Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hd Vs Hdx

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Kalvin

Kalvin

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 08:40 PM

i am about to purchase a Toshiba widescreen HDTV. my budget allows for either the 57H82 or the 50HDX82. Do you suggest that I go for the bigger (57) screen or for the smaller screen (50) and the image enhancements that come with the "HDX" models?

Thanks

#2 of 8 JohnnyG

JohnnyG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 07:31 AM

Honestly, if the choice were mine, I'd take the smaller HDX set over the larger H set.

#3 of 8 Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 06:02 AM

I have the H82 and I love it. Although both sets have there share of demons. I'd check out www.keohi.com to learn more.

Having said that, when I bought my H82 from OneCall.com, the salesperson on the phone offered me a chance to get the HDX82 for an extra $120. I didn't bite, but it's something to think about.

Cheers.
J.
Procrastinators unite, tomorrow.

#4 of 8 Alan M

Alan M

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 08:49 AM

I also own the h82 although I have the 65.Its a great set,and the pq on dvd,s and hd are simply stunning.
I'm of the mind bigger is better,but,either way,you cant go wrong.

#5 of 8 Kalvin

Kalvin

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 07:27 PM

Jeff

I couldn't find any info at www.keohi.com

#6 of 8 Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 10:53 AM

Check the Toshiba forum HERE.

You should find some threads there that deal with the Ghost lines that are known to affect all recent Tosh sets (Which I have noticed, but is so slight that I can live with it) and the flicker problem that has been reported on some of the HDX sets.

And thats without even touching on the criticism these sets receive for the 540P upconversion. Posted Image

That should be enough to get you started.

A good thing to remember is that it would seem that all Brands have there own set of demons, and you only need to decide which set you want to deal with. I doubt there is such thing as the PERFECT RPTV (not in the price range we are talking about here anywayPosted Image )

Cheers.
J.
Procrastinators unite, tomorrow.

#7 of 8 john ingram

john ingram

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 07:54 AM

I have a brand new 1 week old rptv it is the 42" toshiba cinema series hdtv widescreen. Its 42hdx82 i think or something like that. Ive done the manual convergence about 3 times and its still not right. It seems fine and then the next day its totally out of wack. So i adjust again and it looks great. Next day its back to the way it was.
I thought maybe it needs a full convergence. Would that make it not hold a 9 point for longer than a day or is it not holding because of some other reason???
And if it is messed up should i call the techs for free service or should i return for a brand new one which will cost me $50 to do. Thanks for the help.

#8 of 8 john ingram

john ingram

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 05:46 PM

bump