What's new

Alias - 4/28/03 (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Kane? What are you talking about?

Biggest hole in the script I've come upon since I started watching (started with the Super Bowl episode)...why the heck didn't Dixon tell Syd and the rest that the wire was cut before? But that's TV writing for ya...

Next week can't come soon enough.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
Caine = David Carradine looking like he just stepped off the "Kung Fu" set.

Rather ridiculous episode, if you ask me. They are overusing the teaser 1st scene with the "72 hours earlier" flashback. Also, I'm 99% sure that:

The question about how Rimbaldi could put together the DNA sequence of a man living 500 yrs (or whatever) later is rather simple to answer: that man was alive 500 yrs earlier and the heart/machine was Rimbaldi's 'immortality' device. Though a question that begs to be answered is why didn't Rimbaldi train someone to install his immortality device in himself !?

And what was with the false "doomsday" prophecy ? Seemed like it was just a lame way to set up Dixon's apparent meltdown -- "I guess Rimbaldi was wrong" was all they could say after nothing happened !?! And why the hell would they put the heart in a briefcase and then put it unguarded into a shipping container ? Why not just hand-deliver it to Sark or whomever ? Just another red herring to get Dixon in the right place.

AND, that was pretty lame CGI with Sloan in the Himalayas. You could practically see the bluescreen. AND, having just been in Nepal last month, Sloan's guide was totally the wrong ethnicity -- he should have been a Sherpa, not the dude w/ Indian features (ok, that's a big nit pick but whatever ....)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
A really pedestrian episode... its like they had 10 minutes of cool story to tell and needed 30 minutes of filler. Dixon seems like the natural choice but it felt so compressed into that 30 minute slot it made Dixon come off as some deranged wacko in the middle of a insta-meltdown.

Di Regno's Rambaldi Heart was killer cool. Is this how the clock maker, Giovanni Donato (from 1.8, descendant my rear-end), survived for so long? How many other 'immortals' are walking around out there?

I can't wait to see the 'new and improved' Sloane and Evil Francie must be dealt with!

ABC must not have much faith in Alias for sweeps since they are doubling up to make next Sunday the season finale.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It was fun to see Amanda Foreman, who played Felicity's roommate Meghan. And that workplace romance type thing with Marshall -- would you believe the same kind of thing happens to me every week!

//Ken

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The reason Dixon's bomb stunt was believable was because of what transprired in the days before, and the main team leaders on the CIA team were pretty much on edge, which sold the whole "Damn, this guy is psycho!" dog and pony show that Dixon needed to get the guy to give up the information in very little time at all.

Glad to see Marshall might be getting his groove on (albeit to Joni Mitchell).

The only thing missing after Sloane accepted the scrolls and the lightning and thunder permeating the Nepal air was the maniacal laughter by Sloane. That would have been cool, though over the top. :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
ABC must not have much faith in Alias for sweeps since they are doubling up to make next Sunday the season finale.
Or they just might have other special programming they want to give a Sunday slot to - it is the night when the most people are watching television, so if they've got a big miniseries/movies special planned, that's where to put it.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The reason Dixon's bomb stunt was believable was because of what transprired in the days before, and the main team leaders on the CIA team were pretty much on edge, which sold the whole "Damn, this guy is psycho!" dog and pony show that Dixon needed to get the guy to give up the information in very little time at all.
I don't think anyone doubted the believability of his actions, but he was risking his life with that stunt. It's not like if he had told everybody beforehand but the bad guys that he was faking it that it would've ruined the effect. The agents go undercover, that's an act, so they can act shocked and surprised as well.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
While I still love the show, and felt it was a fairly good episode, I think they're using the "here's an exciting scene and here's what led to it" structure a bit much. Unless it really serves the story, I'd like to see them stay more linear for a while.

I didn't get the connection that Sloane receiving the scroll was the apocalyptic event - but that makes sense. I'm enjoying the Rambaldi storylines a lot.

Anyone else think that it might have added something to the show if Vaughn had shot (and killed) Dixon? Obviously, Sydney can't die or else there would be no show, but I'd like to see Abrams give the show some more bite.

I liked seeing Syd's dilemma with her loyalties. I also liked that it didn't stretch out over several episodes.

And any show with Danny Trejo in it has to be good!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Vaughn has no leg to stand on because Sydney did her best to keep what he was doing in gathering intell on Irina before the CIA's internal affairs was coming down hard on him. Vaughn knows that Sydney will do what needs to be done to protect those she cares about.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Okay, so when did Alias change from being one of the smartest, cool shows on TV to the dreck it is now?

We have the old "X-Files" fishing line trick of stringing out the backplot to the point where nobody cares anymore (Rambaldi). It's like an (even poorer) Tomb Raider script at the moment.

Then there's Vaughn, who alternates between two modes: boring loving puppy dog and unlikeable condescending grass. OTOH we have one of the best characters (and best acted), Dixon, who's been majorly ignored for much of the season. This episode should have been a lot better than it was.

They used that stupid "72 hours" earlier editing trick - again! How about having two different scenes with tension, rather than one repeated (the first time always showing misleading information, so you know what's going to happen).

Irina was missing this week. They explained it (unlike, say, Buffy TVS would), but that just reminded me of how much she adds (added) to the show. The writers have a problem with her - she worked brilliantly against Syd and Jack, but she's out of place with nothing to do in Sloane's gang.

Guest CIA villain. They promoted Jack over the old one, so had to bring a new one to make dumb command decisions over the radio. Yawn.

In Summary: How to make Alias better -
1) Kill off Vaughn, Will, and esp. Fake Francie.
2) Make Syd and Dixon rogue agents, intent on revenge on Sloane. Set Jack after them. Have Marshall help from time to time.
3) End the stupid Rambaldi backstory and have some solid FBI/spy eps without the mysticism.
4) Wild card idea: Get FF to hypnotise Will to kill off Vaughn. Will is sent to jail forever, or recruited by Sloane to become really evil (only to be killed one episode later by Syd). Set up Dixon with Fake Francie. Have Dixon kill her on the honeymoon.
5) Bring in Jack Bauer to deal with Sloane. ;)

John_VI

Second Unit
This ep had its ups and downs. I don't like ( or rather, I'm tired of) the "flashback" stunts. Could they be using this because of audience falloff in the 2nd half of the episodes?? ("Oh crap! THAT's gonna happen? Then I need to stick around!").

I like the Dixon story in this ep. I was unaware that Diane had been killed (I thought the bomb had been in Dixon's car, and that Dixon escaped when he got back out of his car to say something to Vaughn and Syd), so I was very surprised at the funeral scene in the opening of the ep. But now we have two people, each responsible for the death of the other's wife, set on ultimate revenge.

I thought the whole "Caine" thing was lame. It will be interesting to see what the newly revealed manuscript has to offer, though. But if "Caine" already knows what the manuscript says, why hasn't the "prophesy" already come true? Holes.....

A spoiler for next weeks' episode:

On my TIVO for next week's season finale, it says that Will is arrested for espionage, and something about Syd confronting FF (IRRC). Perhaps FF finally gets the double tap in the forehead that she so richly deserves.

Oh, and those are some good ideas, PhilipG.

Todd Henry

Second Unit
Thomas,

He meant the followig Sunday, so on May 11th instead of Alias it will be ET not immediately following the finale.

Todd

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Doh! Sorry for the confusion. Still, rather confusing way to showcase your shows during Sweeps month in May.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I thought it was an ok episode too.
I missed the evil Francie part though. Can someone feel me in?
Good to see Amanda Foreman again and give Marshall something to do other than be Bumbling all the time. That has kinda run thin.
Since we have a few Felicity recruits when is Kerry Russel coming over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks