What's new

Speakers weak when using DVD (1 Viewer)

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
I have an issue with my system. My Yamaha reciever sounds fine with the volume set at -55 for music and CD's. When I switch to the DVD I have to jack the volume up to -25 for normal viewing, and all the way to -14 or so for real effect.

Anyone have any idea why this is so. Do I have an improper sound field selected, is the DVD sound output weak, or do I have some other setting messed up.

The funny thing is the subwoofer seems to be working fine. It is so loud on DVD I have to turn it all the way down or it is overwhelming.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Scott,

It probably has to do with the dynamic range recorded on Dolby Digital 5.1 / DTS tracks on the DVD.

Basically, 5.1 and DTS tracks are "wider" and have a much greater range of sound than what can be reproduced from pro-logic and stereo recorded tracks. It's not a difference in volume as much as more sound information to decode and reproduce by the receiver and speakers for your ears to hear.

Try this...
If your receiver has it, (look in manual) for "dynamic range" or something similar. See if you can reduce it or turn it off completely. Once off or reduced, listen to the same DVDs and see if there is a noticeable difference.
I prefer to keep the dynamic range on full but you may prefer not too.

Good Luck,
Brian

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Futher to Brian's comments, a simple check would be to play a music CD in the DVD-player. Is the volume O.K. now? If yes, than Brian is correct. If no, then check your receiver's setup settings. Some receivers allow you to set levels for each source, so your DVD may be set lower than your CD. Other receivers like Onkyo/Integra have a feature called "Intellivolume" that allows for the same kind of adjustment in overall levels of different sources.

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Right now everything is hooked up with cables. Would switching to the optical cable improve this any. I know the DVDhas an optical output, and the reciever has an input, but don't want to buy the cable if I dont have to.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Scott, is your DVD-player currently hooked up to your receiver via analog cables or by a digital coaxial cable? If only by analog cables then I'd highly recommend getting an optical cable as you suggest. You need to have digital coax or optical hookup if you want to pass bitsteam digital data to your receiver. This may clear things up.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
Scott:

If your DVD player and receiver support coax for the digital input/output, you can use any good grade, shielded coax cable and it will work just fine. That way you can get your digital connection and not have to spring for an additional cable!

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Is the coax cable superior to the RCA cables I have hooked up right now??

I figured 3 wires was better than 1, so I used those. I am looking forward to getting home and messing around with it now.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1) I discussed this Difference in the FAQ and PRIMER- link in my signature.
Why is CD and TV so much louder than DVDs- Did I hook it up wrong? by Vince Maskeeper
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...17#post1201017

3) If you're using the 3 wire (red/White/Yellow)- you only have analog 2 channel sound, and are missing half the point of DVD. Connecting via COAX from digital out to digital in will give you 6 channel digital audio on DVDs with 6 channel soundtracks.

This is also covered in FAQ AND PRIMER, please read it.

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Great response. I understand it a lot better now.

I still have my Subwoofer a lot louder than the rest, but I just turn it all down on the back. I thought my DVD was screwed up. Also hooked up the optical cable, but need to check to see if my settings are correct. Watched Reservoir Dogs last night and sound was a bit 'off'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks