Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DSOTM SACD disc defect....check yours

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
149 replies to this topic

#1 of 150 OFFLINE   Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 05:52 PM

It is being reported in other fourms that the inner part of the disc is developing cracks. Some are blaming the disc holder and some believe it is the disc itself. My copy is fine.

#2 of 150 OFFLINE   Al B. C

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 06:15 PM

"We got a winner!"

Mines cracked in about 8 places. Posted Image

#3 of 150 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 06:15 PM

Read these threads at AA about OTHER sacd's cracking:

Crest sacd's

and......

Philips sacd's

Hilarious!

LJ

#4 of 150 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 06:33 PM

The cracks are part of Sony's "stealth marketing" approach.

On the shelf it looks like any other CD, but without knowing - customers are getting the cracks as a bonus. Posted Image

Sorry, couldn't resist. Posted Image

#5 of 150 OFFLINE   Mark All

Mark All

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 02:52 AM

I thought hybrid SACDs were being manufactured in more than one plant now. I wonder if the problem is caused by the extra layering/sandwiching required to make a hybrid disc that can be broken if flexed too much from the center of the disc.

Al, have the cracks in your copy extended to the data area and rendered the disc unusable? I guess the cracks develop because of the need to flex the disc to get it out of the jewel case. I wouldn't read anything into an implied warranty statement. If a disc is defective, I'd take it back to the store where I got it and ask for a replacement. I've had DVDs pop out of the holder in shipment before and become scratched inside the case. It's very frustrating for this to happen, but I've never had an exchange problem once I show what happened to the disc.

I've never had any cracking problems with my hybrid discs, SACDs, DVDs, CDs, CDR's, etc. Some of the holders with my Rolling Stones discs are very tight and require being very careful when removing the discs so as not to flex them too much.
Audio, ergo sum.

#6 of 150 OFFLINE   Al B. C

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 03:34 AM

Al, have the cracks in your copy extended to the data area and rendered the disc unusable?

I don't think so, but I have had this disc lock up at least twice on my c555es and no other disc has ever done this before.

So - who knows?

#7 of 150 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted April 26 2003 - 07:27 AM

My copy has cracks as well. Never noticed it, but thank you for posting!!

I still have my receipt. Getting another copy and will post experience...

Cheers,

#8 of 150 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted April 26 2003 - 07:29 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the problem is caused by the extra layering/sandwiching required to make a hybrid disc

I don't think so as I double checked my copies of Telarc's Music of Jerry Goldsmith and 1812 - both are hybrids. They are fine.

Cheers,

#9 of 150 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 09:15 AM

Seven cracks, no receipt. Posted Image

This drive has locked up once in my DVD-S2300. No other SACD, CD, DVD, or DVD-A has

If you put this in a CD-R/DVD-R drive, be very careful. Speeds above 16x or so have a decent chance of the disc 'exploding' and trashing your drive.

#10 of 150 OFFLINE   John Wes

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 09:36 AM

Well dang......Mine has 2 cracks and no receipt.

I guess I'm not that disappointed....after all, Sony had a hand in it's development...figures... Posted Image

#11 of 150 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 09:47 AM

This could become a big fiasco. The disclaimer put on the disc about playing compatibility is starting to make sense now. Sony will not be held responsible for incompatibility due to self destruction of their discs.

J

#12 of 150 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 10:15 AM

Mine is OK, but I did just buy it this week. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it. Cracks would indicate a stress problem, which might be due to the extra layer, or some problem during the actual manufacturing of the disc.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#13 of 150 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,371 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 11:29 AM

Posted Image I just bought my copy two this friday and now I am frantically looking for my receipt. I will be watching this disk like a hawk! I hope this is an isolated problem with this cd. Have any of you been playing the disc in your cd roms? I am wondering if the disc is not up to the higher rpms of the 40 to 50 x cd roms? I realize that the sacd can not be played on the pc but I am just wondering if the cd part is being played in your pc?
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#14 of 150 OFFLINE   Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 01:35 PM

I put it in a portable CD player to listen to the CD layer and thought that the locking mechanism might have caused it. Great post, I'll be exchanging it and taking my reciept along with a printout of this thread.
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

#15 of 150 OFFLINE   Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 03:48 PM

WAAAAAAHHHH!!!! Mine has 2 cracks!!! And I just played it three times! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I feel so awful today. I guess I'll wait for a couple of weeks (months?) before buying a new copy (since I bought it mail order, I don't think it's worth the hassle sending it back).

WAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Quid, me anxius sum?

#16 of 150 OFFLINE   Dan Joy

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 02:02 AM

DSOTM has been in my 222ES player since its release. No cracks at all, but I will keep periodically looking!
GO BLACKHAWKS !!!

#17 of 150 OFFLINE   Jeff Lund

Jeff Lund

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 02:39 AM

Just to check in, no cracks on my DSOTM. I feel bad because I saved my receipt and I don't need it Posted Image
Count Dooku: Surely, you must realize that my powers are far beyond yours. Now back down.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: I don't think so.

#18 of 150 OFFLINE   DennisK

DennisK

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 07:20 AM

I checked mine and it has several cracks. So far I haven't noticed any playback problems. I've never used it in anything but my dv45a, so it's not related to computer usage. I would think this is a manufacturing defect and not necessarily related to the multiple layers since that has been used successfully in DVD discs for quite some time.

Since this appears to be a common problem, I would hope that capitol would take the right steps and recall the disc offering a free replacement. As much as I love the disc I'm certainly not going to pay for another one. I guess this is one more reason to regret they didn't release it on dvd-audio.

#19 of 150 OFFLINE   Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 09:38 AM

Wow this is turning into a "MAJOR" fiasco....
Thread in SH fourm

Maybe Lee can get us some info on what Sony/EMI plan to do about this...

I hope Apple(Beatles)is paying attention

#20 of 150 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted April 27 2003 - 10:05 AM

Returned my cracked disc, got another copy, and that one looks fine.

Notice on the back of the DSOTM SACD, in small type, it says something like "disc is sold AS IS" (all caps included!). Geez, that's pretty crappy. Glad I returned my copy in case stores get word not to accept returns.

Cheers,