What's new

Doing a speech and Powerpoint on OAR...need some good images. (1 Viewer)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I am involved at an event called Speech Night at my college. I have been asked to be a guest speaker, with the topic of my choice. I figured it'd be fun to do a speech on OAR and why one shouldn't buy Pan and Scan. Anyhow, I will be using Powerpoint for images from films. I've looked online, and couldn't find any decent resolution pics of some films. I got some off my own DVD's, but I really wanted to get some from Star Wars A New Hope. Anyone have some high res captures from A New Hope they could get me to demonstrate how Pan and Scan kills the composition? Thanks, and if anyone else has other pictures they feel would be nice to include, that's cool too. After I finish the presentation and speech, I'll post it for all to look at. Thanks everyone and long live OAR!!!

AJ Garman

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Ironically...I could use some similar images. Today in my film class, the prof was ranting about P&S and when I agreed, she asked if I could find some examples and bring them in for friday.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Yeah, I've seen those already. The speech is in a big hall with probably a 100" screen, so those images won't hold up very well. Thanks anyhow though.

AJG

BarryS

Second Unit
Ghostbusters and Blazing Saddles are two of my favorites to compare. Blazing Saddles has widescreen and pan and scan on the same disc, however Ghostbusters is only widescreen so you'd have to use VHS most likely.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
I teach 8th graders, and I would love to have a powerpoint presentation comparing OAR and pan and scan. I do a brief lesson on the artistic value of movies, and discussing OAR is part of the lesson. I actually intended to make my own powerpoint this summer, but I would be very grateful if you would consider sharing the fruits of your labor! My students have been very receptive to the concept of OAR, and a powerpoint would drive the point home even further.

One of the concepts that works best for them is when I ask them this question about DaVinci's "The Last Supper": What would you say if a museum told you "I'm sorry but we had to cut the picture to fit our frame--you don't get to see six of the apostles, but at least it fits the frame."

Most of my students don't see film as an art until we talk about it and I use that comparison.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Do you have any DVDs with widescreen and P&S? There are quite a few out there. Just use PowerDVD or WinDVD (or any other semi-decent DVD software) to take screenshots.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Yeah, I've taken some of my own shots with PowerDVD, but I really wanted Star Wars for one of them because it is so recognizable. Maybe if Mr. Lucas would...well, I digress. Also, instead of the Last Supper, I'm using the Mona Lisa. I know, it's bars on the side, but people will still get the idea. Besides, I found a really high res photo of the Mona Lisa. Cheers!

AJG

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
On the painting side of things you might also want to check out 'The Wreck of the Medusa'. Not only is it a fantastic painting (I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago and I always stop by just to marvel at it and a few other works) but as an added bonus it's roughly the right shape for the comparison and relies heavily on its composition to work. Chop a yard off either side and it simply wouldn't be the same. :)

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
I can't really help you with the piccies but just wanted to congratulate that people take this so seriously and are actually involved in trying to "convert" joe public.
Great:emoji_thumbsup:

And when you are done could you somehow make it available for others? No I'm not lazy (well a bit) but it would be nice to have some proper presentaion.
keep up th work:emoji_thumbsup:

Christian P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Aaron!

From the pics at widescreen.org, which one(s) do you have in mind?
I have SWE4 Non-SE, decent quality. Is 970x540 pixels ok?

Chris

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. Christian, I was thinking of the shot at the end in the throne room, as well as the shot on the Death Star with Vader, Tarkin, and the other imperial dignitaries. As for making it available, I'll post the powerpoint file online once I am finished with it, which should be no later than Monday April 28. Thanks again everyone!

AJG

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I did a speech on OAR last year and it was a huge success. When people see the evidence in front of them they become believers. I showed a pan and scan moment in Ghostbusters 2, when all four arrive in the museum fullscreen can't frame them all so the camera pans left and you can tell how artificial it looks.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
As for making it available, I'll post the powerpoint file online once I am finished with it, which should be no later than Monday April 28. Thanks again everyone!
that would be fantastic. Thanks a lot:emoji_thumbsup:
I will then use it to convert all the infediles out there.

Richard Gustave

Auditioning
If you have access to "Contempt", there is a nice Wide Screen demo. It shows the 2.35:1 image, but it shades the areas that were missing from the full frame tapes. I know it isn't as recognizable as Star Wars, but it is a good demo.

I think that PowerDVD has the option to alter aspect ratios. If you are able to use/take screenshots with it, you could take a shot of the correct ratio and then alter the aspect ratio and take a cropped screenshot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks