What's new

XBox Clone Wars--Bought and Sold in 24 Hours (1 Viewer)

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
So I've been addicted to Zelda for the past month and have completely neglected Live. I have been looking forward to the Clone Wars and stopped by Toys R Us to pick it up last night. I was excited, the preliminary reviews looked good, it's a Star Wars game, it's on Live, what more could I want?

Well, let's start with a good game. I played offline for about 20 minutes. The game was fair, nothing special, much like Jedi Starfighter. Then, I tried the Live part. I had read about the different modes and was pretty excited. The good news is that the rooms are very easy to get into and load very fast; every Live game should run as easily as the Clone Wars. I started with a "Duel" match which is basically like Destruction on MechAssault.

I'm not going to go into a detailed review here, but the best way to describe the Live experience is like MechAssault at Unreal Championship speed. The boards seemed way too big and unnecessarily complex. I like the fact that every time you die, a new vehicle can be selected, but none of the choices are terribly appealing. The game seemed to chug along and no one was really having much fun. The action was very sporadic, even in 8-man rooms, and the game was just not fun to play. I tried a few of the other modes and found pretty much the same thing.

I was very disappointed and give the game a C-. I bought the game at 5:30 yesterday and my eBay auction just closed an hour ago (Buy It Now for $40, so I only lost $10 on the deal).

Anyone else played this? I guess my expectactions were way too high, I should know better when anticipating a game from Lucas Arts by now. I was hoping that a lot of HTF guys would pick the game up and it would become like MechAssault II, but for me, the game is certainly not worth $50, not even including the campaign mode. If I see it under $20 somewhere in the future, I might pick it up again, but definetly give this one a rental first.:thumbsdown:

What does everyone else think? Were my expectations too high or does anyone else feel the same way?

James D S

Screenwriter
That's not encouraging. :frowning: I was about to put my GC version on eBay and upgrade to the Xbox version, but perhaps I needn't be so excited about doing so. I think I should still do the upgrade, though. Afterall, the standalone game is the same and at least the XBox version would give me the option to go online if I so choose.

It's a shame to hear that you didn't enjoy that aspect of the game. I guess I'll just have to curb my enthusiasm.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Conquest Mode is good but mine just went on ebay also. Cant believe its that bad. I never get rid of a game so quick

Thank god wolfenstein and new Mech Assault content is arriving soon so this horrid game can get out of my head. Well at least it wont cut into my PSO time :)

capt

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate with Rob here. I picked up Clone Wars for Xbox yesterday and very much enjoyed it.

The single-player game is solid but nothing particularly special -- anyone with the Gamecube version will tell you that. But this game screamed for online then, and LucasArts has done it right.

Destruction mode is not where the game shines. Conquest mode is much better. This adds RTS elements to the online game. Each team spawns with a base, and there are numerous unclaimed outposts around the map. When one team claims an outpost, they can build up to four defensive turrets and a few CPU-controlled vehicles from those outposts. Then, the outposts can be configured with some kind of superweapon that can aimed at enemies or their bases.

I played for a while last night and found the action to be fast and furious. I'm not saying it's going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I found it enjoyable -- and I'm not much on MechAssault.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Destruction mode is not where the game shines. Conquest mode is much better.
You may have a point, Brandon. I played Conquest only once or twice and I can see where it would be more entertaining, but for me, it's not worth keeping the game. I've heard that the offline mode is identical to the other consoles, "solid but nothing spectacular" describes it perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

Some may thoroughly enjoy the game, but I had expected MUCH more. I don't know why I set my sights so high, Lucas Arts continues to screw up the Star Wars frachise. Let's hope KOTOR, Galaxies, and Rogue Squadron III can redem ol' Luke and company.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Let's hope KOTOR, Galaxies, and Rogue Squadron III can redem ol' Luke and company.
Considering all three are being developed by oustide developers (Namely Bioware, Sony Online Entertainment and Factor 5) I dont think you have much to worry about:).

Furthermore this is really not a suprise. It was an average game at best on the GC and PS2. Live support can only do so much for the title.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
To be fair, Clone Wars was developed by an outside developer, too -- and one well regarded for that type of game.

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I am sooooo glad I decided to preorder Wolfenstein instead of this one. I may still give it a rent, but based on this thread, it looks like this won't be one of the games I add to my Live library. Besides, as many have said here and elsewhere, it just gives me more PSO time. Damn you Sega for my lack of sleep! ;)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Clone Wars was developed by an outside developer, too -- and one well regarded for that type of game.
I dont know about well regarded Brandon. Battlezone II was for the most part blah crap and Pandemic's claim to fame was Dark Reign 2 which was I'll admit a fairly good game. Of course you may just be a big Army Men RTS fan:D.

I will concede to the outside developer portion of your statement;).

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I put mine up on eBay a couple of hours after I got it today. I knew this game would suck coming from LucasArts. Why the hell is it so difficult for them to make decent games? They only own the rights to possibly the biggest money making franchise ever. It's like if they don't have someone else like Factor 5 make the game for them it's a loss cause.

James St

Supporting Actor
I was dying for a new Live game so I picked up Clone Wars. Its nothing special but I'm not ready to get rid of it yet. I played online for a few hours but ended up getting disconnected from every game at some point. I haven't completed a single game even though I had a five green bar connection rating on each. The game locked up a lot when trying to leave a game after being disconnected and when viewing the scoreboard. As usual the game runs P2P and there is an abundant amount of lag.

I can't wait for Wolfenstein but I'm preparing for another possible letdown as far as the Live aspect goes. With what I've seen from XBL so far, 16 player games running P2P don't sound very promising.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I think the LIVE library is still a bit small and I don't see the overall harm in having a halfway decent action game that you can pop in from time to time and play a quick game or 2.
Give it some time, you'll soon see the harm in vivid color.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I just picked this up today, even after reading this thread, because, well, I am a Stars Wars geek :b Anyway, got my buddy to buy it as well. We played Conquest in split screen mode and it was good fun. Looking forward to it on LIVE.

Only gripe so far, the framerate is less than stellar on the 1st single player mission... but still very playable. Time will tell...

Mike D.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I played it for a day. Then i even tried it last night before sending it off and my opinion still is the same. Like i said, and and the few people who like it somewhat have said. Conquest mode is pretty fun once you can actually do a complete game. But $50 isnt worth it for one good mode in my opinion when so many other things are wrong with the game. Hell ive liked some bad sw games in the past. Even bad Trek games. Lucasasrts needs to start getting these games back to excellent levels like The X-wing series were.

capt

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I dont know about Rob but i beat the single player mode fairly quickly and then played online for a while.

capt

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I don't see the overall harm in having a halfway decent action game that you can pop in from time to time and play a quick game or 2.
I guess this is the key difference for me. I probably only buy 6-8 games in a year and play the hell out of them before I get another one. I expect at least 20 hours of solid gameplay before I'm sick of a game. To me, this game is not worth the $50 I could spend on another quality game or a couple of used games I've wanted for a while. I sold Clone Wars so quickly in order to get the most possible on eBay (I did get $40 back, pretty good); I figured many people would be selling this and I wanted to beat the market flood.

I hope everyone else that bought and kept the game enjoys it, I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Like ive said before. Everyone has there opinion. There have been games/movies and music ive loved and others have hated. CLone wars is just another one of them. Looking around on the net boards and reviews from many sites other then the major ones it seems to be split around 60 % dislike and 40% like. And 20% of the ones that like it said "I had to get it because its starwars". Go figure :) If you like it enjoy and have fun

capt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks