What's new

Need help putting re-building old Infinity speakers (1 Viewer)

MikeHarley

Grip
My dad gave me a pair of old Infinity RS1000's. I want to put new speakers in them since the original cones have completely rotted out (the foam surrounds are gone). The tweeters look OK, so I am just going to replace the one rotted speaker on each.

How do I find out what the crossover is set at so I can buy the correct speaker? Do I just guess and get a "Midbass" or something? There is nothing on the back of the bad speaker (I checked).

What size speaker will fit? The opening in the front is 4.125" (4 1/8"). I don't want to do any cutting.

BTW, these will be my garage stereo speakers, so I don't expect miracles...

I appreciate all of your help!

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Mike,
It seems to me that you can avoid all that crossover/driver replacement and have the speakers sound like new by just replacing the foam surrounds on the original drivers. Doing what you suggest will change the sound of the speakers entirely; and, garage speakers or not, if you're on this forum you still want good sound.

I suggest trying these sources to get kits for replacing the rotted surrounds. A couple hours is all it takes.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/OCSrekit.html

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/

MikeHarley

Grip
Thanks for the tip. I didn't even know you could do that! My speakers are about 4", so I think I will buy the kit ($29) and do it myself (the mail-in company wants $22 - but shipping will eat up another $10).

Thanks for the help!

MikeHarley

Grip
Great resource.

Hmmm... when new only $146/pair. 50W max. They are barely worth the $29 repair kit (but I am so cheap, I will do it anyway).

Thanks!

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
You could also replace the drivers with new and better units from madisound. They could even build you new crossovers using their LEAP design.

This would be much more expensive, but would probably yield results on par with new speakers.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Remember that $150 speakers from 10-15 years ago likely have significantly better construction than $250-300 speakers today...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks