Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help putting re-building old Infinity speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 MikeHarley

MikeHarley

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 05:38 PM

My dad gave me a pair of old Infinity RS1000's. I want to put new speakers in them since the original cones have completely rotted out (the foam surrounds are gone). The tweeters look OK, so I am just going to replace the one rotted speaker on each.

How do I find out what the crossover is set at so I can buy the correct speaker? Do I just guess and get a "Midbass" or something? There is nothing on the back of the bad speaker (I checked).

What size speaker will fit? The opening in the front is 4.125" (4 1/8"). I don't want to do any cutting.

BTW, these will be my garage stereo speakers, so I don't expect miracles...

I appreciate all of your help!

#2 of 8 Greg Bright

Greg Bright

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 12:32 AM

Mike,
It seems to me that you can avoid all that crossover/driver replacement and have the speakers sound like new by just replacing the foam surrounds on the original drivers. Doing what you suggest will change the sound of the speakers entirely; and, garage speakers or not, if you're on this forum you still want good sound.

I suggest trying these sources to get kits for replacing the rotted surrounds. A couple hours is all it takes.

http://www.speakerre...m/OCSrekit.html

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/
"Aufersteh'n, ja aufersteh'n wirst du, Mein Herz, in einem Nu.
Was du geschlagen, Zu Gott wird es dich tragen!"

#3 of 8 MikeHarley

MikeHarley

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 04:45 AM

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even know you could do that! My speakers are about 4", so I think I will buy the kit ($29) and do it myself (the mail-in company wants $22 - but shipping will eat up another $10).

Thanks for the help!

#4 of 8 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 07:11 AM

Post back to let everyone know how you made out. Good luck!

#5 of 8 Tom McGary

Tom McGary

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 08:30 AM

Hey Mike,
This website is a good resource for old Infinity speakers and has a link to a crossover schematic that may help.

http://oellerer.net/....y_rs_1000.html

Good Luck.

Tom

#6 of 8 MikeHarley

MikeHarley

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 09:48 AM

Great resource.

Hmmm... when new only $146/pair. 50W max. They are barely worth the $29 repair kit (but I am so cheap, I will do it anyway).

Thanks!

#7 of 8 Ryan_MF

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 10:26 AM

You could also replace the drivers with new and better units from madisound. They could even build you new crossovers using their LEAP design.

This would be much more expensive, but would probably yield results on par with new speakers.

#8 of 8 Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit

• 397 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 06:53 AM

Remember that $150 speakers from 10-15 years ago likely have significantly better construction than $250-300 speakers today...