go to this HFR review and read the very last paragraph; and to the LP Association site (scroll down a little bit) and you'll see what I mean.

And the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots IS coming out on dvd-audio (later this summer I think).

LJ

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head (you should check out the good music sites like amusicdirect.com for full listings):

On SACD, there are or soon will be recent releases (say, stuff released within the past 3 years) from Beck, David Bowie, Ryan Adams, Five For Fighting, Alice in Chains, Norah Jones, Tony Bennett, Peter Gabriel, Alison Krauss, Chick Corea, Keb'Mo, Indigo Girls, Aimee Mann, Diana Krall, Bryan Ferry, Patricia Barber, Bonjovi, James Taylor, Three Doors Down, Nickel Creek, Dolly Parton, Shaggy, Jon Hiatt, Cassandra Wilson, Steve Earle, Shania Twain, Roger Waters, Ozzy Osbourne, Destiny's Child, Al DiMeola, Sigur Rós, Celine Dion, Joe Satriani, the Jayhawks, Oasis, Sade, the Wallflowers, Aaron Neville, Aerosmith, Cowboy Junkies, and of course many, many newly minted classical recordings.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
...and the lead thread on this forum was that there are new SACD's from Heart and Creedence! Whoopee. Dream Boat Annie in hires. :yawn:

And the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots IS coming out on dvd-audio (later this summer I think).
And its THE title that got me truly intested (and the Zappa release) but after that, I can't see much thats too enticing.

as for the poster who suggested new recordings aren't up to snuff, I would guess that a HiRes multichannel recording of Radiohead's Paranoid Android would be something to behold indeed. :) (And I'm not even a big Radiohead fan)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
When I went through the list of DVD-As out there, there's only about six titles I wanted. But with the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds and Surf's Up (and a rumored Hits in 5.1) coming out this year, I'll have to get a universal player.

I've picked up a few DVD-A titles already (Fragile, Rumors, Harvest, Days of Future Passed) and I picked up Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Live at the BBC and was shocked to hear it in surround (weren't these mono recordings)? Albatross is amazing!

But I agree looking through the DVD-A titles it looked like a who's who of Adult Contemporary. At least Beck is on SACD.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I sometimes need to force myself to purchase something in DVD-A or SACD. I'm very dissaponted in the selection of both formats.:thumbsdown:

george king

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

Just a question, how old are you? I know, and have heard all of the bands you mentioned, and, admittedly, IMHO, none of them have any enduring power (I will admit I could be wrong).

Yes a high resolution copy of CCR, Bowie, Clapton, Hendrix, and the others do need to be made, because they are classics.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I know, and have heard all of the bands you mentioned, and, admittedly, IMHO, none of them have any enduring power (I will admit I could be wrong).
The Flaming Lips have endured for 20 years now. ;)

I empathize with Patrick to an extent; I would also like to see more modern artists supported. At the same time, the current crop of releases has gotten me into artists I probably wouldn't have discovered "on my own", so I'm grateful for what's already out there as well.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
But I agree looking through the DVD-A titles it looked like a who's who of Adult Contemporary. At least Beck is on SACD.
Where are the Linkin Park SACDs? Insane Clown Posse? They are on DVD-A.

Talk about a silly pissing contest but both formats suck for 'current generation' music.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Does a hi res copy of a Creedence Clearwater Revival album need to be made?
Yes. Have you heard them?

Why does the value of a format have to be based solely on the amount of new rock bands that are represented on it? What about classical and the wealth of other music out there? There's more to music than the Flaming Lips and Radiohead.

NP: Opeth, Damnation

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Being stuck with the same music from 10, 20, etc. years ago is cultural/musical stagnation--I don't care how good it sounds.

While Da Vinci obviously put out some pretty good stuff in his time :D, I am VERY glad people like Monet, Kandinsky, and Picasso believed in pushing the envelope. Frumpy chicks named Mona squeezing out tiny smiles gets old pretty quick........

Staying power? CCR was quite political in its time (we need outspoken people during bad times, so this is a good thing). But that's the problem for me: THEIR time. Most of what they sing about I cannot relate to.

So, I for one am getting tired of seeing the same old crap on the upcoming release lists.

LJ

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Most of what they sing about I cannot relate to.
Well, I'm only 25, so CCR isn't of "my time" either, but I can still dig it. Same goes for Bach and Coltrane. It doesn't matter when it was made.

But that's the point: just because the music you don't like is on the format doesn't mean there's something wrong with the format. If they put Linkin Park and Insane Clown Posse on SACD, I wouldn't complain that they're doing that instead of stuff I like, I just wouldn't buy those discs.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
So, I for one am getting tired of seeing the same old crap on the upcoming release lists.
I didn't know Queen, Pink Floyd, The Police, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Roger Waters, Eric Clapton, REM, the Rolling Stones, et al were now considered "the same old crap". I guess Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Pink and stuff like that are really cool, after all. :frowning:

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
I suspect that they'll start putting out more SACD editions of recent CDs when they figure out a way to compress and maximize the crap out of them in hi-res, as they do with many current redbook releases. You'll then be able to hear digital clipping in all its hi-res glory.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Please people, no need to have a generational flame war.

George - if you read my profile and my previous post you would know how old I am. I am 35. Of course Creedence is great. I have 500 vinyl albums. Blah blah blah. I am not too close minded to value and RESPECT current stuff as well.

the point is not which music is BETTER but which was recorded in a way that would benefit the most from hires/multichannel. CCR was guitars, bass, drums playing pretty standard blues/rock. Something like Steely Dan (which kicks ass on DVDA) is recorded and mixed with multiple instruments on multiple tracks. The results can be breathtaking. Now, take something like CCR and do the same thing and you hear Suzie Q the SAME way - there is nothing to add.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
SACD and DVD-A are still a high-end business and they need to milk as much money out of rich people before they start catering to the masses. Old rich people are not going to buy the next Third Eye Blind album.

Conversly. If you are a skate punk listening to your tunes on a Discman or are downloading all your music off the net, what do you care about SACD or DVD-A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks