Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV Show Cartoon oddities on a WSTV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 03:56 AM

First off:
[rant]Since I originally had this in the DVD Software section, by post #12 I've come to realize this is probably a TV issue and not a DVD player issue[/rant]

I don't know if this is common on most tvs (or just mine), but anytime I watch a cartoon series (i.e. Futurama, SpongeBob, Family Guy, etc.) I get a strange thing happen when I set my widescreen tv to it's 'standard' mode (i.e. Adding the grey bars to the sides so that the video is 4x3).

Everything seems ok, excpet some colors (mainly the reds and oranges) seem to be jagged. The black lines around a character look ok and other colors don't exhibit this effect, but the reds and oranges almost seems to have a rippled effect. When I have the tv set to its 'normal' mode (where the image fills the screen), then everything looks fine.

Has anyone else noticed this?

#2 of 12 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 05:03 AM

Are you seeing chroma noise? This produces a wavy sort of appearance, and mainly afflicts reds. See
http://www.hometheat....e-10-2000.html (towards the very bottom).

If the blacks were affected, then I'd say it was a case of improper flagging, but if they're OK I'd guess chroma is the culprit. Nothing to be done other than buy a different player.

#3 of 12 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 05:25 AM

Quote:
Are you seeing chroma noise?
That's quite possible. It's wierd how it only does it when I have the tv set to the 4x3 mode and not the 16x9 mode. Although my player is a few years old so maybe it's time for a new one.

I'll see if I can take some digital photos and post them here.

#4 of 12 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 05:29 AM

It is just artifacts of the downsampling/downscaling that is done with most sets/players when creating a windowboxed image.

#5 of 12 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
It is just artifacts of the downsampling/downscaling that is done with most sets/players when creating a windowboxed image.
So you think it's the TV and not the player?

#6 of 12 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 06:06 AM

Yep.

#7 of 12 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 09:47 AM

Well, I tried to photograph the rippled effect on my tv. Hopefully the captures show it well enough to see what's happening.

The following is a portion of a frame from "Family Guy" with the tv set to 16x9 (i.e. the image filled the screen):
Posted Image

and here's the same frame, with the tv set to 4x3 mode (i.e. the grey bars added to the sides):
Posted Image

Hopefully you can make out the stairstepped effect in the orange color.

#8 of 12 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,964 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:15 PM

maybe your tv needs to be calibrated and the convergence adjusted.

facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 12 Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 03:22 PM

Is this a Mitsubishi set? One of mine does this but only on the builtin tuner. I was able to get rid of it on all interfaces with an ISF calibration. Its a bad case of Chroma Delay. But only in 'narrow' mode.

#10 of 12 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted April 28 2003 - 03:38 PM

I had a Mits...did the same thing. I got rid of the TV after 4 trips to the shop. I never found what caused it, and they never fixed it.

#11 of 12 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 04:12 PM

If this were convergence related it would affect the stretched image as well. From a raster standpoint the TV is almost certainly in the same display mode. Typically a 16:9 HD set only has two sets of convergence settings: 16:9 480p, and 16:9 1080i.

The picture makes it quite apparent (to me) that this problem is originating in the sets digital section.

The set is digitally scaling down the image to display in grey-bar windowboxed mode and this is where the problem likely occurs.

I would strongly suggest contacting the manufacturer and an ISF tech who has worked with the same model of set.

If this thread were in the Display Devices area it probably would have garnered the attention of an ISF tech or two by now.

#12 of 12 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 03:31 AM

Quote:
Is this a Mitsubishi set?
Yes it is.
Quote:
I was able to get rid of it on all interfaces with an ISF calibration.
I assume I would need a tech guy to do this?

Quote:
If this thread were in the Display Devices area it probably would have garnered the attention of an ISF tech or two by now.
Now that it sounds like the tv and not the disc, maybe a MOD can move it there.

Back to Display Devices (TVs/Projectors/Screens)

Forum Nav Content I Follow