What's new

CPU died... Replace CPU or minor rebuild? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Hey folks...

My P4 CPU died... The obvious quickfix is to buy another pentium 4 to replace it... Or should I do a minor rebuild?

I currently have:

Abit IT7-MAX
dead P4-1.6
512 MB Samsung PC2700
60 GB Maxtor
Geforce4-4400
SB Live value

So, I could just replace the processor with, say, a P4-2.4 GHz or I was thinking of getting the following:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon 2500+ Barton
Radeon 9700
Crucial 512 MB PC2700 (may be used along with my current 512MB)
WD 80 GB 8-MB cache (other drive as slave)

Is this upgrade worth the cost? I may ebay off the old video card, motherboard... Would my current case w/300 (330?) Watt Antec power supply be good enough? OR should I pick up a new case/PS?

Thanks!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
How do you know for a fact that your CPU died? A faulty motherboard or power supply can cause your machine to not boot as well. Also, a CPU failure could be caused by a motherboard problem, and inserting another CPU could cause it to fry as well.

Did it fail due to overheating or something?

KJP

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm pretty sure it's the processor. I overclocked it (probably too high) for several months. It was fine for a while, but then I starting having errors. The errors would be better when I clocked it down, and then they would come back. Finally, in the end, I had it back to default... But then one morning there was an error, I rebooted, and now WinXP will not load without a blue-screen error...

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Andrew,

If you get a new PC and are going to sell the old parts, send me a PM or email about that 60 GB HDD. I need a second for a backup, but buying a new one for redundancy is too $$$.

Thanks,
Joe

KyleS

Screenwriter
If you are getting a blue screen then you CPU is working though who knows how well. You may want to check some other components too like the HD. Did you buy an OEM or Retail P4 1.6ghz? Reason that I am asking is that it may still be under warranty (Though overclocking if they can tell does kill your warranty).

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread