What's new

Using old reciever as a pre amp (1 Viewer)

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay I had an old RCA reciever kicking around and iam using it as a pre amp for my new bass shakers. My current amp is a yamaha rxv-730. Iam wondering how will I wire the two together to have the RCA power the shakers. The simpler the better.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Bass shakers? What, a subwoofer? Don't these bass things have amplifiers built into them already?

What signal-output connections does the RCA unit have on it?
What is the model of the RCA? Are there any documents or web pages explaining it? Can the Yamaha accept a preamp signal into its amplification stage?

-JNS

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
I thought someone told me the yamaha could but iam not sure. Iam sorry iam off to work so I cant find any documents on the web but I can give you the model. It is RT2280

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Ok, a quick search online yielded the RCA RT2280's user manual:
http://support.tandy.com/support_audio/doc66/66651.pdf

And the user's manual for the Yamaha RX-V730 is:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/m.../RX-V730_e.pdf

Page 6 of the RCA manual shows a "Subwoofer Pre Out" which you can send to a powered subwoofer.

Page 15 of the Yamaha manual shows no the connections there, but you may be going down the wrong path here. Who makes these bass shakers, and what's the model number? Are they powered bass units or do they indeed require amplification beforehand?

-JNS

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
They are the 25 watt auras. According to the manual they need a seperate power source

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Ahh, I see. These are actual seat-shaking devices that are powered like regular speakers, but only work to about 70Hz.

Ok, take the subwoofer output signal (not from the speaker connector, but from the round connector for the signals) from your Yamaha receiver and connect it to your RCA receiver through its subwoofer connection (in the 6CH. DIRECT INPUT group of connectors). Connect one bass shaker to the spring-clip terminals labelled "SUBWOOFER".

Run the RCA receiver in 6-channel/direct mode and adjust the RCA volume and the Yamaha volume while some song is playing in order to get the shaker working.

If you need to hook up another shaker, let me know.

-JNS

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay I got the shakers going but a new problem has occured. the sub and the shakers just go non stop at the same frequency what went wrong this time?

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
You have a sub as well as shakers? How are you connecting all this up? The more descriptive you can be about what you are trying, the easier it is to solve the problems.

-JNS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks