What's new

Home Theater Seating (1 Viewer)

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently building my home theater in my garage I ran a wall down the middle of the 2 car garage. Put a wall at the far end where the garage door is and put up a drop ceiling so the garage door still opens. Unfortunatley my room is only 123" wide so these seats I found won't fit but if anybody else is trying to find some good looking and I think well priced seating arrangements check out this link
http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...4&log=&NavTop=
These prices include shipping unpacking and seting the seats up.
;)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Those look pretty nice! Like you, I wish I had room for them...

[bookmarking page in case I win lottery and buy bigger house]

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
I like some of the interesting styles of the Costco seats but the colors are somewhat limited.
You may want to check these out too:

www.4seating.com

In any case, it's good to know some more reasonably priced seating is becoming available.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Brandon,

My home theatere is so small....I don't even think it could be considered a home theater .LOL

My room is only 12'6" wide x 12'9"L its actual fairly square. The 12'6" is the wall were I am going to put the sofa.

I just wanted to give you another option besides home theater chairs.

I bought a sectional (without the corner unit) it looks like a regular sectional when you first look at it but it has arms (9"w) that fold down and they have a cup holder in them. It's made by Berkline I don't know the code number Berkline uses. Like I said I didn't order the corner unit so it is basically two loveseats side by side,each is 6'wide. If I don't use the arms you can definetly fit six people across.

I don't know but maybe you can buy these and set it up in a "V" pattern or something. I don't have the sofa yet and it is not shown on Berkline's website. The only drawback is that I couldn't get it in leather.

Just my 2 cents
Ed O'Neill

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Nice option. I also saw in a couple of furniture stores a sofa (vinyl) that had a center section that would fold down from the backrest and included 2 cup holders, a speakerphone extension, and a built-in vibrator. both sides reclined.
About a grand for the works! There's something for everyone!

DerekB

Auditioning
Dale - How's life in sunny San Jose? I'm in NJ now, but I do miss my hometown (the Garlic Capital of the World).
Do you recall which stores you saw the sofa you've described above? Like Brandon, I too have a very narrow home theater, and using normal sofas or chairs (vs. true theater seating), forces a sacrifice of the cupholders. Your suggestion sounds like a great one.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Hey I still wish I could find a a picture of my sectional to show you guys what I mean. I'm still looking . I don't have a digital camera or scanner.

Maybe I can get a friend to post one .

talk to you all soon
Ed O'Neill

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I just picked up a double love seat that reclines like a lazy boy.They remind me of theater seating and It looks great and for only $796.00

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of these in my HT and they are comfy as all get out!!!
That's fine, but how did you get from the picture in the link to a chair to you buy or order? I do not see them on the K-Mart website..but have not visited a store. May want to pop for one or two of those for extras....

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Let me say I finally got my pair of HT seats from 4seating.com
If you are in a hurry, this is not the place to order them.
It took 10 weeks! They are built to order, but the greatest frustration is that the company is not very communicative.
I was on the edge of taking legal action if I could not get a refund as I thought the wait was way too long, even though they are built to order.
On the positive side, they arrived in perfect condition, and are very well constructed. My b-in-law and I found out as we had to separate one chair (4 bolts underneath) to get them through the front door. If you have french doors etc. no problem, but these are not light, the pair are over 150 lbs.
They are firm, similar to nice bucket seats (same company makes custom car seats) and the mechanism seems robust. With plated fasteners throughout.
I ordered them with vinyl and this is a very tough material.
With a nice smooth texture. Seams etc. are flawless.
Leather is a $150 option (per chair). These can be had in an any number grouping.
Bass shakers is also an option as is the LazyBoy like recliner mechanism.
The cup holders are on the small size, more designed for travel mugs with the smaller bottoms.
I also thought the foot-rests could go a little higher, but maybe that would interefere with lower or larger display viewing. There are no levers, ala Berkliner, instead you use your heels to kick the foot rest which then either attaches to the bottom, and the back rest only reclines, or detaches and comes up and the back reclines more (similar to Lazyboys...) Doing it like this seems a bit odd, and the mechanism is fairly stiff, and will likely move with greater ease in time.
So I have some quibbles, but the biggest was poor customer support. I can highly recommend them for viewing comfort and build quality.

http://one.newsales.com/vendor_theat...s/salesc11.jpg
http://4seating.com/images/GodfatherBlackReclined.jpg

http://4seating.com/images/salesc10.jpg

And by the way, the wood showing on the website pix is fully covered with matching material on the shipped product.
I will post my own pics soon.

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Dale nice seating. Looked at the site, thought the LOTR swords were a bit unusual to be found at a seating site.......

JayPo

Stunt Coordinator
Dale,

Quick question on those seats ... the pictures give me the feeling that the armrests are high. Does it feel like your arms are up higher than they should be when you are sitting up? When you are reclined?

Oh, and second question, when you say small cup holder could you still get like a large McDonald's cup in there? You know, the ones that taper towards the bottom?

Thanks,
JP

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
So far yes, it would seem to accommodate most tapered cups and glasses. The actual diameter is 2 3/4". The depth is about the same.
I have not tried everything yet, but plan to take a little 2 3/4" cut out with me when I go shopping to get an idea what will fit.

I am really enjoying them. I just used our old Berkliner this morning for comparison. It felt so much softer initially. But I could easily shake the smaller frame from side to side. and when you raise the foot rest, my toes just reach the bottom of my viewing screen. Fully reclined your eyes feel a bit strained watching the screen, and I had to spread my feet or move them both to one side to see the whole picture.
There is no doubt the theater seats are primarily designed for veiwing not just relaxing. But overall gives you much better support for your back. And the back rest angle is just right to keep your vision vertically centered on the screen. Don't get me wrong, if you are the least bit drowsy you will fall asleep quickly, and not feel your back is knots when you awaken.
The arms are 'just' the right height. I would not want them higher. However, due to the generous width of the seating surface, you can rest your arm at your side without your elbow feeling constricted. I would say they are ergonomically designed quite well.

Now, can someone tell me how I post a picture on here from my desktop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks