What's new

Kelly Clarkson of American Idol debuts at Billboard album chart #1 (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I am old (35), but I sure don't get the appeal of the TV show "American Idol". To me, this is just another (no)singing talent contest. Miss Clarkson looks good and can certainly carry a tune, but to debut at #1 on the Billboard album chart??? Ahead of a regrouped (more or less) Fleetwood Mac ("Say You Will" debuted at #3)??? I'm sure now the world is pretty much coming to an end....

MatS

Screenwriter
it's all about appealing to the lowest common denominator, the mass American public.

it's called marketing (to sheep)

what about this is so hard to understand

the fact 2003 Fleetwood Mac debuted at #3 only enforces this, it doesn't make Clarkson's debut seem any more unreal

given the audience size that the "Idol of America" played to for countless nights, 300K is nothing to write home about

ps. her fan base is also too young or too old to know how to or spend the time downloading...the Mac's is definately to old

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Haven't heard Clarkson's album but did pick up the Mac album. Not very impressed. Perhaps there's a reason it's #3 beyond teenybopper marketing tactics.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Well, Rolling Stone gave it 3 stars and AMG gave it 4 (both out of 5) Apparently, it's not a bad pop album. Cra-zee.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Oh the horror. When will the public realize that they are imbecilles? I wish they'd come here to HTF and see the light. We are so great.

/Mike

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
but to debut at #1 on the Billboard album chart??? Ahead of a regrouped (more or less) Fleetwood Mac ("Say You Will" debuted at #3)???
Danny I have a few thoughts on this:

1. American Idol while not my cup of tea is an innovative way to develop talent and generate a fan base at the same time. Kelly's debut at least shows some much needed marketing creativity in music.

2. Fleetwood Mac no longer includes Christine McVie so is it really Fleetwood Mac? I think not and many critics are less than enthusiastic about this album.

3. American Idol IMHO is an improvement over throwing another big contract to Madonna or another big star. At least they are developing talent here.

4. If American Idol is successful it may lead to good musicians...why not a niche format American Idol for metal or rap or jazz?

5. This demonstrates that smaller producers like Simon and others can develop talent more efficiently than big stupid record labels.

Why not go this route?

Why not create an "indie label" Idol to compete with American Idol? If Kelly's music is truly aweful to a large number of people then you should be able to make money on this...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Assuming 5 stars = 100%
3 of 5 stars = 60%
60% = Grade D-

A rough translation, but far from a rave review in any case. I agree with Lee, Christine McVie is sorely missed.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Assuming 5 stars = 100%
3 of 5 stars = 60%
60% = Grade D-
A rough translation, but far from a rave review in any case.
Um, uh, what? Rough translation? You can't be serious. Anyways, here is the Rolling Stone rating system:

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: Classic
:star: :star: :star: :star: Excellent
:star: :star: :star: Good
:star: :star: Fair
:star: Poor

Short Excerpt:

"Her high notes are sweet and pillowy, her growl is bone-shaking and sexy, and her midrange is amazingly confident for a pop posy whose career is tied for eternity to the whims of her American Idol overlords. Thankful is testament to marketable young ladies with more talent than artistic freedom."

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...410&cf=2044862

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I agree, that's gonne be interesting to see. I think a lot of it could just be the same thing that happen to niche bands with a devoted but small following: they buy the record just as it comes out, it debutes high, and then falls because their fans have all bought it.

In this case it could just be curiosity, and then it will go away once the curious people have all bought it.

But I'm happy for her at least, it's gotta feel pretty good!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks