What's new

Various thoughts about NEWS from the WB Chat! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the chat went very well. I was surprised by some announcements. First of all, never did I expect that WB would ever release "Freaks"! I hope it gets the longest possible running time. "The Beast From 20000 Fathoms" & "The Black Scorpion" were large surprises for me. I'll be very happy when these come out. I'm also glad to see that "The Bad Seed" is coming. The news about more Hitchcock coming is welcomed. I'm also glad to see Lewton & Chaney films on the schedule. Also very glad that more Cagney , Flynn & Bogart will come to DVD. The news about "Tom & Jerry" & Looney Tunes was very welcomed.

Some disappointments with the chat. I was hoping for more info about "King Kong". I wish there had been more positive news about "The Devils". I could not believe that no questions about TV mini-series were asked. The response about DTS is very disappointing. I was mildly disappointed that Bette Davis has to take a back seat to Cagney , Flynn & Bogart, but only in relation to the time frame for releases. I guess I won't see more Bette until perhaps 2005. I had hoped for more questions about M-G-M catalog titles.I was unhappy that WB considers relatively obscure films as not possible on DVD. WB's continued use of snappers & digipaks will keep me buying keepcases from InetDVD to replace them.

All in all it looks like my library of WB DVDs will keep growing & my bank account shrinking!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I also thought the chat was terrific. Very positive. So many great catalog titles are coming. I was thrilled to hear about A NIGHT AT THE OPERA, FREAKS and I'm over the moon about the possibilities for THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD.

I was disappointed that there wasn't more variety in the questions being asked by members. It seems that every other question was asking the same thing about BATMAN cartoons or
DARK SHADOWS movies. That seemed like a "gang-up" campaign of sorts.

Otherwise, membership asked excellent questions, and I sense there is a lot to look forward to from them.

Now, if they'd only dump those damned snappers!;)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Really glad about the Vegas Vacation, Christmas Vacation, and Christmas Story re-releases. Hopefully, this will clear the way for things like Funny Farm and My Blue Heaven to be re-released in widescreen.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I was quite happy with Warner's openess this time. Gone was the ambiguity of previous chats, enthusiastic and informative.

I'm excited to get my hands on a bunch of the titles mentioned, can't wait for Casablanca, Robin Hood, Dukes of Hazzard and Tom & Jerry (how's that for across the board?).

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
A fully restored Where Eagles Dare is something I'm really looking forward to.

Neil

TysonK

Agent
I did not have a chance to participate in the chat but any mention of a re-release of the Superman movies similiar to what Fox is doing with the Alien movies. I remember the last WB chat where they were looking into putting together a special edition of Superman II. Any mention of the Batman movies in special edition versions? Gone with the Wind?

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Best chat with WB ever. In addition to all to all the positives mentioned in previous posts, I thought the most intriguing and exciting announcement was that classics from the silent era will finally be making their DVD debut next year. Maybe it won't be long before we'll see the likes of The Jazz Singer, Greed and The Crowd making their well deserved digital debuts!

And big thumbs up to those who asked for That's Entertainment and I Want To Hold Your Hand (with the 40th anniversary of The Beatles' arrival in America next February, that should be a no-brainer).

Jeffrey

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I too was uninvolved in the chat, and look forward to the transcript. In the meantime, could someone fill me in about:

* more Hitchcock. Any titles?
* Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes. Any word about how they will be presented?
* A Night At The Opera. Any other Marx Brothers?
* Casablanca re-release. Any word on contents? (Speaking of which, in NZ, we are getting Casablanca on TV on Friday. Of course, it's the colourised version, so I won't be watching.)

Finally, any idea when the transcript will be up?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Warner said:

Big Hitchcock promo next year

Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races & lots more Marx Bros

Tom & Jerry cartoons coming out in original uncut versions

Looney Tunes all being remastered and coming later this year, with special features aimed at animation fans

No details on the CASABLANCA double disc, but based on WB's other double sets, it should be superb.

They were asked about many, many titles, and it seemed like most of what was asked for is in some form of planning or execution. I don't know when the chat transcript is going up, but it should fill in all the great details. I was impressed, and I know I wasn't alone in that regard.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
and don't forget about the "classic" Police Academy movies for the end of the year

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
For films of interest to me (mostly "classic" films), these were the most exciting announcements from the WB chat:

2003 Releases:
Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948/Huston) 2-disc deluxe set (September)
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942/Curtiz) 2-disc deluxe set (September)
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938/Curtiz) 2-disc deluxe set (September)
To Have and Have Not (1944/Huston)
High Sierra (1941/Walsh)
A Christmas Story SE (1983/Clark) 16x9 (holiday season, 2003)
Casablanca 60th Anniversary Special Edition
Around the World in 80 Days (1956/Anderson) "arriving soon"

2004 Releases:
Dial M for Murder (1954/Hitchcock)
Meet Me in St. Louis (1944/Minnelli)
Freaks (1932/Browning)
Chariots of Fire SE (1981/Hudson)
Unspecified Marx Brothers Pictures (Presumably includes: A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, A Night in Casablanca)
Libeled Lady (1936/Conway)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946/Garnett)

Unspecified Release or Delayed:
The Magnificent Ambersons (1942/Welles) "no scheduled date; hope to release in the near future"
Goodfellas SE (1990/Scorsese)--no date set
Mean Streets SE--(1973/Scorsese)--no date set
Blade Runner SE (1982/Scott) "there are legal issues to overcome"
East of Eden
The Jazz Singer (1927/Crossland)--being restored

Silent Films: WB plans to launch a major initiative to release some of the great silents in their catalogue. No titles were confirmed, but this could include such masterworks as Greed (1925/von Stroheim); The Big Parade (1925/Vidor); The Crowd (1928/Vidor); Show People (1928/Vidor); The Scarlet Letter (1926/Seastrom); The Wind (1928/Seastrom); The Cameraman (1928/Sedgwick), and Ben-Hur (1925/Niblo).

Other News:
No plans for more releases with DTS tracks
Continued support of Snapper cases
Committed to releasing the films of Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, Errol Flynn, Astaire & Rogers, Val Lewton (Cat People???)

Disppointed that the Following Titles Weren't Asked About Directly:
Blow-Up and Zabriskie Point (Antonioni)
Bringing Up Baby (Hawks)
The Asphalt Jungle (Huston)
To Be or Not to Be and Ninotchka (Lubitsch)
Ride the High Country and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (Peckinpah)
They Live by Night and On Dangerous Ground (Nicholas Ray)
Performance (Roeg)
Pennies from Heaven (Ross)
Gunga Din (Stevens)
Cat People and Out of the Past (Tourneur)
White Heat (Walsh)
The Public Enemy (Wellman)

Sorry if there are errors/inaccuracies in this list. Comes from notes I took during the chat. Steve Simon (moderator) said Ron should be posting the chat transcript probably tomorrow afternoon.

All-in-all, I thought it was a very informative chat. Thanks, Warners!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i didn't expect all the questions about Dark Shadows.
(didn't even know wb owned these now)
And although i would love to own them in a more substantial package, the Batman cartoons really aren't high on my list of priorities.
but i fully expected there to be several people asking about these- based on re-reading the previous chats and the general discussion of these throughout the year on this and other forums.

i was hoping to be able to preface & personalize my question- thanking Mr Feltenstein for the wonderful variety of catalog titles released in the last year, but for some reason my 1st post got blocked, and i didn't want Ron to think i was sleeping.
I really have had nothing but positive things to say in the way WB regards its catalog titles.
they maintain a very high minimum standard in regards to a/v quality.
can't wait to see the silents...and Adventures of Robin Hood is now the official #1 most looked forward to title this year (for me anyways).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
East of Eden was asked about.
they are some legal issues with it that need to be resoved first.

also, i was intending to ask specifically about Out Of The Past, but i choked at the last minute.
i was hoping this was one of the RKOs they were being cryptic but positive about.
didn't they say something like 'several fan favorites or frequently requested RKOs'?

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Was there any mention of a special edition of the Shawshank Redemption? Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I expect White Heat to be out some time in the next 12 months or so based on what Warner said about Cagney films. Also, the transcript will be up tomorrow probably by the late afternoon.

I too was surprised by all of the questions about Batman cartoons, Batman special editions, Superman special editions and Dark Shadows. I was hoping somebody would ask about King Kong, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jon,
I wouldn't get rid of your Magnificent Ambersons dvd quite yet due to the legal issues remaining to be cleared up. I'm sure Warner would love to release it as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks