What's new

Inexpensive 32" TV recommendations? (1 Viewer)

David Taylor

Agent
I'm looking for a TV for the bedroom. I will have it hooked up to a satellite receiver and a DVD player. I will have no external audio--I will just be using the TV speakers.

The wife bought a cabinet that will house up to a 32" TV, so I figure I might as well go for the biggest that will fit. Best Buy has a Sharp (model 32U-S50) for only $349. Are Sharp TVs any good quality-wise? This one has minimal inputs/no outputs, but would be fine for the bedroom. Does anyone know of any other TVs in the same price range that would be better?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

David Taylor

Agent
Personally, I've had bad luck with Toshibas and plan to avoid them. I know many people love theirs, but I've had several problems:

1) First Toshiba (27") only lasted 5 years or so before it went out.
2) Second Toshiba (36" Cinema series) started having intermitten problems where I would get a blank tube (not even black--just no power to it) but would get sound. Fought them and finally got a credit 9 months later.
3) Had a good friend buy a Tosh projection TV and had one of the guns go out in the first year.
4) Bought a Tosh DVD changer and had no end of problems with it. It would just hang on DVDs for no reason.

I've just had too many iffy experiences to go with Toshiba again. Thanks for the input though.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Myself, I don't like the only 3 Watts a Channel Audio Amp on the Sharp & I would check to see if it has bass, trebble & balance controls because a lot of the cheaper sets don't. I would also take a look at the CurtisMathes set that K-Mart has. It's just a Samsung clone & it has 5 watts a channel, bass, trebble & balance controls. I don't know about this years model but last years even did the dvd "Squeeze Trick" The set can be had for under $400.00 Seeing your unhappy with Toshiba I would also look at some lower priced JVC models. Believe me, when your checking the sets out make sure you check for volume levels & tone controls especially if your not going to hook the set to a receiver & wiil be living with the tv's sound quality. Remember saving an extra $50 or so now isn't going to make you very happy if 2 years from now your kicking yourself for getting the cheapest set.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I would think the sharp would have the audio output connectors. You could always hook up an old used stereo nobody wants if the 3 watt internal amp isn't loud enough. I did this for awhile with an old HK stereo receiver that was going to be tossed. I just ran cables from the tv audio out to the tape in on the receiver and used the tape monitor button on the receiver to switch it on. Also I would think the sharp would have component inputs to hook up a dvd player. Let us know what you get!

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
I would think the sharp would have the audio output connectors. You could always hook up an old used stereo nobody wants if the 3 watt internal amp isn't loud enough. I did this for awhile with an old HK stereo receiver that was going to be tossed. I just ran cables from the tv audio out to the tape in on the receiver and used the tape monitor button on the receiver to switch it on. Also I would think the sharp would have component inputs to hook up a dvd player. Let us know what you get!
Click on the comparison in my earlier post -- Unlike the bottom-of-the-line Toshiba, the Sharp has no audio out connection and no component input.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
If your looking for one for the bedroom...I'd say go with the 32' Sharp...great TV's for a great price...

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I usually don't give Consumer Reports much credit for their ratings but I thought I would pass this on to you anyway.

The Sharp 32U-S60 came in last place out of the 16 32" sets they tested with ratings of:

Antenna/Cable Input - FAIR
S-Video Input - VERY GOOD
Sound Quality - POOR
Overall Score: FAIR
CR: Low-priced, but compromises include picture & sound quality.

JVC AV-32330 (Came in 6th place)
Antenna/Cable - GOOD
S-Video Input - VERY GOOD
Sound Quality - VERY GOOD
Overall Score: GOOD
CR: A GOOD VALUE.

The Sharp was the only set that had an overall rating of fair in the tests.

Myself for the money & features the Curtis/Mathes set is better than both of them. I had the same problem as you with older Sharp sets. I had two that the power supplies went on them & on both sets I was told that they were cheap power supplies that's why they went. But maybe Sharp has fixed that problem now? Also I'll bet if you fight with them you can get the JVC set down under the $400 mark too.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I love my JVC 32" D series TV. The picture quality is excellent. I'm actually looking to downsize to a 24,25 or 27" TV myself.

And about the flat screen. The D series aren't "flat-screen" TV's technically, but they aren't exactly fish-bowls either. From normal viewing distance, they are fine. I think the picture looks better than the i-Art or Sony Trinitron or other flat screens myself.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Wow David, you were right, that is a bare bones sharp set with minimal inputs and no outputs. I thought the manufacturers quit making this setup a couple of years ago,lol! Check out the JVC line. I bought my mom a 27D303 for Christmas for $300.00 at CC. Not a flat screen, but plenty of features and nice color! I'm sure JVC makes a "D" series in the 32" size too.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If you have a Sam's Club near you they have the 32" JVC AV-32S33 for $378.44 Circuit City has them on their website at the clearance price of $499.99 If you don't have a Sam's Club near you see if Circuit City will match Sam's price & they can check it on Sam's Club website. Circuit City also has 26 owner reviews of this set on their website. If you can stand going down to a 27" set check out the flat tube AKAI (A Samsung clone) for $318 at Sam's & If you have a BJ's Club near you I understand that they have the 27" flat tube JVC for $299.00 You might also want to check the reviews on all sets at www.audioreview.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks