Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Books

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Matthew Will

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 05:49 AM

Hello,
Compared to a lot of people here I am still a beginner. I do not understand things like how to wire speakers correctly in a system since I've only dealt with basic stereos. I don't know the different formats for video and how they work within a home theater. So I was wondering.

What are the best books out there to teach the basics to semi-difficult topics? Is there one bible book that covers both audio and video or would I be best buying two seperate books? I bought the car stereo cookbook for audio a few years ago but home audio is something entirely different.

Again, I'm looking for something to explain both audio AND video. What are your suggestions? Thanks. Matt

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Barry BB

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 09:34 AM

I have never found a good book on Home Theater.

I think that your best source of information is this site right here. Between the HTF primer and knowledgeable members that will answer your questions without making you feel like an idiot you will learn more than from any book that you will find.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 09:48 AM

Yeah I would just ask questions. No one will think your questions are stupid. Because everyone here had to ask the very same questions at some point. Mike
HT - Denon 3808ci | Elite Pro-111FD | PS3 60gb | Panamax 5300PM | NHT ST4 | NHT SB2 | NHT SC1 | SVS 20-39 | NHT SA3

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   LarryGM

LarryGM

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 10:14 AM

Matt:

I agree with others that this forum is a great place to learn and communicate, but sometimes it's helpful if information is organized in a logical or sequential nature.

I found this book (http://www.htexplained.com/index.htm) to be very helpful to me about a year ago when I considered myself in the same position as you. It includes audio and video as you wanted, is probably 125-150 pages, and very well written.

I believe the website allows you to preview chapters by clicking on the table of contents. Maybe you won't even have to buy the book. I noticed the addition of a "Beyond the Book" section that is new. I may have to take a look at that myself.

The only thing missing which I would've loved to have seen covered in depth was HTPCs, but that may have been a book all by itself.

Larry

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Matthew Will

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 10:17 AM

Well I think, although the people here are great, it can be hard to get an answer sometimes. There are plenty of posts that have replies that tell some to just search the forums. Id rather read something over and over that goes from very beginning to end on how things work together. Matt

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:39 AM

Quote:
Id rather read something over and over that goes from very beginning to end on how things work together.

Nice idea, but there are SO MANY options that the description would be too generic or too detailed. The detail would be nice, but only if that system matches yours in types of components and the way it's wired.

In concept, a HT system is not that hard to hook up, or even understand the basics. But there is a lot of detail behind-the-scenes.

We have different fourms that break these out. The Audio Video sources fourm is great for DVD players/Sat/CATV (sources). The Receivers/Amp section is dedicated to the HT receiver (the heart of the system). Finally the Speakers and Display Devices handle the output.

So dive into the buffet Posted Image