What's new

Got A Message from Comcast about abuse violations (1 Viewer)

EvanB

Stunt Coordinator
i got an email today about a copyright infringment violation from universal. the message was as follows:

Dear Sir or Madam:

Please be advised that Universal City Studios, Inc. and its affiliated
companies (collectively "Universal") are the exclusive owners of certain
copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights in and to the
renowned motion picture properties (the "Universal Properties"),
including,
> but not limited to those listed below this notice (the "Universal Motion
Pictures").

Notwithstanding this, it has come to our attention that the Internet
site(s) located below, for which AT&T WorldNet Services is a service
provider, is offering unauthorized copies of the Universal Motion
Pictures. Universal diligently enforces its rights to the Universal
Properties in all forms of media. As you may be aware, Internet Service
Providers can be held liable if they do not respond to claims of
infringement pursuant to the requirements of the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act (the "DMCA"). In accordance with the DMCA, we are notifying
you of infringements on an Internet site for which you act as an Internet
Service Provider.

We hereby request your assistance in ceasing the distribution, sale,
and/or
> offering for sale of the infringing VCDs, and any other unauthorized
copies
> of Universal Properties, on this Internet site and any other sites for
which you act as an Internet Service Provider. Please contact me
regarding
> this matter at your earliest convenience.

Under the penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on
behalf of Universal with respect to this matter and the information
contained in this transmission is accurate. Please contact me regarding
this matter at your earliest convenience.

Finally, please be advised that this letter is not intended as a complete
statement of the facts or law as they pertain to this matter, and that
Universal reserves all rights and remedies.

Very truly yours,

Aaron Markham
Manager of Internet Anti-Piracy,
Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS, INC.
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA 91608
tel. (818) 777-3111
fax (818) 866-6339
[email protected]

*pgp public key is available on the key server at ldap://public.pgp.com

Title: Notting Hill
Infringement Source: eDonkey
Infringement Timestamp: 3/16/2003 3:28:43 PM PST (GMT-8:00)
Infringer Username: None
Infringing Filename: Notting Hill (DVD DivX).avi
Infringing Filesize: 732852224
Infringers IP Address: ************
Infringers DNS Name:
Infringing URL: ed2k://************:4662/Notting Hill

how worried should i be and what can i do to protect myself?

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
there's plenty of legitmate material to justify broadband. I don't think you'll get any sympathy from this audience

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It looks to me that your .avi file is in a shared location, meaning anyone on the p2p network can download it. I'd get it out of there, since your setup is allowing anyone and everyone to download copyrighted material from your system, which is "bad".

KJP

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
how worried should i be and what can i do to protect myself?
I'd say not very. For one they sent you an email. Just delete it and move on with your life. If they send you a letter in the mail then get a little worried. Just rename the file to something or move it out of the way. This is just a form letter of someone flexing their muscle trying to intimidate you. And then look into changing internet providers to someone who will actually respect your privacy. They don't have a warrent to search/scan your PC.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I can tell you as an employee of Comcast that they dont take this stuff lightly especially with an entity as large as Universal breathing down there neck. Be like the rest of us pay for you damn movies and quit being a means to corporations to tighten down on internet use, people like you cause laws to be passes like recently where one state has deemed routers & firewalls illegal due to the DMCA act.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
people like you cause laws to be passes like recently where one state has deemed routers & firewalls illegal due to the DMCA act
No actually congressmen are reasons for those laws that make no sense because they are being coerced by industry folk to believe things that aren't true. Contrary to the belief of the movie studios Evan is hurting NO ONE by having a avi of a movie on his HD. Who knows, Evan may have already paid to see Notting Hill in the theater and may have rented it already also but wanted to see it again. He's paid his due. Its not like he's making copies and selling it on the streets or anything. No money is being lost or gained.

Movie studios say it is a lost sale. I say it is a sale that never would have happened in the first place therefore there is no lost money.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
actually if you read the post he has this file in a shared folder through a P2P system therefore meaning that it is illegally available for distribution to other users so he is in fact breaking the law.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
yeah I'll try to get a link here up in a few a guy at work found the story so I gotta wait for him to get back to me about where it was.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Its not like he's making copies and selling it on the streets or anything. No money is being lost or gained.
But he did have it available for anyone on eDonkey to download (thus many *copies* could be downloaded). Whether intentional or not, this is what prompted the email, and it's this type of thing that makes the studios nervous.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Contrary to the belief of the movie studios Evan is hurting NO ONE by having a avi of a movie on his HD. Who knows, Evan may have already paid to see Notting Hill in the theater and may have rented it already also but wanted to see it again. He's paid his due. It's not like he's making copies and selling it on the streets or anything. No money is being lost or gained.
Mike....this logic simply does not hold water. When people pay to see a movie or better yet, buy a DVD, VHS or rent a movie....they are not buying the right to do whatever they want with that material. They are buying/renting a license to view that material on that specific medium. When someone buys a DVD...they are buying a license to view the movie in their home. By downloading these movies, one is not paying the creators and copyright owners their due for creating such material. And further.....by allowing others to distribute the material without consent of the copyright owners is very much against the law.

Just because someone rented a movie at the video store or saw it in the theater, does not give them the right to do whatever they want with that movie in the future.

Money is being lost because by Law...the coyright owners are due a certain percentage of dollars for every video sold or rented....hence VIEWED. It is how they make a living. When you buy a DVD....that viewing license covers an unlimited number of views on that particular DVD...nothing more.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
ya know as long as actors are living better lives then me I have absolutley no qualms in shafting them. perhaps if they acted and had a job at mickey D's just to make ends meet, I'd be more apt towards paying for stuff. . .

In addition perhaps my shafting artists and actors will someday cause a shift in the industry from being a bunch of money grubbing hacks to a being those who do it because they love it and not for the money.

and yes I do buy music cd's and movies, but I tend to buy music CD's from local bands that play well and sell them for 5$ at their gigs, I pay money for movies I enjoy watching. I hate my local movie theater because my home theater has better sound then them.

am I right in what I'm doing? probably not, but I feel it's for the better so I'll maintain doing it.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
"In addition, the discussion of bootleg material is prohibited in this forum in any form. "

Forum Rule 12..

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
"In addition, the discussion of bootleg material is prohibited in this forum in any form. "
I was waiting for someone to "quote the rule book". We aren't discussing bootleg material or how to acquire. Its more about the legality or justification or opinions on it. There is nothing illegal about stating ones opinion about that. Next post I'm sure will be a ibtl...its bound to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks