-

Photo
- - - - -

Down firing subwoofer on carpet on cement

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   MiguelAnderson

MiguelAnderson

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 04:01 AM

This is my first append on this site and I certainly appreciate any and all help in advance.

I have a pretty basic home theater setup currently sans subwoofer. I'm starting to look for a subwoofer to round out the system. My completely unfounded and uneducated gut feel about subwoofers would be to look for down firing models because I believe that this would enhance the feeling of directionless audio... in other words, it seems to me like it would disperse better.

However, my setup is in my basement. The floor is carpet on carpet pad on cement foundation. My assumption is that in that case I should specifically avoid a down firing subwoofer because the floor would just absorb the sound.

I'm really just looking for confirmation that my assumptions are correct. Id rather find out that I'm an idiot now, than after I forked out the money for the wrong hardware.

Thanks,
Miguel.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Edward J M

Edward J M

Screenwriter

• 2,031 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 04:52 AM

Miguel:

I would have absolutely no qualms about using a downward firing subwoofer in a carpeted concrete floor application. The floor (carpeted or otherwise) will not "absorb" the bass soundwaves.

Pick the sub that sounds best to you, and don't worry about whether it fires downward, forward, or upward.

And there is nothing "idiotic" about your question - we all ask each other questions, we confirm each other's answers, and we collectively advance our knowledge base. That's the whole purpose of this forum.

Regards,

Ed
Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations

SVS

www.svsound.com

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   James Zos

James Zos

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 05:37 AM

I have a downword firing 12-inch KSW Klipsch sub (I now wish I had been smarter and done my homework and bought a better sub for the price.) Anyway, on the Klipsch forums, several posters suggested that if you have carpet, like I do, to put a large ceramic tile underneath the sub. I did so and remember hearing an improvement in the sound, but now I could not tell you whether this was merely the power of suggestion since it's been so long since I switched between carpet and the tile. One thing that is good about having the tile is I don't have to worry about the furniture spikes I attached to my sub's feet piercing the landlord's carpet. Someone said the spiked sub might "skitter" on the tile, but my sub is heavy enough that this doesn't happen.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   James Edward

James Edward

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:39 PM

Miguel- Here is the bottom line: Which way the sub fires won't make much difference, but a concrete slab will never transmit the tactile feel like a wood floor. My only suggestion to you would be to get the biggest, baddest sub you can afford. I would also suggest that if you go with SVS or Hsu, get the lowest tuned sub you can. They seem to energize the air in the room, which is what you'll need, since the floor won't be vibrating at all.

My HT is on a cement slab, and the bass just does not transmit as well as with a suspended wood floor. Friends with half the sub I have get a more tactile feel because their system is on a wood floor. But that's life, so just beware that you'll need a powerful sub to go with the concrete floor.

The above comments apply to movies only; music alone might actually benefit from a tighter environment. I don't listen to music in my HT, so I don't know...
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   MiguelAnderson

MiguelAnderson

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 03:03 AM

Great... thanks everyone for the input...

Miguel

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 04:39 AM

Quote:
... floor is carpet on carpet pad on cement foundation. My assumption is that in that case I should specifically avoid a down firing subwoofer because the floor would just absorb the sound.

My 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling & the main HT area = 20' x 20' cement slab w/oak square flooring throughout.

Quote:
... the biggest, baddest sub you can afford.

I've successfully used various front & down-firing sub's (8" to 15") in my HT/family room since 1988 and the key to obtaining that Cinema Theater SPL sub-sonic impact was room integration and REFERENCE Calibration. But the most impressive, with tactile air moving sub-sonic impact is what I'm presently using, an SVS 25-31PCi!!!

The following post is one I posted in the HTF Receivers/Separates/Amps thread sharing my Yamaha RX-V1300 (New) & SVS 25-31PCi (APR '02) subjective/tactile experience vs. comparing it with my Yamaha RX-V995 ...

Quote:
... my brother and I watched Monster Inc. (RX-V1300 autoswitched = DD-EX) @ approx. -5 dB below REF Level (VOL # -23.5) and the Cinema Theater SPL was dynamically linear, w/exceptional crystal clear dialog & precise 360-degree surround effects!!! Posted Image Posted Image It never sound hard, steely, compressed or congested - the entire experience was far superior to our better local DD/DTS-5.1 & 6.1 Cinema Theater!

Now, in comparison, the RX-V995 created that impressive Theater SPL experience @ approx. 106 dB AVG and going louder, the RX-V995 started to sound slightly compressed and steely.

With my NEW RX-V1300, it effortlessly cruised while producing impressive 109 dB Fast SPL LFE Peaks (ex. little Boo's crying / laughing, etc.) and along with that sub-sonic air, floor, wall, couch, pant leg moving LFE effects impact (SVS 25-31PCi) was what I documented in my RX-V1300 review, ... the RX-V1300 HT quality overall full-frequency spectrum balance of reproduced sounds that were "more revealing, w/improved imaging, vocal / instrument presence/location/placement; more dynamically linear, w/expanded soundstage & depth"!!! Posted Image (associated speakers Do Make a Difference - JBL S26 x6 & S-Center)

I monitored the 109 dB @ my 'sweet spot', approx. 9' from my Center and 12' from my SVS in the right front corner.

The following post (hot-linked) is my HTF SVS 25-31PCi review (APR 12th '02) and my subjective & tactile description still holds true today, except now I have improved linear dynamics overall with my Yamaha RX-V1300 (HT Spot RX-V1300 review).

For another subjective & objective review w/graphs, read John E. Johnson, Jr. Product Review SVS 25-31 PCi Powered Subwoofer - December, 2002.

I personally would recommend any SVS Cylinder sub, or their new traditional Box sub Model PB1-ISD for a little more money than the SVS 25-31PCi. The PB1-ISD performance is basically a SVS 25-31PCi (22 Hz tuned).

Hope this helps,
Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

Forum Nav Content I Follow