What's new

Subwoofer Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Greg Van Hulle

Auditioning
I have a DIY Adire Audio Tempest subwoofer and I was wondering do I connect the wires for the second voice coil off of the first coil, or do I have to wire them both from the input cup's connector. I was wondering because I have to have my 250W amp over half way to get good volume. I have a friend and he has the same amp and he only has to put it less than a quarter of the way. Could it be a problem in the design or air leaking out of my tube or the wiring?
Please help me!!!
Greg Van Hulle

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Wire the coils in parallel. You can do this at the VC so only one set of wires go from the driver to the binding posts. Or you can do this at the binding posts. Either way doesn't really matter, whatever is more convienent for you.

Wiring and air leaks can definately cause output problems. But for other possible reasons.

Are the allignments the same? Are the rooms and placements very different? What is the supplying the signals (does he have is bass trim really high and is yours really low)?

Don't worry too much about where the gain dial is set. What matters most is that the sub is calibrated with an SPL meter to the same level as the other speakers and that you like how it sounds.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Also, Greg, your friend may have turned his receiver's sub level up higher than you have during setup. Many folks agree that is is better to have your sub volume set at a reasonable level first so as not to have to possibly overload the receiver's preamp by having to turn the receiver's sub level up really high when calibrating.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Speaking from experience, you won't be able to calibrate your sub properly with that amp if you have it turned up too high and your receiver's sub out turned down low. Set your amp's gain somewhere between 1/4-1/3 from minimum and use your receiver's sub out to calibrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks