What's new

HELP! Can't find a DVD player with right features (1 Viewer)

Pete Austin

Agent
Hi All,

I'm finally able to to buy a new DVD player to go with my new HDTV. I've been running around to the stores but I'm having a hard time tracking down a player that has all the options that I'm looking for. I'm hoping that I can get some suggestions from the community here. The perfect DVD player for me would incorporate ALL of the following features.

1.) Progressive Scan output

2.) DVD-Audio playback

3.) MP3 playback

4.) JPEG photo viewer

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
Check out my most recent thread about the Panasonic DVD-S55S. I don't think anyone knows how good the DVD playback is, since i don't think it comes out for a couple more weeks.

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
denon 3800 , 9000 or the upcoming denon 2900 has all the features you want.

Brian David

Auditioning
Pete,
The Toshiba SD-4800 has all the features that you want, is relatively cheap and I believe well reviewed.
($199.00 @ Best Buy)
Good luck,
Brian

Pete Austin

Agent
Thanks for the replies,

I realized that I forgot to mention any budget limits in my inital post. The Denon looks good but is way out of my price range. The new Panasonic looks perfect. Does anyone out there know if it still uses the Genesis FLI2200 deinterlacer chip. Previous models that used this chip got outstanding reviews in hometheaterhifi.com's progressive scan shootout.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...rch&articles=5
The Toshiba does have all the features I want but did very poorly in the same shootout. Hopefully, we'll see some reviews of the Panasonic S55S soon. Thanks again for all the suggestions, keep them coming.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Pete,
I believe Panasonic dropped the Genesis FLI2200 chip in favor of a less expensive in-house solution. By all accounts i have read it is a step backward in PQ. :frowning:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
When I was shopping for players, I came to realize that not all players have the same user-friendliness. Other things to look for that you might not think of in shopping:

1. Time elapsed/time left codes-not all players have them. I find that I use this or am looking at it all the time.
2. Layer/bit rate indicators-more important to me as a reviewer than for most people, but I really missed them on some demo models.
3. Inability to bookmark where you are on the disc to resume when you turn it back on. I have a Toshiba that won't do this and it pisses me off no end to try to find where I was on the disc every time. :thumbsdown: The Panasonics I tried wouldn't do it either, though I'm told there's some secret keypress that permits it. :confused:
4. Some players don't have power switches on the remotes; this is particularly egregious when combined with a player than doesn't remember its settings when you use the front-panel power button to turn it on and off (I think the Malata 520 has this problem).
5. No screensavers on many models, including all of the Panasonics I tried. If you ever fall asleep in front of the TV, this is a must.

George Cifrancis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Does anyone know if the Toshiba 4800 has the ability to show time remaining? I just bought a Tosh 3900 at Best Buy and I can't believe this basic feature is missing from it!

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Every Toshiba I've owned required you to push the display button twice to reflect time remaining. They also resume from the point they were stopped simply by pressing play even after you power it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks