-

Photo

Various thoughts about NEWS from the WB Chat!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
200 replies to this topic

#41 of 201 soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 12:50 AM

People... Valley Of The Gwangi is coming in October. What more do you want!? Posted Image

Great chat, but I forgot to ask about O Lucky Man

#42 of 201 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:21 AM

I thought the chat was real good. Even though the Flash tv series is not being considered. Posted Image
I am glad people mentioned Batman animated. Now granted I missed the second hour. But, hopefully if they see that their is a lot of demand by adults for the show they will put a little more pressure on the family division to get moving.

Ron, any other studio chats in the works? Fox,Paramount? Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#43 of 201 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,703 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:33 AM

We talked to Fox a few months back -- but hey,
any time Mr. Staddon wants to come back, he is
more than welcome. I love holding chats with
that man.

Keep trying to get Paramount to the table,
but I think they feel they have nothing to say.

With all respect to the studio, Paramount never
leaks out anything. I think that you guys would
ultimately be disappointed by the "no comment"
answers you would receive.

Universal talks to no-one. They don't do interviews.

MGM may be the next best bet. I'll talk to them
about coming aboard.

Have also extended invites to Anchor Bay, but they
never get back to me.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#44 of 201 PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:34 AM

Quote:
I couldn't believe this was Warner Brothers we
were talking to. They answered everything, they
gave us lots of exclusives, and they interjected a
lot of humor into their replies.

Reading the transcript, and remembering the previous ones, I have to agree! Amazing turnaround from WB. And coincidentally in the past year they've brought out some of their best product (esp. those 2-discers). Whether it's new people in charge, or simply a change in attitude, it is most welcome! Posted Image

It's great to hear WB VP's talking enthusiastically about the movies we love. Can't wait for the next batch of Hammers next year. Pity nobody asked whether there were any plans for a Ladyhawke SE, but that's what I get for not waking up in the middle of the night to join the chat. Posted Image

Now, if only they could do anamorphic 1.66:1...

#45 of 201 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:45 AM

Warner has improved.

Just let go...of the SNAPPER.

New Line, HBO etc. all have.

#46 of 201 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:48 AM

Quote:
A pox on y'all for getting to contribute to the chat-- I got stuck at work.
It could be worse - I was in the chat for the entire 2 hours, and never got to ask a question because EVERYTIME I "yo"ed, I got a message that said "error: cannot send to moderated channel."

I wanted to ask about ALF season sets. Hopefully, it's one of the ones they were talking about in reference to Dave Lambert's question, or one of the "sitcoms under consideration."

Ron: how about Columbia?

#47 of 201 Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:49 AM

Just read the transcript and it definitely seemed like an excellent chat. Too many pleasant surprises to list, really. Disappointed that Point Blank apparently isn't being considered. I've had hopes for that one for awhile.

I don't mind that people kept chiming in on Batman: Animated, at least. I can sympathize that it would get annoying after the question had already been handled but I think animation fans have a tendency to feel like they need to really scratch and claw to get even an adequate representation of that medium on home entertainment formats Posted Image

#48 of 201 Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:58 AM

Glad to see more Hitchcock coming...but was really upsets, though is pleasing, is the long as hell wait it will seem to get to 2004 for the Marx Brothers releases...but at least I know that they will do them right.Posted Image

We were out last night at a concert so neither one of us were home for the chat, but would have loved to have been there to ask them about "Caged."Posted Image

#49 of 201 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:00 AM

What a great chat, and what a great lineup. If even half of what they've promised for 2003 and 2004 comes true, Warner will have gone from zeroes to heroes in my book.

Although the questions on Dark Shadows were a little repetitive, it's good that we made them aware that Night of Dark Shadows has been restored (Warner, if you're reading, you need to talk to Dan Curtis Prod. & Darren Gross, who has been carrying the torch on this restoration project), which they were apparently in the dark about, and also to make them aware that there is BIG demand for these films. MPI is merrily releasing the entire 5-year run of the daily series on DVD, so there is clearly a profitable fan base out there.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Oh, and FREAKS and Lon Chaney and Val Lewton??? I think I may have died & gone to heaven.

#50 of 201 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:06 AM

Quote:
David,

I, like you and Gord, am very into TV on DVD which is why I asked the West Wing question. I was enouraged to hear that Warner is considering a lot of their old comedies. My question for you, is there a place that lists shows by studio? I want to know what their library contains. I have looked at Warner's website and of course I am a regular at TVshows on DVD.com (shameless plug), but I couldn't find anything.

Thank you for the "plug"! Posted Image You pose a good question with a tricky answer.

It would be great to click on "Warner" and see a list of every TV property (or film property) they own. But rights are a convoluted thing, as you know, and change so much.

With every individual listing at TVShowsOnDVD (TSoD for short), we have a mention of who we think the current property holder is. Or are, if multiple companies are involved.

Well, I'll retract that. Not "proprety holder" as much as "this is the company that would release a DVD...we think". So (without looking) I think for Wonder Years we probably list LaserLight/Delta, since they released the only two DVDs that are out. For Little House On The Prairie you can bet we list Goodtimes, even though rights have now shifted to a different company up in Canada (starts with an "I", but slips my mind at the moment).

By the way, Gord and I (who were on AIM during the chat so we wouldn't have to whisper) were both just shocked when Warner stated they don't own Wonder Years and 7th Heaven.

This is a great example of "we just can't keep up with it". We don't have the inside knowledge to get it all right.

Not putting words into Gord's mouth, because he IS the decision-maker at TSoD, but I would imagine that this is the reason he allows users to get listings of which company put out EXISTING releases out on DVD, but doesn't want to allow a look-up of the "property holder" companies for possible future releases.

Too often, we would just plain be wrong.

The Internet Movie DataBase (IMDB.com) probably does the best job of getting it right, but even they - with mucho full-time resources dedicated to their website - are often in error about things like that. For instance, yesterday's Viacom buyout of all things Comedy Central is certainly not going to be reflected anywhere in the "company info" at IMDB for South Park. Not anytime soon, and perhaps never.

Much of the time even the studios themselves don't seem to know what they do and don't own. Great example: HTFers in general seem to believe that Paramount owns the pilot episode of Twin Peaks, but the executive who comes and posts at HTF hasn't said that they do, and other sources claim that Paramount says they DON'T own it. No other studio is claiming to own it. Who owns it? I don't know, do you?

Sorry to go on and on like that, but I think it's good to air out this subject once in a while. Cheers,
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#51 of 201 Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:13 AM

Rats...no mention of A Face in the Crowd.

Does WB still have this? I wish I could have been there to ask about it.

Joel
Joel

#52 of 201 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:22 AM

"LOTS of feedback about Batman:TAS means that they will surely look into this..."

Very disappointing that there are no plans for Batman TAS by season Posted Image Posted Image

I hope they change their minds. This 5 episodes a year stuff just isnt cutting it.

Season boxsets would make them a fortune.

I HOPE we get Blade Runner,The Hunger and Goodfellas SEs this year and not next.

#53 of 201 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:23 AM

I know how you feel Joel; I too would like to know the status of this title. It due for region 2 release last year, but it was pulled. I'm not sure if Warner own the British rights though.

Gordy

#54 of 201 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:26 AM

Quote:
THX-1138 will be landing at a video store near you next year.

Posted Image

Excellent. At least, one of the two good films Lucas directed will be on DVD soon.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#55 of 201 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:40 AM

Quote:
Universal talks to no-one. They don't do interviews

Now why doesn't that surprise mePosted Image

Glad to se that Val Lewton & the Marx brothers will make it out on DVD next year & Treasure of the Sierra Madre this year.

Upset that Brewster McCloud will probably never make it out on DVD.

#56 of 201 Richard Waller

Richard Waller

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:00 AM

I was very glad to hear about the Hitchcock, Marx Brothers and Tom & Jerry releases next year. I'm also glad that "uncut" was included as part of their response for T&J. Posted Image

The best news was about Looney Tunes. I am glad they are aiming those at animation fans.

#57 of 201 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,560 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:11 AM

Can't wait for the Looney Tunes sets, Casablanca, and several others mentioned.

I did find the response regarding determination of which titles include DTS rather flip, however: "That's easy, none of them do." That really seems to point more to some sort of internal spat with the DTS folks than any concerns about quality or the consumer.

I was wondering, are there any plans to revisit either A CHRISTMAS STORY or CATS DON'T DANCE. Both received minimal extras, and no widescreen version, on their original issues, and I would like to know if you (or the Family Entertainment group, who did the previous versions) have plans to revisit either in the future.

Ho Ho Ho. It's XMAS in April. Yes, we have a new 16x9 20th Anniversary CHRISTMAS STORY special edition coming in time for the holidays. No plans to revisit CATS DON'T DANCE since very few people bought it the first time.
Perhaps the reason CATS DON'T DANCE didn't sell well was because it was pan-and-scan only. It's such a shame animation is seen as solely the domain of the WB Family division. There is a HUGE adult fanbase for animation, but we never get any consideration. Everything's aimed at the drooling rugrats.

Good news about "A Christmas Story" though. Posted Image

I, too, was discouraged with the repeated queries about the same titles (i.e. Dark Shadows, Batman, Superman). Is it possible for someone to preview the questions on future chats so we can avoid the time-wasting duplication?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#58 of 201 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:12 AM

To follow up a bit from my opening statement. Some news about TV mini-series would have nice. I was hoping for info about the "North and South" series & more about "The Thorn Birds". I would have liked any info about "King Kong". Maybe some titles under consideration from the Cagney, Flynn & Bogart libraries. I'm glad WB loves Bette Davis. But I would have preferred that they love her enough that she could have been a little higher in their list for releases of catalog titles from her peak years. Maybe if enough people ask about her she might get moved up a bit, seeing as she would draw both women & men buyersPosted Image. I figure that "The Beast From 20000 Fathoms" & "The Black Scorpion" will fairly bare bones DVDs. But I'd love to see "Freaks" get a bit more in the way of extras, since it is a more significant film than the two Sci-Fi titles I just mentioned. Kudos to WB for having the guts in this day & age to release "Freaks". I had about 10 questions prepared for the chat & only one got asked before my Bette question(The "Freaks" question). It was hard to prioritize my list. I wish someone had asked about "The Spirit of St. Louis". That film really deserves a release. There are a couple of smaller films that I'd have liked info about, "Crossing Delancey" & "Clara's Heart". I guess I'll have to make due with my LDs. In their mentioning of swashbucklers I did not see any reference to "Ivanhoe", which I guess may fall into that category.

Probably the biggest disappointment was that there was very little if any info about the older M-G-M catalog titles other than Flynn & Davis. The following are some examples of films that I'd have liked info about:

Madame Curie
Random Harvest
Mrs Miniver
San Francisco
The Picture of Dorian Gray - with color inserts intact
Gaslight
The Great Ziegfeld
Red Dust
A Tale of Two Cities
The Good Earth

And a personal favorite of mine, the Johnny Weismuller "Tarzan" films.

There was a lot of great info, but just not as great as I wanted. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#59 of 201 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:14 AM

Quote:
Now, if only they could do anamorphic 1.66:1...

AMEN!!!

Did anyone even ask this during the chat? Most of it is just one title-request after another. Why oh why do these chats always become just a mantra of "when will such and such come out on DVD?" Not that these aren't meaningful questions to ask...but it would be nice if we also urged the studio to IMPROVE the quality of their transfers so when you DO get your chosen title on DVD...it will be mastered right. I'm already feeling sick imagining that the Chariots of Fire SE will be a sh____ 4x3 lbxed 1.66:1 transfer...

448 kbps DD and DTS are important issues (thanks to those who asked!) and 16x9 encoding of 1.66:1 films is *critical* folks if you ever plan to properly view your 1.66:1 movies on a 16x9 HDTV or front-projection system without unecessary cropping and loss of resolution (and there is no appreciable compromise for 4x3 viewers in the meantime...it's been discussed extensively and other studios do it without any problems).

C'mon WB...rise to the challenge! I'll even not say anything about those crappy snapper cases we all hate! Posted Image

p.s. yes, I'm as excited about the rest of you about the incredible line-up of forthcoming releases...at least those that are either 1.33:1 or 1.78:1 + in OAR Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#60 of 201 David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 757 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:19 AM

Read the transcript!

The positives for me are that they are expecting to release GREYSTOKE and WYATT EARP in 2004, the Hitchcock promotion in '04 and EAST OF EDEN!

The negatives for me are: NO DTS, more snappers and a slower than I expected release schedule, continue 384DD (which makes no sense to me)!

David

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow