Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Got A Message from Comcast about abuse violations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
111 replies to this topic

#1 of 112 OFFLINE   EvanB

EvanB

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:30 AM

i got an email today about a copyright infringment violation from universal. the message was as follows:

Dear Sir or Madam:

Please be advised that Universal City Studios, Inc. and its affiliated
companies (collectively "Universal") are the exclusive owners of certain
copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights in and to the
renowned motion picture properties (the "Universal Properties"),
including,
> but not limited to those listed below this notice (the "Universal Motion
Pictures").

Notwithstanding this, it has come to our attention that the Internet
site(s) located below, for which AT&T WorldNet Services is a service
provider, is offering unauthorized copies of the Universal Motion
Pictures. Universal diligently enforces its rights to the Universal
Properties in all forms of media. As you may be aware, Internet Service
Providers can be held liable if they do not respond to claims of
infringement pursuant to the requirements of the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act (the "DMCA"). In accordance with the DMCA, we are notifying
you of infringements on an Internet site for which you act as an Internet
Service Provider.

We hereby request your assistance in ceasing the distribution, sale,
and/or
> offering for sale of the infringing VCDs, and any other unauthorized
copies
> of Universal Properties, on this Internet site and any other sites for
which you act as an Internet Service Provider. Please contact me
regarding
> this matter at your earliest convenience.

Under the penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on
behalf of Universal with respect to this matter and the information
contained in this transmission is accurate. Please contact me regarding
this matter at your earliest convenience.

Finally, please be advised that this letter is not intended as a complete
statement of the facts or law as they pertain to this matter, and that
Universal reserves all rights and remedies.

Very truly yours,

Aaron Markham
Manager of Internet Anti-Piracy,
Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS, INC.
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA 91608
tel. (818) 777-3111
fax (818) 866-6339
antipiracy@unistudios.com

*pgp public key is available on the key server at ldap://public.pgp.com

Title: Notting Hill
Infringement Source: eDonkey
Infringement Timestamp: 3/16/2003 3:28:43 PM PST (GMT-8:00)
Infringer Username: None
Infringing Filename: Notting Hill (DVD DivX).avi
Infringing Filesize: 732852224
Infringers IP Address: ************
Infringers DNS Name:
Infringing URL: ed2k://************:4662/Notting Hill

how worried should i be and what can i do to protect myself?
"I went not once, but twice through the spanking machine." -The Game

#2 of 112 OFFLINE   Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:39 AM

Quote:

uh don't download and distribute bootlegs?

#3 of 112 OFFLINE   EvanB

EvanB

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:46 AM

whats the point of having broadband then? i might as well get a 56k.
"I went not once, but twice through the spanking machine." -The Game

#4 of 112 OFFLINE   Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:53 AM

there's plenty of legitmate material to justify broadband. I don't think you'll get any sympathy from this audience

#5 of 112 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:53 AM

That's like saying if you drive a sports car you're entitled to break the speed limit.
No longer here.

#6 of 112 OFFLINE   Kevin P

Kevin P

Screenwriter

• 1,444 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 05:07 AM

It looks to me that your .avi file is in a shared location, meaning anyone on the p2p network can download it. I'd get it out of there, since your setup is allowing anyone and everyone to download copyrighted material from your system, which is "bad".

KJP

#7 of 112 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 05:16 AM

Quote:

I'd say not very. For one they sent you an email. Just delete it and move on with your life. If they send you a letter in the mail then get a little worried. Just rename the file to something or move it out of the way. This is just a form letter of someone flexing their muscle trying to intimidate you. And then look into changing internet providers to someone who will actually respect your privacy. They don't have a warrent to search/scan your PC.
Michael Alletto

#8 of 112 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
They don't have a warrent to search/scan your PC.

To be fair, they haven't - EvanB has/had this file shared to the world on eDonkey.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#9 of 112 OFFLINE   JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 08:05 AM

I can tell you as an employee of Comcast that they dont take this stuff lightly especially with an entity as large as Universal breathing down there neck. Be like the rest of us pay for you damn movies and quit being a means to corporations to tighten down on internet use, people like you cause laws to be passes like recently where one state has deemed routers & firewalls illegal due to the DMCA act.
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#10 of 112 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 10:10 AM

Quote:
people like you cause laws to be passes like recently where one state has deemed routers & firewalls illegal due to the DMCA act

No actually congressmen are reasons for those laws that make no sense because they are being coerced by industry folk to believe things that aren't true. Contrary to the belief of the movie studios Evan is hurting NO ONE by having a avi of a movie on his HD. Who knows, Evan may have already paid to see Notting Hill in the theater and may have rented it already also but wanted to see it again. He's paid his due. Its not like he's making copies and selling it on the streets or anything. No money is being lost or gained.

Movie studios say it is a lost sale. I say it is a sale that never would have happened in the first place therefore there is no lost money.
Michael Alletto

#11 of 112 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 10:26 AM

Quote:
Who knows, Evan may have already paid to see Notting Hill in the theater and may have rented it already also but wanted to see it again. He's paid his due. Its not like he's making copies and selling it on the streets or anything.

I'm going to respectfully disagree, Mike, as regardless of Evan having a legal copy or not, he doesn't have the right to put it up for download to anyone who wants.

Quote:
Movie studios say it is a lost sale. I say it is a sale that never would have happened in the first place therefore there is no lost money.

I believe that's completely & utterly irrelevant to this discussion Posted Image

Quote:
people like you cause laws to be passes like recently where one state has deemed routers & firewalls illegal due to the DMCA act.

Got a link?
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#12 of 112 OFFLINE   JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 10:27 AM

actually if you read the post he has this file in a shared folder through a P2P system therefore meaning that it is illegally available for distribution to other users so he is in fact breaking the law.

#13 of 112 OFFLINE   JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 10:29 AM

yeah I'll try to get a link here up in a few a guy at work found the story so I gotta wait for him to get back to me about where it was.

#14 of 112 OFFLINE   Kevin P

Kevin P

Screenwriter

• 1,444 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 10:32 AM

Quote:
Its not like he's making copies and selling it on the streets or anything. No money is being lost or gained.
But he did have it available for anyone on eDonkey to download (thus many *copies* could be downloaded). Whether intentional or not, this is what prompted the email, and it's this type of thing that makes the studios nervous.

#15 of 112 OFFLINE   JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 10:42 AM

heres the link.

http://www.computerw....,80245,00.html

#16 of 112 OFFLINE   Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 25 2003 - 11:21 AM

Quote:
Contrary to the belief of the movie studios Evan is hurting NO ONE by having a avi of a movie on his HD. Who knows, Evan may have already paid to see Notting Hill in the theater and may have rented it already also but wanted to see it again. He's paid his due. It's not like he's making copies and selling it on the streets or anything. No money is being lost or gained.

Mike....this logic simply does not hold water. When people pay to see a movie or better yet, buy a DVD, VHS or rent a movie....they are not buying the right to do whatever they want with that material. They are buying/renting a license to view that material on that specific medium. When someone buys a DVD...they are buying a license to view the movie in their home. By downloading these movies, one is not paying the creators and copyright owners their due for creating such material. And further.....by allowing others to distribute the material without consent of the copyright owners is very much against the law.

Just because someone rented a movie at the video store or saw it in the theater, does not give them the right to do whatever they want with that movie in the future.

Money is being lost because by Law...the coyright owners are due a certain percentage of dollars for every video sold or rented....hence VIEWED. It is how they make a living. When you buy a DVD....that viewing license covers an unlimited number of views on that particular DVD...nothing more.
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston

#17 of 112 OFFLINE   Tekara

Tekara

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 11:28 AM

ya know as long as actors are living better lives then me I have absolutley no qualms in shafting them. perhaps if they acted and had a job at mickey D's just to make ends meet, I'd be more apt towards paying for stuff. . .

In addition perhaps my shafting artists and actors will someday cause a shift in the industry from being a bunch of money grubbing hacks to a being those who do it because they love it and not for the money.

and yes I do buy music cd's and movies, but I tend to buy music CD's from local bands that play well and sell them for 5$ at their gigs, I pay money for movies I enjoy watching. I hate my local movie theater because my home theater has better sound then them.

am I right in what I'm doing? probably not, but I feel it's for the better so I'll maintain doing it.
"Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai

#18 of 112 OFFLINE   Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 12:07 PM

"In addition, the discussion of bootleg material is prohibited in this forum in any form. "

Forum Rule 12..

#19 of 112 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 12:23 PM

Quote:
Mike....this logic simply does not hold water.

Sorry for deviating from the original topic. Actually it does make some sense...to generalize it is that when someone downloads a movie to watch on their pc illegally I would say that that person never intended to see the movie in the first place. Whether it was available online illegally or by buying a ticket in the theater or renting it. It just so happens that the opportunity to take it presented itself so it was done. If that opportunity wasn't there that person would never have seen it or wanted to see it in the first place. In order for there to be lost money an individual has to want to pony up the cash in the first place. The majority of people who d/l movies/music would never had bought the thing to start with.

Hypothetical situation:
1. A new cd comes out. I don't want to buy it but its new so I download it just for the hell of it. I would never have bought it in the first place so how did they lose money by me downloading it?

2. A new cd comes out. The band has sucked in the past so I don't want to get taken for $15-$20 again so I download the full album. I like it then buy it and rip better copies onto mp3. Illegal or not?

3. A new movie comes out on dvd. I buy it. I then loan it to a friend, who loans it to his friend, etc, etc, etc on down the line. I'm the one who paid for it. But we are distributing it among friends and people we know until everyone gets a chance to see it. People who borrow it can keep it as long as they want, then pass it to the next person. The only difference between this and p2p is each person doesn't have a copy, but other than that you could say we are robbing the studio of sales just the same as downloading it over the internet. Its no different than me downloading a movie over a p2p system, watching it then deleting it. Yet loaning cd's and dvd's isn't frowned upon. People don't walk around calling other people pirates because they loaned a dvd to a friend.

For whatever its worth, I don't d/l movies. They are too big, take too long and the whole thing about watching movies sitting in front of my computer just annoys me. I rent more now that I buy and I own over 200 dvd's. I don't buy cd's anymore unless they are under $10. Too much crap out and it costs too much.

Quote:
"In addition, the discussion of bootleg material is prohibited in this forum in any form. "

I was waiting for someone to "quote the rule book". We aren't discussing bootleg material or how to acquire. Its more about the legality or justification or opinions on it. There is nothing illegal about stating ones opinion about that. Next post I'm sure will be a ibtl...its bound to happen.
Michael Alletto

#20 of 112 OFFLINE   Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 01:31 PM

Quote:
ya know as long as actors are living better lives then me I have absolutley no qualms in shafting them. perhaps if they acted and had a job at mickey D's just to make ends meet, I'd be more apt towards paying for stuff. . .

This 'stick it to the man' arguement does not work. Sure, the actors and directors may make millions, but there are plenty of people who worked on the movie who don't.
Quote:
In addition perhaps my shafting artists and actors will someday cause a shift in the industry from being a bunch of money grubbing hacks to a being those who do it because they love it and not for the money.

They are making movies to make money, yes. That's the only way you are able to enjoy these movies. You say you hate these people for earning a living, but you still want to watch their movies. It doesn't matter if you think you'll change anything, because you won't and you will only see less movies being released when the ones made to be box office draws and make millions don't make any money because of pirates. 'Shafting the artists' won't make a difference. Supporting the ones who you like and actually are making movies for their love of movies will. I bet there's a good indie/art theater in you town. Supporting it will show studios that people want quality movies made by quality artists.
Quote:
I tend to buy music CD's from local bands that play well and sell them for 5$ at their gigs,

That's great. You are supporting quality bands, not paying through the labels and supporting good artists with your money. I don't know why you don't have this same philosophy with movies, or maybe you download plenty of music also.

Quote:
I pay money for movies I enjoy watching.

But the problem is you think you can watch anything else for free.

You even say yourself it is wrong, but I can't see how you think it is for the better.
Xbox Live GamerTag: Sherbz
My Games My Movies Top 20

Back to Computers

Forum Nav Content I Follow