Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung SIRTS160

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 10:34 AM

Hi,

I was just looking at this on the Circuit City website, and got a little confused with a note they had on it, what are they trying to say with this:

"This unit receives and decodes over-the-air HD broadcasts only, and requires an HD-compatible antenna and digital TV."

Decodes over-the-air HD broadcasts only"?! What does this mean?!

~Alan

#2 of 6 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 27 2003 - 10:49 AM

That means it only has an ATSC tuner in it and it will only decode digital signals received either over the air with an antenna or through cable which is very unlikely. Other HD receivers like the Hughes E-86 have an ATSC tuner, an NTSC tuner for analog TV and a satellite tuner for both standard def and high def sat signals.

-Robert

#3 of 6 Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 11:20 AM

So, it won't decode the Hi-Def DirecTV channels like HBO-HD or Showtime HD?!

~Alan

#4 of 6 Matt Malto

Matt Malto

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 12:27 PM

Alan- It should get HD DirecTV according to what I read.

#5 of 6 Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 02:50 PM

Thanks! That one sentence confused me because everything else I read seemed to invalidate that sentence. In fact, if you were to go to Samsung's website and that receiver, it will say this:

"Access to programming form multiple sources - DIRECTV, Digital off air(ATSC), analog off-air and cable(NTSC)"

Granted, there is a typo there, but they should know their own products better than Circuit City....I guess....

Thanks!
~Alan

#6 of 6 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 03:09 PM

Perhaps I am confused too, but to my knowledge, the 160 does everything; DirecTV HD and SD, OTA Digital HD and SD, and OTA NTSC. It also will do digital cable, but uses a standard that no cable system employs.

The 165 is OTA only w/firewire and DVI outputs, and the 151 is OTA only with standard analog (component, S Vid, Composite) outputs.

I own the 151, and considered the 160 before purchase.

BGL