What's new

Who to Call to Run Wires in-wall and Wall-Mount Speakers? (1 Viewer)

Eric_AP

Stunt Coordinator
I've decided to move my speakers off stands (fronts and surrounds). A total of 4 speakers (all Paradigm Atoms).

I need a recommendation in the Philadelphia metropolitan area for someone (or some company) to run the wires through the walls from the back of my receiver to the designated front and surround locations and wall-mount the speakers.

Can anyone give me some recommendations?

Thanks.

Eric

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Eric, just to let you know what you are getting yourself into, unless they ran the wiring underneath the baseboards it is pretty much impossible to wire through the walls once the wallboard is up. Consider that you have to drill holes through every stud (16 or 24 inches apart, running vertically from floor to ceiling) and run the wiring through the holes.

Another method is to run up one stud channel in the wall and up through the top sill into the attic, then through the attic and back down through the sill into another wall cavity where you want your speakers. Both channels in the wall must be free of any cross bracing or the wires wont go through.

The in-wall method will not be inexpensive. Get a quote from a recommended carpenter. Other options, though less concealed are exterior track systems.

Eric_AP

Stunt Coordinator
There are no wires that anyone ran along baseboards.
I had the carpet installer run wires under the carpet to one wall where one of the surrounds will go. The wire to the other surround goes behind the couch from there.

Can't the wires be run up the wall where the receiver is, then via the ceiling to the wall where the surrounds must go?

We are talking dry wall all around here. The room sits on a concrete slab -- it is the ground floor or a 3 story townhouse (no basement).

Can you tell me what you mean by exterior track systems?

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
It's not cheap, but Best Buy in my area will do it for $499. I would assume they would also have this service where you live. A buddy of mine got it and the installers did a great job. The two guys spent about 5-1/2 hours at his house and even mounted all his speakers where he wanted them. I really don't know if this is a good deal though.

Scott

Eric_AP

Stunt Coordinator
I'll check with Best Buy, but my guess is your friend purchased his equipment from them.

I already have all the equipment (aside from wires and wall-mounts).

What area are you?

To me the EZest way to run speaker cables is to cut a groove in the drywall But you need a GOOD drywall taper to repair where it was cut into.Iam a taper i know it can be done.

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in Spokane, WA and I know for a fact that you don't have to buy anything to purchase the installation.

Scott

DaveAr

Stunt Coordinator
You need to make sure which way the ceiling beams run. If they run across the width of the room, you can run the wires thru the ceiling across to the other side then down the wall. You will need to make approx 4 holes. One at the base where the wires would enter, one at the top, need to channel thru the beam where the wall meets the ceiling, then run wires across thru to the other side, repeating process backwards. Again this is as long as the ceiling beams run horizontally the way the wires would run. if not you run into the same prob that Paul spec. You don't need bestbuy, check your local pennysaver, or marketeer paper for a home improv. guy. as long as they know drywall that's all you need. Would prob be a hell of a lot cheaper than 499. Besides that's all they are gonna send, not an audio tech. I have the same dilemma here. Need to run wires to another side of room, but I have hardwood floors. Can't snake along baseboard, not aesthetically pleasing. Good Luck!;)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I know places like parts express sell speaker wire that is extremely flat and barely visible if painted to match the wall.

I've done an installation on a house snaking wire up through the wall to the attic, where the wires then easily made it to the surround locations. It took about a couple hours and I charged only $30 an hour because it was somebody I knew.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Go to Home Depot's website and search for 'On Wall Wiring', and 'Raceways' for info on the exterior tracking.

What I refered to with the Baseboard is pulling the baseboard and either cutting a groove in the back for the wires, or pushing the wires into the space behind the Baseboard between the floor and the drywall. Sometimes there is enough room there, especially in your case with carpet on concrete. The Baseboard can then be nailed back up. Rickey's idea is a good one especially if you cut the groove in the drywall and cover it with the Baseboard.

Since you are in the basement, there is no chance of going through the wall and through the sill plate, you'd have to stay on the outside of the ceiling.

Eric_AP

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the baseboard option would work -- at least for both surround speakers.

The baseboard is not continuous to one side-wall, as their is a triple pane sliding glass door on the back wall. Going the other way, there are doors and stairs. So their is no continuous baseboard to the left surround speaker from the receiver. The right surround is no problem.

I need a good contractor.

DaveAr

Stunt Coordinator
In that case, why not run both wires parallel on the right side, then place them as you need to both speakers. You can even run up thru the wall at that point if you are hanging the speakers. If not, run the wires along the back wall and split at some point to both speakers. If you are using a stand find one that allows you to hide the wires within. You sound like you have a similar setup to mine. But mine is way more complicated. While I do not have a HT system as of yet, I am in process of researching. Anyone with reco's on Axiom speakers please PM me. Anyway, my room is similar to yours. I have 1 solid wall where my entertainment system is. Across from that, approx 13 ft, a solid wall where my couch is. If you sit on the couch facing the ent system, on my left is a patio glass sliding door. On my right, there is a glass block 4 ft wall which extends 55" from the back wall, then a 55" wide opening which goes into the kitchen, then a 63" wide wall. It would be very tough for me to hide wiring. This is my sticking point. Anyone have any ideas for me? Also as I mentioned, I have a query under the speakers category, titled Axiom speakers. If anyone has ideas please read and respond. Good luck Eric!
;)

Eric_AP

Stunt Coordinator
There is no super problem getting to the right surround wall (and even running the left surround wires with the right surround to that point).

In fact, my current set-up does that, under the carpet to the right surround, and then behind the couch to the left surround -- with the only wires exposed between the speakers and the couch (about two feet of wire on either side of the couch). My stands do hide the wires. Getting to the other wall would be a major issue though (perhaps the ceiling is the only route).

My main reason for wanting to wall-mount is NOT to hide the wires, that is just an extra benefit. My main reason is two very large dogs (see for yourself here):

Dogs

And that one stand (the left-front) has no choice but to be near the exit from the room to the garage. A constantly used exit/entrance from the house. Thus excited dogs are near that speaker stand, packages, etc.

Also, the left surround is exposed in the middle of the room on a stand. Subject to being bumped by vacuum cleaners and curious people.

I just feel more comfortable and will have more room as a whole, if I can wall-mount. But for now, the stands are working fine. Only a couple of close calls with the dogs -- and strict warnings to dog walker and cleaning person about the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks