What's new

Speaker Dist. Settings (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,
I was wondering. If your DVD played AND receiver both have the ability to set speakers distances up, would you do it in both or just one or the other? I'm thinking if I tell my DVD player that my fronts are say 7' away and then tell the receiver the same thing it will adjust based on the additional adjustment made in the DVD Player.
Thanks

PaulT

Supporting Actor
If you are sending the digital bitstream to your receiver to be decoded there, then setting the distances in the DVD player will not have any effect.

The distance measurements are used if you are decoding within the player and sending the output to your receiver through the 6 (or 7) analog channels.

It really depends on where you want the decoding done. 'Usually' the receiver has the better quality chipset.

This if course gets trashed if your DVD player is also DVD-A and/or SACD. Playing those formats with most players the Bass Management and Distance settings do not have any effect on the analog output. Since most receivers don't do Bass Management on their analog inputs, you are stuffed unless you have large speakers all the way around your system or use something like the Outlaw ICBM to do your Bass Management.

Thanks for your information.
Basically I have a pioneer 45tx receiver and pioneer DV47Ai DVD player. I use it for both DVD-A and SACD. I have the digital coax hooked up as well as the multi channel outputs. I have all my speakers set to small.
I thought it would be best to kind of neutralize the settings in the dvd player and letting the receiver do it based on those numbers rather than altering the setting via the DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks