What's new

TV Speakers??? (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Do people use them.

I've had my new TV for over a year (I guess its not new anymore). and I've never once used the speakers. I have a 47" Panny. There's nothing wrong with the speakers I just use my Home theater speaker setup all the time.

I was just curios if there are any other people that never use the TV speakers.

Then I was thinking that they should sell some TV's without internal speakers. Do they? I hate paying for things that I don't use.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I never use the speakers on mine. Some of the flat panel displays don't have speakers but just about all standard consumer displays do. I think it is because even with the "premium sound" some TV manufacturers tout the cost of adding the speakers and amp is very small compared to the price of the TV.

Mark

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Yeah I figured that would be the reason but I would imagine that for a $2000 RPTV that at least $100 of that is because of the speakers. I buy the TV without speakers before I buy one with.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The second thing I did when my current TV was delivered was to turn off the internal speakers. They have been off for over two years now. Why listen to cheap TV speakers when I have invested a lot of money in a sound system?

BTW, the first thing I did was turn down the contrast and brightness settings, which were in torch (i.e. 100%) mode.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I have been writing to companies for "YEARS" asking them to offer us a low-priced tv monitor (No Speakers, No Tuners) & in place of them to add More Inputs. No luck sofar though & for the same reason as yours, why pay for something your not going to use & don't want.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I would, buy a TV with the following.

1 HD input (Component for now but DVI later I guess)
1 Svideo Input

and thats it. Thopse are the only 2 inputs I want.

I don't want any speakers. But I do want a huge 50"+ screen with excellent PQ.

I imagine with less than half the required wiring for all the audio and video hookups and now internal speakers, and oh yeah like you said no internal tuner also.

a $3000 TV might come down close to $2000. I would hope at least.

So does anyone know of any RPTV's out there like this or any other High Def TV's like this.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
a $3000 TV might come down close to $2000. I would hope at least.
I highly doubt this. The cost of the TV is in the custom components - the tube, the electron gun, etc. Off-the-shelf components like speakers or even tuners cost very little compared to something that has to be custom made.

Mark

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I think you'd end up butting your head against the economies of mass production with a speakerless/tunerless set. A company would have to design the set, set up or modify an assembly line, design packaging and write and print manuals, etc. If they didn't sell a boatload of them, the price, because of the startup cost, could easily be higher than that of a mass market item.

If such a set sold, say, 500 units, it'd probably be cheaper just to assemble 500 more units of an existing model, even with the speakers and amplifier, which we all know tend to be cheap.

BTW, I do use my built-in speakers and amp for non-critical viewing. I'm glad they're there for my SO, who hates complication and "just wants to watch TV."

Jan

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
BTW, I do use my built-in speakers and amp for non-critical viewing. I'm glad they're there for my SO, who hates complication and "just wants to watch TV."
That is why a good universal remote is a necessity for a home theater. One button on the remote turns on my entire system, and one button turns everything off. It's no more difficult for my wife to turn on the entire system than just the television.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Yeah if there wasn't a significant market for the "special TV's" out there they would have problems spreading out there costs. I imagine if they felt there was a market out there, there would probably be a line of these TV's on the market by now.

Which from the sounds of it there isn't.

I do disagree that it wouldn't be that much of a savings. You can keet he RPTV or whatever in the same box just leave out the speakers and the tuner and several of the A/V connections in the back.

So now all you have are your components required for the video.

This reduces time to wire the TV, reduces equipment cost for speakers and tuner and wire, and reduces labor to install speakers, tuner, and wires. It also reduces testing time to ensure all functions work on the TV, further reducing the labor costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks