Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

Criterion 'Antoine Doinel' Box-set DVD Review with screen captures !

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 12:25 AM

The Adventures of Antoine Doinel Boxset - released April 29th, 2003
Posted Image

The release of François Truffaut’s The 400 Blows (Les Quatre cents coups) in 1959 shook world cinema to its foundations. The now-classic portrait of troubled adolescence introduced a major new director in the cinematic landscape and was an inaugural gesture of the revolutionary French New Wave. But The 400 Blows did not only introduce the world to its precocious director—it also unveiled his indelible creation: Antoine Doinel. Initially patterned closely after Truffaut himself, the Doinel character (played by the irrepressible and iconic Jean-Pierre Léaud) reappeared in four subsequent films that knowingly portrayed his myriad frustrations and romantic entanglements from his stormy teens through marriage, children, divorce, and adulthood. With The Adventures of Antoine Doinel, Criterion is proud to present Truffaut’s celebrated saga in its entirety: the feature films The 400 Blows, Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board, and Love on the Run, and the 1962 short subject, Antoine and Colette, in a special edition five-disc box set.

DVD Menus

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Release Information:
Studio: Home Vision Entertainment / Criterion Collection

Edition Details:

• Black & White, Color, Widescreen, Box set
• Includes: The 400 Blows, Antoine and Colette, Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board, and Love on the Run
• Audio commentary on The 400 Blows by film scholar Brian Stonehill
• Audio commentary on The 400 Blows by Truffaut's lifelong friend Robert Lachenay
• Les Mistons (1957), Truffaut's 18-minute short
• Audio commentary for Les Mistons by then assistant director and future writing collaborator Claude de Givray
• Introduction to Les Mistons by Truffaut historian Serge Toubiana
• Rare audition footage of cast members from The 400 Blows
• Newsreel footage of Jean-Pierre Leaud at the Cannes Film Festival in 1959
• Portrait de Truffaut (1961), a 25-minute documentary about Truffaut
• Introduction to Stolen Kisses by film historian Serge Toubiana
• Archival newsreel footage of the "Langlois Affair"
• Newsreel footage of Truffaut's impassioned rally to shut down the 1968 Cannes Film Festival in support of striking students and workers
• Promotional spot featuring Jean-Luc Godard and Francois Truffaut appealing for public support of Henri Langlois
• Rare footage of Truffaut and co-writer Bernard Revon discussing their notes
• Interview footage of Truffaut speaking about Antoine Doinel and the decision to continue the Doinel series with Stolen Kisses
• Interview footage of Truffaut discussing the entire Doinel cycle
• Excerpt from a 1979 TV show featuring Truffaut
• Theatrical trailers for The 400 Blows, Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board, and Love on the Run
• Booklet featuring Truffaut's writings, notes, script treatments, interviews with Truffaut, and more
• Widescreen anamorphic format
• Number of discs: 5

Screen Captures:

Les Quatre cents coups
Posted Image

Antoine et Colette
Posted Image

Baisers volés
Posted Image

Domicile conjugal
Posted Image

L'Amour en fuite
Posted Image

What can you say? 'Criterion does it again' seems somehow insufficient. Wonderful contrasts and a soft pallet give sharp detail to the image. The discs have been arranged with extras supplementing each film and a host of other insightful interviews and shorts add to this extensive collection of DVDs. I can state that this is the definitive DVD for all four feature films in the collection and the two shorts ( 'Antoine and Collete' and 'Les Mistons' ). Commentaries are included for 'The 400 Blows' and 'Les Mistons'. English subtitles are available in white for each film. I don't see too much point in going on... this DVD Boxset is as close to perfection as I have ever seen. Cheap at double the price. Posted Image out of Posted Image Gary W. Tooze

Cheers,

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 12:33 AM

Golly that's some positive vibe you've got going there Gary. Posted Image

Glad to hear my pre order was a good choice, I've been eyeing up 400 blows in the local video store for a while but held off for this collection.
S&S Greatest Films Club: 116 seen. Last Film: Un Chien andalou

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Richard Gilmore

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:49 AM

Can't wait for this to get to my house. It reminds me of my younger days when I sent off for neat stuff on the back of cereal boxes and it seemed like it took forever to get to my house.....

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,514 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the good news, Gary. Those screen caps look great!

C'mon, DVD Planet, ship my order!! Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 02:41 AM

Can't wait to get my set in the mail. Posted Image

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 08:14 AM

I love these films. I'm glad to see them getting such a great presentation.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 08:16 AM

In that final screenshot, it's pretty scary just how much Léaud grew up to look like Truffaut...

DJ

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Jehan

Jehan

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 09:36 AM

Thanks Gary!

I'm waiting on Amazon ...

Home Theater • 2004 Film List • 2003 Film List • 2002 Film List • 2001 Film List

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 10:59 AM

Quote:
In that final screenshot, it's pretty scary just how much Léaud grew up to look like Truffaut...
Yeah, really.
Fielding Mellish: "We fell in love. Well, I fell in love - she just stood there."
-Bananas (1971)

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:11 PM

so what's the packaging like are they all in slimthingies like Monterey Pop or each title have a keep case?

Adam (who wishes that his budget could have stretched just a little further for the set)

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Karl F

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:38 PM

The packaging is like Monterey Pop, yeah.

--K

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 03:10 PM

I am stoked!

Check out the packaging! Have you ever seen that many extras before in your life????

This is Criterion outdoing itself.
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 03:19 PM

I'm very disappointed by the packaging. For those of us who prefer to file our films alphabetically, this truly sucks.

But...of course I'm getting this. I'll just get some new coverart made up for keepcases.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 05:02 PM

Quote:
The packaging is like Monterey Pop, yeah.

Dang! I don't like the new cheap packaging on their box sets, I much prefer all keepcases! a minor issue, but important to me. Even though it won't affect my enjoyment of hte films at all I'm still disapointed that Criterion went with cheap route on the packaging of an otherwise perfect set.

Adam

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 02:22 AM

Quote:
I'm very disappointed by the packaging. For those of us who prefer to file our films alphabetically, this truly sucks.
Interesting point Rain. Since I file my DVDs by director, this problem never occurred to me.

I was not disappointed by Monetary Pop and will be adding this set to my collection in any case. I’ll reserve judgment on my view as to this package until I have it in my hands.
¡Time is not my master!

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 02:23 AM

Oh—and thanks for the review Gary. Posted Image
¡Time is not my master!

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 02:28 AM

I can't believe people are complaining about the packaging on this---it's incredibly detailed and thematically appropriate for the films, as if you've got Doinel's clothes (and his book, and a record) packed in his suitcase--peek inside the empty box. It's a terrific piece of design that should be an award-winner. Posted Image

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 02:42 AM

Quote:
I can't believe people are complaining about the packaging on this---it's incredibly detailed and thematically appropriate for the films...

Agreed Mark.

If you file alphabetically, put it under "The Adventures of Antoine Doinel" as that is the name of the Boxset or if it is that bothersome to you, don't buy it... and get the Fox Lorbers instead... yeah... that would make a lot of sense.

There are comparisons of the Criterion/Fox Lorber and Mk2 (France) of 'The 400 Blows', 'Stolen Kisses' and "Bed and Board" HERE

Cheers,

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,514 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 29 2003 - 05:45 AM

The packaging looks amazing & I can't wait to get ahold of it.

As for filing, my Criterions go on their own shelf in spine number order. No problem here. Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   debi_lee

debi_lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 07:04 AM

true, you can't use (individual) spine or alphabetical order with this one, but the tradeoff of this brilliant and creative packaging makes up for this very minor inconvenience... besides, the box does have its own spine number (185) and a title (The Adventures of Antoine Doinel) to alphabetize by, so it's actually a non-issue.

this is a fabulous set even by Criterion's criteria, so these things are hardly worth quibbling over.... but this is HTF, so no doubt, quibbling there'll be Posted Image
...and read our reviews at:

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital HD Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow