What's new

Calibrate speakers using DTS 5.1 or Dolby 5.1 on the Avia Disk? (1 Viewer)

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a difference?

I understand DTS or Dolby is an intangible, personal preference, but considering more movies are recorded in Dolby should I calibrate for that?

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
My mistake :b "Home Theater Tune-Up" DVD

I calibrated with DTS test tones and wondered if I am losing anything when I listen to a movie in Dolby Digital.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Well, it depends on your AV Receiver. Some units may have different output SPL levels for one or more of the HT speakers when comparing DTS vs. DD Calibration REF Levels.

I compared my S&V DTS Test Tones vs. Dolby Digital Test Tones (both @ 85 dB) and the only slight difference was my Calibration REF Mark (DTS slightly lower since its test tone was relatively louder - Yamaha RX-V995) - but ALL HT Speakers Levels were identical between the two sound formats.

NOTE: My S&V / AVIA Dolby Digital Calibration REF Mark @ 85 dB was almost identical to my Video Essentials Calibration REF Mark @ 75 dB - again, ALL HT Speakers Levels were identical.

Phil

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Depending on the receiver you have, you can test both DTS and DD based on the volume. For example, using test tones and a spl meter for DTS will allow you to set the volume for DTS per speaker and it's saved or you should write it down. Do the same for Dolby Digital and once again write it down or save it. I've done it for both and the receiver saves the information every time DTS is used or Dolby Digital. The only thing I do is turn down the volume a bit for DTS, but the settings remain the same.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Go with the DTS - especially if you have a 6.1 setup. The Dolby does not emit a sound from just the rear speaker, but instead from all three surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks