Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rolling Bars in DVD Picture

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   RachelP

RachelP

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 02:30 AM

Hello, I have an Apex DVD player and when I play DVD's I get rolling vertical lines which scroll horizontally from left to right across the screen. This happens on all DVD's (and I've only played Region 1 so I don't think that's the problem) and it happens at random - it's not that way all the time. This exact same problem happened on my first DVD player, a very inexpensive Apex which I exchanged for the much upgraded one I have now. I had it hooked up via the S-Video connection on both players and I just switched to composite today on a hunch that the cable might be bad. It greatly improved the problem and though I still have the rolling lines occasionally, they are less frequent and less noticible in appearance. Any ideas of why it would carry over from one player to the next and from S-Video to Composite hookups and what could be done to fix the issue? I would greatly appreciate any help you could give in the regard. Thanks in advance! Rachel

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 06:54 AM

Are you using the same S-vid cable you had with the old DVD player? It could be the cable. It could also be the TV. Try an hook the player up to another tv, and see if you still get the bars.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa

Dealer listing for Toronto & Area

My Shiva

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 07:33 AM

Your connection is direct from the player to the TV, right? No VCR in between? It sounds like you've encountered Macrovision.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   RachelP

RachelP

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 12:46 PM

Yes, I was using the same cable (s-video) as with the old DVD player but I began to think it might be the cable as it would be very unlikely for two players of different models to have the exact same flaw. I now have it hooked up via the compsite RCA until I purchase another S-Video cable. The problem is MUCH better with the different cable however, I did have some rolling bars (much lighter in appearance than before) go across one time during a movie (before it was every minute or so and would last several minutes). That confused me so I'm not sure what's up. The DVD is hooked up directly to the TV, NO VCR in between. What is Macrovision? Thanks for your thoughts so far... Rachel

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Bill Kane

Bill Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,373 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:06 PM

Rachel, Composite wud be a single RCA cable typically with a yellow band. The highest video signal clarity comes with the 3-plug COMPONENT cable. The TV needs to have an input for these 3 cables. Which are you using? On the off chance you dont have an equipment hardware proble, but a hard to define system electrical problem, I will ask: Do you have cableTV with the black coax cable at the wall? If so, unscrew the first terminal where accessible, and watch for a while to see if the video hum lines disappear. Let us know for further...

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   RachelP

RachelP

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:27 PM

Unfortunately, my TV doesn't have the 3 plug component video in (though my DVD supports that output). That's why I went with the S-Video - from what I've learned that's the next best thing (thoughts on this point are always welcome...). However, my current hookup is with the single yellow composite RCA. I do have digital cable but it's a white RG6 running from the wall and they also replaced all the lines in the house with RG6. Also, we moved a few months back and it was having the same rolling lines at my old place where we had mini digital satellite. That's not to say, of course, that it couldn't be a system electrical problem but those are the current and past situations. Hope that info is helpful. Thanks again! Rachel

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Bill Kane

Bill Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,373 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:44 PM

ok, this tends to rule out cableTV coax ground loop. Perhaps in the long run, swapping out (loner?) DVD player and using another S-Video cable may help isolate the interference. And welcome to the Forum!

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   RachelP

RachelP

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info and the welcome! I really appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users