What's new

How's the B&K ref 20? (1 Viewer)

MitchKel

Grip
I've been looking at lower priced processors and overlooked the ref 20. I only really care about 5.1 and a good preamp section for music. How do you think the 20 would treat me? The only other question I have is that I run all Denon amps and I wonder how they'll work with the B&K? I see them for around $600-700 range which is something I can handle. Thanks.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i believe the Ref 20 is basically a Ref 30 minus the 5.1 input. if you can live without 5.1 inputs for SACD/DVD-A, then it's a steal at that price!

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
I thought about the ref20 too. Without that 5.1 input it would be a mistake for me. the other thing is $700 is getting close to an Outlaw 950 which would include warentee and support.

Just some thoughts

Bob

MitchKel

Grip
I went and tried to read some reviews last night on the 20 and there isn't that many around. It didn't get too high of a mark in 2 channel which turns me off. One "professional" reviewer said the difference between the 20 and 30 was quite significant in sound quality so I think I'll have to focus on the 30 although it doubles the used price.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I have the 30 and I can tell you it is very good at 2-channel, and even better at 5.1. I do not know how much more or less flexible at things like bass management the 20 is than the 30, but the best thing to do would be to find the specs for each and print them out. THen you can see first hand if the 30 is worht it for you over the 20.

I do not have any practical experience of the 20 (never heard it) so I won't compare the performance.

The 30 loves my Outlaw 750 amp, however.

If you are considering a used 30, take a look at the Outlaw 950, which as you said, would be new, have a waranty, and I can tell you from firsthand experience that Outlaw's customer service is second to none!

MitchKel

Grip
I just got done looking at the outlaw and for the money it seems pretty decent. The only things that bothered me in the reviews was the hiss problem that's supposed to be fixed and so-so music reproduction by reviewers that had used some decent equipment. Music was rated as great by users that had upgraded from lower end equipment. I guess it all really comes down to personal preference. My SVS purchase today is going to put the processor on hold now for a little while anyways. I did look at Ebay in the meantime and there was 1 Outlaw that sold buy-it-now fast for $699. Besides, it's going to be hard enough to explain this big SVS box that shows up let alone 2 boxes!

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I compared a REF20 prior to buying my Proton AS2631 and both are very similar in function. The Proton however sounded much better than the Ref20 for both 2 channel music and HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks