What's new

Shielding on JBL S-CenterII (1 Viewer)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I was wondering if anybody else has had a problem with the magnetic shielding on their JBL S-Center II speaker. I just got a Sony Wega 32HS500 HDTV and when I put the speaker on top the very top center part of the picture is discolored purple. When I lift the speaker off the TV the discoloration goes away.

Is there anything that can be done to improve the shielding? Will this cause any actual damage to my set, or will it just be an annoyance factor?

Thanks!

Mark

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
thats odd all center channel speakers should be magnetically shielded,

maybe you have a bad one? how about exchanging it for another?

--

on the topic of interference, i have an omni cc mirage center speaker, it weighs a hefty 25 lbs and i placed it on my sony 27" wega (it almost spans the entire diameter of the television!) and noticed soomething odd, after turning off the television, i hear extensive static popping as the tv sets in.. i know this i normal, but with the center channel on the tv, it seemed to last longer and louder.

im wondering if its the extra weight of the speaker or does it have to do with the shielding? there is no discoloration on m tv.

but since then i removed the speaker, and im in the porcess of looking for a tv stand that has a top shelf for the center, the tv on the other had still has static noise when i turn off the television, but its consderably less.

does anyone know? im guessing its the extra weight strain placed on the cabinet, i hope itsnothing electrical :/

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
The distortion got worse as I moved the speaker to the front of the TV. As I moved it towards the back it got better.

As luck would have it I already have the Sanus shelf - I used it on my old TV. I was hoping not to have to use it as my girlfriend can't stand the sight of it but I may have no choice.

I talked to someone at JBL and they said to try a piece of sheet metal under the speaker. I will try that too.

Mark

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
phil where can i find one of these?

good guys, cc and bb dont have them, my local ht shop doesnt carry them either, are they mainly sold online or something?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
You need something made of a ferromagnetic material. In otherwords, something that magnets stick to.

If you could find an iron or steel sheet and cut it like with a metal band saw into a square, I suppose that could serve as a cheap shield. It doesn't have to be thick, and it could even be perforated.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Mark - hope the metal plate works - Chris has some good suggestions.

phil where can i find one of these? ... are they mainly sold online or something?
Well, I bought mine on-line reasoning that the cost would be MRSP $34.99 + 8.25% CA tax locally. Purchasing on-line w/S/H was approx. $29.00 from a 5-Star TOP SERVICE Yahoo Shopping on-line merchant.

So, the following links are from Yahoo Shopping search results, sorted by Low (price) to High (price) ...

This 1st linked option is a lower priced shelf but does not come with any shelf size description or MFG. name ...

TV Top Shelf

Here's the Sanus search results, same criteria ...

Sanus TV Top Shelf ...

... and here's Sanus Systems TV Top Shelf Spec's.

If you do purchase on-line, check out a couple of the 5-Star merchants 'lowest' item price + S/H - for a complete TOTAL. Sometimes, the merchant with a slightly higher item price will be lower (TOTAL) price, when you factor in the S/H.

Phil

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the links phil :)

unfortunately, the max weight capacity for the shelf is 15lbs

my center speaker weighs 25lbs :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks