Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

UPN's Enterprise: Letter-boxed 16:9

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 SeanA

SeanA

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:10 PM

I am a Trekky and yet not a big fan of Enterprise, but I was excited to see how it would look in widescreen now that I have my new Samsung digital receiver for OTA reception. What a disappointment... the local UPN station appears to have letter-boxed UPN even though the show is widescreen. I have gray bars on both sides and black bars on the top and bottom.

Am I correct that they are forcing the show into 4:3 format and not broadcasting it in HD ??? If so, why would they do this to a show that is recorded in 16:9 ???
Sean
Samsung HL-R4667W DLP, Denon DVD-1600, Sony DVPNS75H, H/K AVR 225, Wharfedale Emeralds and Diamonds

#2 of 12 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 04:15 PM

Sean, Enterprise is not broadcast in HD.

#3 of 12 SteveBr

SteveBr

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 12:00 AM

Jack,

It is in Australia.....

Steve Brown

#4 of 12 SeanA

SeanA

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 03:29 PM

Hey Guys,

I've been away for a little while, but thanks for the feedback.

Just wondering why Enterprise would be 16:9 format if it is not HD ? What is it taped in HD, but UPN does not broadcast it in HD ?
Sean
Samsung HL-R4667W DLP, Denon DVD-1600, Sony DVPNS75H, H/K AVR 225, Wharfedale Emeralds and Diamonds

#5 of 12 Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 08:26 PM

My guess is that it is being shot on film, probably super 35, reason being that it is one of the first shows being produced with future DVD releases in mind. It's a good bet they are recording the audio with a 5.1 mix in mind as well.

#6 of 12 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 10:30 AM

Quote:
Just wondering why Enterprise would be 16:9 format if it is not HD ?

I'm sure Enterprise is shot with HD in mind. It just doesn't happen to be broadcast in HD, at least in the U.S. Given UPN's financial problems, is anyone surprised that it isn't springing for HD broadcast facilities?

I'm moving this to TV.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#7 of 12 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 10:44 AM

Enterprise is mastered in HD, the problem is that very few UPN stations have HD broadcast capability. When I talked to my local UPN programming director about Buffy's pre-emptions with emergency sporting events, I asked if they were planning on showing Enterprise in HD now that they have the equipment in place. He told me that UPN only sends the stamdard (non-anamorphic) NTSC master out on their feeds, and that they might do an HDTV test run in May (this was back in the fall) with Enterprise. Frankly I'm guessing that not enough UPN stations are HD ready for them to bother, and frankly I have my doubts that they're going to spend the satellite time to broadcast an anamorphic version for the few stations on DTV either.

#8 of 12 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 11:32 AM

HD is not anamorphic. It's frame is native 1.78:1. DVD has the anamorphic enhancement feature because it was originally designed for 1.33:1 TV's.

Dan

#9 of 12 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,423 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 11:58 AM

Quote:
HD is not anamorphic. It's frame is native 1.78:1. DVD has the anamorphic enhancement feature because it was originally designed for 1.33:1 TV's.

Dan,

When I had my CRT front projector set up by an ISF tech, I saw very clearly that HD material was stretched vertically, and that the projector's picture had to be vertically squeezed by 25% to make the picture correct. This is exactly the same procedure that is used for anamorphic DVDs. So HD IS anamorphic (or, to put it another way, it requires the same squeezing for 4:3 TVs that DVDs do that are "enhanced for 16:9 TVs"). This is exactly what I was told to expect by Guy Kuo when I first bought my DTC-100 HD receiver, and my experience with my current front projector and my previous one confirms what he told me.

#10 of 12 BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 02:04 PM

Robert, you're right. On a set that is capable of displaying both anamorphic and non-anamorphic material, HD should be treated as if it were anamorphic, just like an anamorphic DVD.

But Dan is also correct. Technically, HD is not anamorphic since it displays in the correct aspect ratio on native HD display equipment. Since HD is its own standard, and not an "enhancement" of a "non-anamorphic" standard, it is what it is by definition. And by definition, it's not anamorphic - it's just, um... "wider" than NTSC television.

So even though it's not anamorphic, don't expect to have it display correctly on an NTSC-capable set unless you treat it as if it were anamorphic.

Clear as mud? I thought so. Posted Image
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#11 of 12 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,392 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 02:05 PM

Well, anamorphic DVD's have the same horizontal resolution regardless of whether it's 4:3 or 16:9. True HDTV has full 16:9 resolution.

Anamorphic refers to the fact that the source is horizontally distorted and then optically reconstituted by stretching the image back into proportion. Both 1080i and 720p are 1.78 ratio resolutions.

#12 of 12 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 08:48 AM

Yup, many rear and front projection CRT sets squeeze the rasters in order to get a 1.78:1 image from 1.33:1 guns, however the HD format is digital and it's two main resolutions, 1080 and 720, equal approx. 1.78:1.

Dan

Forum Nav Content I Follow