Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading from Panasonic RP56

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 09:18 AM

I currently have a Panasonic RP56 DVD player and have been hit w/ the upgrade bug (possibly for no reason). I doubt i'll be moving up in picture quality in the price range i'm looking at. I would like another faroujda based player, and i'm looking at the following (all panasonic):

CP72 (new or used)
RP82 (used)
RP91 (used)

I would like the RP91 because my Panasonic RPTV locks in full mode on progressive sources. I would also like DVD-A even though it'll be awhile before i use it. What differences are there in the RP82 and CP72, other than the CP72 being a 5-disc changer? If I can get $75 - $100 out of my RP56 and pick up an RP91 for $250 used, would I be doing good?

Thanks Posted Image

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Laurence_C

Laurence_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 10:49 AM

Stephen, You can get a NEW Champagne colored, Panasonic RP-91 at OneCall.com for a little over what you want to spend. They have them on clearance, I'd snatch one up quick if you really want a SUPERIOR DVD player. They're offering it for less than 1/2 of retail. I have a BLACK model and it is everything you'll expect and more.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 11:58 AM

I found the RP91 for $289 w/ free shipping from www.newegg.com and i'm really considering it. I can't even find the RP82 for that price. I just ordered it so i guess now I just need to sell my RP56 Posted Image

Thanks Posted Image

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 12:15 PM

You'll love the 91. It is a great player and the non-anamaphoric scaling is great.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   BobJ

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 03:22 PM

Quote:
I would like another faroujda based player,

WARNING: the RP-91 does NOT have the Faroujda chip. Unless you need scaling, you might be better off with either a XP30 or XP 50 for around $200.

I had a RP56 and a RP91 and I finally ended up with a RP82.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 03:34 PM

Scailing is important since my TV locks all progressive inputs to full (stretched) mode. I was a good amount of 4:3 DVDs such as seasons of TV shows, and the only way to watch them w/out the stretch is to turn the progressive output off on my DVD player.

Initially I mentioned wanting a Faroujda based player because I thought Faroujda players didn't exhibit the Chroma bug. Since I have learned that the Chroma bug is due to the MPEG Decoder, not the Deinterlacer and all Panasonic players are Chroma Bug free.

Thanks Posted Image

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 12:27 AM

I have both a 91 and an XP30 with the DCDI chip. On everyday viewing, I see virtually no difference between them on my Pioneer Elite 530 rptv. On some material, the XP30's chip will do a better job. As an overall player, the 91 beats it. It has better build quality, better remote, scaling, dvd-audio, and a coaxil out. There are also many more user adjustable settings that the XP30 doesn't have. Also, the xp30, xp50, RP82, and RP91 all use the same MPEG decoder.