What's new

Interesting OAR e-mail from Blockbuster (1 Viewer)

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
As usual, I sent in my monthly e-mail to Blockbuster:

The movie studios determine whether or not to release their DVDs in standard (full-screen) or wide-screen versions. It is our preference, and the preference of our customers that the studios include both versions on one disc when technically feasible. However, in the past, when the studios have chosen to release separate standard and wide-screen version DVDs, it has caused confusion amongst our customers. To minimize this confusion, we have chosen to carry only one version of a DVD title in our stores.

Beginning this year (2003), based on customer feedback, we have started to purchase the majority of our DVD product in the wide-screen version. As our customers become more familiar with the wide-screen format, they have come to understand the benefit it offers, which is a picture area that more closely resembles the theatrical version.
Now, I personally haven't actually seen the "majority of DVD product" in wide-screen yet, but perhaps this is actually on its way. We'll see...

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Pretty good for Blockbuster, but they'll have to stop their NC-17 ban to get me to set foot in there again. (How bout a ban on Macrovision?)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Finally Blockbuster listens. I've been getting my DVDs at Hollywood video and will continue to do so but it's nice to know that BB can now become an alternative for a hard to find title.

Jesse, trust the fungus indeed on 6/3 when we get the DVD;) .

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
For the record, I went to my local Blockbuster last week and they ONLY had the widescreen version of Drumline available for rent. I was actually pretty impressed!

Here's hoping that this positive trend continues!

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
My local blockbuster has been stocking almost exclusively widescreen for quite some time (with a few rare but irritating exceptions).

This certainly looks like it's good news for the rest of their chain though!

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Blockbuster has been advertiseing $14.99 Pre-viewed dvds (cdn $$) so I went to check out what was available unfortunately they had TONS of copies of many movies I would purchase but they were all full-screen!

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
My local Blockbuster has recently been pulling a 180 and now stocking only widescreen product. Drumline, Harry Potter, etc. Definitely a good sign.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Beginning this year (2003), based on customer feedback, we have started to purchase the majority of our DVD product in the wide-screen version. As our customers become more familiar with the wide-screen format, they have come to understand the benefit it offers, which is a picture area that more closely resembles the theatrical version.
It's all about feedback people. I hope the rest of you (us/me) are sending in your monthly letter to Block Buster letting them know you prefer widescreen...

Great news. Thanks for sharing.

dave

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Michael, I don't do Blockbuster, I usually hit the Hastings on Texas and Holleman. It has a great selection, stocks unrated, and stocks the vast majority of its titles in W/S. BB is only when I can't find it at Hastings.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
My local Movie Gallery recently went from stocking all P&S to nearly all widescreen for the new additions. I was absolutely shocked when I went in after a few months of "protest" and saw the change.

MikeZ

Auditioning
I had a free rental per week for a year from Blockbuster (for signing up with directv through them), my local store always carried widescreen.

I am proud to say that I have never actually paid for a rental from Blockbuster. Around here, the dominant video store is a place called Family Video, followed by a distant second, Hollywood Video. Also, it has been a couple of years since I've paid more than $1 to rent a DVD, new releases included (and I normally rent two to four DVDs / week). We did have a Hastings for a while, they got their butts handed to them in a sling. Nice selection, but the prices were horrible. The only time I actually spent money there was at 75% off at their going out of business sale. Viva competicion!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Jonathan: I, too am from Maine and have been bearing down on Movie Gallery - it seems to be paying off. But if you are anywhere near Brunswick, check out BART AND GREG'S DVD EXPLOSION. Great selection (including ERASERHEAD and SUNRISE!) Short of that, Hollywood in Augusta and other places has a far superior selection of catalog titles. MOVIE GALLERY pretty much caters to J6P, but the individual store managers are making an effort to stock
WS and more extensive catalog titles.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
As our customers become more familiar with the wide-screen format, they have come to understand the benefit it offers
Ah.. the fog begins to clear. :D

See BB? All it took was either:

A. A little eduction and/or patience on your part.. OR
B. Giving customers no option other than OAR. ;)

I'm thrilled to see this. :)

However, until my local BB actually hires some staff with an intellect above that of your average poodle, I'm continuing to go to Rogers Video. ;)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
**Rant begins**
You know what PISSED me off to the extent where I will NEVER, and I mean NEVER rent from the craphole known as Blockbuster again....edited movies. It was bad enough getting the movie in pan/scan but they edited out scenes that were "not appropriate". Whatever the hell that means. What a RIPOFF! I was never told that they edited their movies nor was it written any where on the title. So I in essence I paid for part of a movie....the part THEY felt was appropriate. No amount, shy of a reimbursement of rental fees, would bring me to rent from them.

Here's the link:

http://www.citypages.com/databank/24...ticle11070.asp

The article is misleading because I swear that I have rented R rated titles and discovered later that there were scenes cut....Shakespeare in Love comes to mind.
**Rant over**

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

I wonder if this has anything to do with the sudden resurgence of double sided DVDs from studios such as Fox (The Transporter, Phone Booth, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.