-

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie - purchased 50Hz 76cm widescreen TV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 JonathanJB

JonathanJB

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 03:35 PM

I'm in Australia and I've purchased a Philips 76cm widescreen TV which has a refresh rate of only 50Hz, not 100Hz.

It has the typical European video inputs to choose from:
* Composite
* S-Video
* RGB (SCART connector)

But no COMPONENT !?

Now nearly all DVD players in Australia are built with the Japanese video outputs:
* Composite
* S-Video
* COMPONENT

! ! ! no RGB present. ! ! !

In fact the only DVD players with RGB outputs are VERY pricey.

I would much prefer to use the RGB connection because its supposed to provide a better image than S-Video, but I don't know how big the difference is meant to be.

Is it a big difference ? Is S-Video good ? Will the difference be noticeable on my 50Hz 76cm display ?

Im sure that it would be noticeable on a 100Hz 92cm display.

#2 of 8 JonathanJB

JonathanJB

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 06:11 PM

Anyone !? Help !?

#3 of 8 Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 06:50 PM

The difference between RGB/component and s-video isn't as great as the difference between s-video and composite. The greatest improvement is colour purity, but on a 76cm TV I wouldn't be too concerned.

Loewe sell players with RGB SCART in Australia which aren't too expensive, and K-MART have a Magnavox model with RGB SCART that's less than AU$200.

Adam

#4 of 8 Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 10:41 PM

I have a Pioneer 515 DVD player which is hooked to my Loewe TV via scart, but it isn't RGB, it is only scart. The TV supports the RGB, I don't know if it is the player which doesn't.

Because you get a player with a scart out, it doesn't mean you get RGB.

I don't know what to do to get RGB via scart, and a thread I started some time ago about this didn't answer this question. Maybe someone will shed some light on this issue as well...
Too much debt...

#5 of 8 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 10:58 PM

The SCART connection is all over Europe (and Australia). It's the standard TV connection here. Although, theoretically, there's room for S-Video (called S-VHS in Europe) in a special SCART version, it's very seldom used. TV sets have a separate input for S-Video. So DVD players (and S-VHS VCR players) have a special outlet for it.

The two main versions of the SCART connection are: one way and two-ways. "One-way" only serves to bring the video (and audio) signals in, "two-way" also allows for signal-out.
Most TV-sets have one "two-way" SCART connection and additionally one or more "one-way" connections.

There are "SCART to split" cables, generally having a red, blue and yellow cable (red and blue = L & R audio, yellow = composite video).

Cees

#6 of 8 Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 11:46 PM

Cees, can you explain the SCART-RGB relation in regard to my question in my previous post please?
Thanks
Too much debt...

#7 of 8 Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 12:42 AM

Most modern DVD players with SCART connections are RGB capable, although there are exceptions among entry-level models and older player such as the Pioneer 515, which offers only composite video through SCART.

Pioneer's entry-level models still do not offer RGB via SCART, although all models above the 343 include RGB SCART capability.

Adam

#8 of 8 Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 01:07 AM

Allright, such a simple reason glad to know that thanks.
Too much debt...