Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question about movie series with main actor change

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 05:34 AM

With the new reissued DVDs due, I was thinking about the Jack Ryan movies. For those flicks, the lead character was played by a different actor in the second film - it went from Alec Baldwin to Harrison Ford. Can anyone come up with another movie series that changed the performer who played the main character so quickly? Batman lost Michael Keaton after the second flick, but I can't think of another series that used someone else after only one movie...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,190 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 05:51 AM

Plan 9 From Outer Space Posted Image

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 06:26 AM

The Hannibal Lecter series. Manhunter was some guy, then Hopkins for the next 2 (then they fixed their continuity with Red Dragon)

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
Manhunter was some guy

Brian Cox. He's all over the place nowadays Posted Image

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 06:39 AM

>>Manhunter was some guy,<<

That was Bill Peterson (the FBI person, then ED Norton in Red Dragon), well known for his role in "Live and Die in LA", not to mention being Grism in the mega TV hit "CSI".

I am not sure how "quick" is consider quick, but the best known series with changing lead has to be 007.

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 06:41 AM

Luis Buñuel used two different actresses to play the same part in the same movie: That Obscure Object of Desire.
¡Time is not my master!

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 411 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted April 25 2003 - 07:03 AM

In the same series Jeff mentioned, the obvious switch is the role of Clarice Starling between Silence and Hannibal (since most don't consider Manhunter to be part of the series with the more recent three).
Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 07:59 AM

Jack Ryan went from Alec Baldwin to Harrison Ford to Ben Affleck.
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   Brad Hood

Brad Hood

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 08:45 AM

The Crow series. Brandon Lee was killed during the filming of the original. I think they even had to finish the first film with a double.

Granted Brandon Lee plays Eric Draven while Vincent Perez plays Ashe Corven in the sequel, but they are still both "The Crow." I assume they would have used Lee for a sequel if they could have.

Brad

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted April 25 2003 - 09:19 AM

Harry Potter will soon fall under this category with the replacement of the late Richard Harris for Dumbledore

As will Terminator 3 with the change of actor for John Connor

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   Clay Kilpatrick

Clay Kilpatrick

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 09:33 AM

Don't forget Back to the Future, with Elizibeth Shue taking over the role of Jennifer. Also Mortal Kombat 2 was pretty much a complete recast.

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,190 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 09:45 AM

I'm not sure Dumbledore was the main character in Harry Potter. Though Daniel Radcliffe (is that the kid's name?) said he doesn't want to do that many HP movies.

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 10:25 AM

In the Crow series, they had Mark Dacascos play Eric Draven in Crow: Stariway to Heaven. In Friendfs, Carol was played by Anita Barone in her first appearance and Jane Sibbert in every subsequent appearance.

In the Back to the Future series, George was played by Crispin Glover the the first movie and Jeffrey Wiseman in the next 2. This may not count as the largely used footage from part 1 (with Crispin) in number 2 and onlyu filled in with Jeffrey where they had to. (The 1985 scenes.)
My Collection

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 12:52 PM

Quote:
I am not sure how "quick" is consider quick, but the best known series with changing lead has to be 007.

"Quick" means the original actor's gone by the second movie - he appeared in the series' initial flick and was replaced by Film Two.

Quote:
The Crow series. Brandon Lee was killed during the filming of the original. I think they even had to finish the first film with a double.

Granted Brandon Lee plays Eric Draven while Vincent Perez plays Ashe Corven in the sequel, but they are still both "The Crow." I assume they would have used Lee for a sequel if they could have.

Probably, but since they DID make it a different character, this one doesn't match what I asked.

Quote:
Jack Ryan went from Alec Baldwin to Harrison Ford to Ben Affleck.

That's what I said in my original post - that's the main reason I posted in the first place, to find out if any OTHER series changed leads so quickly.

Not sure I made the goal of my question clear. I'm not simply asking for movies in which various actors changed - I can come up with plenty of those on my own. The replaced actor has to be THE LEAD, the acknowledged main character in the movie. Batman. Superman. James Bond. Luke Skywalker. Ripley. Marty McFly. I suppose Anakin Skywalker would fit from Menace to Clones, but that's not a case where the original actor could continue due to age issues. The other examples - John Connor, Marty's dad, Dumbledore, etc. - are interesting, but those roles were very much in the supporting domain.

Probably the best example raised here is the Clarice change between Lambs and Hannibal. Lecter himself wouldn't count because he most definitely wasn't the lead in Manhunter (and I refuse to consider it part of the same "series" as Lambs, Hannibal and Dragon anyway).
Colin Jacobson

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 01:31 PM

Do cheesy 80s flicks count?

They switched Angels in between 1984's Angel and 1985's Avenging Angel. And a fairly noticeable change, at that.

Stop laughing at me. Posted Image

Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be the called the State Police, State Troopers, Militia, the Rangers, or the Highway Patrol THE CITIZENS AUXILIARY POLICE!!! These are the stories of the men whose training, skill, and courage,...

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 01:35 PM

OK, then does it has to be a change of "initial" actor ??? As Lazenby (sp??, OHM Secret Service) only lasted one in the 007 fanchise, and I think Timothy Dalton did only 2???

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   Brad Hood

Brad Hood

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 02:03 PM

Kurt Russell plays Jack O'Neil in the original Stargate and Richard Dean Anderson takes over in Stargate SG-1. I guess it depends on whether you consider SG-1 a movie or just a pilot for a TV series.

Brad

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 03:17 PM

>>Stop laughing at me.>>

Angel's good Posted Image..
EMMANUELLE 1&2 with Sylvia Kristel, than countless others in the fanchise.

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Chucky P

Chucky P

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts
  • LocationMound, MN

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:07 PM

How many actors played Jason or Michael Myers? Posted Image

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:14 PM

Quote:
OK, then does it has to be a change of "initial" actor ???

Yup! Otherwise we could include folks like Val Kilmer and George Clooney from the Batman flicks...

Quote:
Do cheesy 80s flicks count?

Sure! Admittedly, I was more interested in series with greater mass appeal - I was most curious to figure out high profile changes like Baldwin-Ford or Foster-Moore, but your Angel example's a good one!

Quote:
Luis Buñuel used two different actresses to play the same part in the same movie: That Obscure Object of Desire.

Interesting. I never saw the film and noted on IMDB that Buñuel claims the first actress quit, which forced the change. Doesn't technically qualify for my question since it wasn't a "series" of movies, but it's a cool footnote!
Colin Jacobson

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow