What's new

Looking for the best sub at $650 or less... (1 Viewer)

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
I have auditioned both the Paradigm PS-1000 and the B&W ASW600 and I'm considering purchasing one of the two. Are there any other makes/models at $650 or less that I should audition before I make my decision?

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
If you are capable of building your own, that is an excellent option. There are many of us here who would be willing to help you design an even cheaper and higher performing sub than what you're looking at. What are your specific goals? Music or home theater? SVS and HSU are favorites around here for manufactured subs.

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
I've considered DIY as long as I can get a kit. I don't have access to the right tools or workspace to build from scratch. I've looked at the Adire and Madisound kits, but I'm not sure of their quality compared to the B&W, Paradigm, etc.

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
I love B&W speakers, but this subwoofer doesn't have very impressive specifications:
http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/...el%20ASW%20600
This is only a single 10" on 150watts, so even though they describe it as "long throw" I think you can do a lot better.

Again, Paradigm speakers are great, but their sub is only a 10" on 175 watts:
http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/...el%20ASW%20600

Now compare that to these:

Rava sealed 12" on 250 watts for $399:
http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio...eries/rava.htm

Dharman, ported 12" on 280W for $599:
http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio...es/dharman.htm

These are completely pre-manufactured subs from Adire that you don't have to build anything for. But they should seriously destroy the two subs you mentioned. But there are other options too:

SVS ported 12" on 320 watts for $599:
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_20-39.htm

Tell us more about your tastes and we can probably help you find a good match among these or other subwoofers.

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for something to use in a 5.1/HT setup. The A/V receiver will be a Rotel RSX-1055. The L/R fronts and rears will be Dynaudio Audience 42s or Paradigm Studio 20s. The center channel will be the brand-appropriate driver-matching unit. My listening will be a combination of DVD, CD, DVD-A, SACD, MS Xbox and general television viewing.

I've browsed the Adire site, but I've never seen/heard one of their subs in person. I know they have a great reputation among DIYers, so that is somewhat comforting.

For kits, I've found that Madisound has some interesting offerings, a few of which are on sale. They also have KT Sonicraft woofer kits. Has anyone here ever purchased from Madisound?

http://www.madisound.com/nht1259%20sub%20kit.html

http://www.madisound.com/nht10subkit.html

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

Besides Adire, I would look into HSU, SVS. The links I gave you are not kits, they are completed subs! Acoustic-visions.com sells several kits (including the Adire ones), and so does parts express at http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....536&filter=kit

Read around the forum and check out those links. I'm sure you'll find something to make yourself happy if you have $650 to spend.

Elliot_W

Agent
You can pick up a new, fully warranted PSB Subsonic 7 on ebay now (I did) for $475. 330W BASH amp with a 15" driver - and it is sealed. I use it w/ Studio 20s as mains....and it does a great job with music as well as HT. Prob. won't punch like the SVS - but it is a relatively small box should placement be an issue. Anyways, it is a better buy the VTF-2 at that price.

BTW, I auditioned the ASW600 and PS-1000....I thought the B&W would be tighter than the bandpass designed paradigm - bought I thought they sounded very similar! The PS-1000 was actually 'ok' for music, and cheaper than the B&W (and I think goes a lot lower for HT too). However, the aforementioned choices are prob. better.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Elliot,

The paradigm design is not a bandpass, it's a regular ported bass reflex. A bandpass enclosure has 2 chambers w/ the driver completely enclosed and all of the sound exiting the sub via the port.

Elliot_W

Agent
Stephen....the paradigm factories are within 10 miles where I live. Admittingly, we don't know much in the Great White North, but we do know 2 things:

1. Hockey
2. Paradigm products...

...and I can assure you that the Paradigm PS-1000 is a bandpass design, in all its Dual-Cavity-Bass-Shaping glory!

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I'll do more research on the Adire and SVS products. Of those two brands, the Adire Rava, Adire Dharman, SVS 20-39 and SVS 25-31 look like winners. I'm very much intrigued by the SVS 25-31. It looks like a great combination of power, price and performance. Can anyone here comment on how the 25-31 handles music (as compared to DVD).

EdNichols

Second Unit
Another sub that can be bought in a kit is the VMPS sub. It is passive so you have to use an amp. I have read some great reviews on it. I have one on order so I am anxious to hear it.

www.vmpsaudio.com

James Zos

Supporting Actor
What skills are required to build a sub from one of these kits?
I myself have no skills, but my girlfriend actually builds things (tables, chairs, etc) out of wood. Are electrical skills required, or just woodworking skills? What are the steps involved in putting one of these subs together?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Conclusions

SVS has set standards to beat with its product line, and the 25-31 is certainly a blockbuster for $549. ... It has powerful, deep output at low distortion, and would be a killer addition to any home theater, especially an entry-level system which tends to have subwoofers in this price range, but not even in the same league as to performance.
I bought mine without auditioning, just solely based on the great SVS customer reviews over the years here @ HTF and the personalized customer support by Tom and Ron.

I knew it was time to get the SVS last year when SVS ...

1) Improved the SVS 12" Driver -
.... a) US-built 12" long throw SVS ISD (Improved Standard Driver) woofer, hence PCi (i = improved)

2) Updated the AMP
.... a) 320 Watt RMS Amplifier custom designed for SVS, it features patented BASH technology

3) Lowered the price!!! :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Yes I emailed Tom & Ron before I pre-ordered my SVS 25-31PCi (S/N: 00034) and received my answers with unexpected speed!!!

Received: APR. 2, 2002 & still impressing my usual family/friends during my once or twice Friday NITE DVD's presentations!!!

Phil

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
James,

According to the desciption at Creative Sounds,

"This is the first DIY subwoofer kit which can be assembled without any additional tools; everyhting is included from glue, wood filler, sandpaper, acoustic stuffing, to the required wrench and screwdriver to install the driver and amp after finishing the outside to taste."

The sand paper would only be used to sand down the screw holes that were patched with woodfiller before painting (I'd imagine). If you can use a screwdriver, you should be able to put the sub together.

Frank

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your detailed response, Frank.

I still find it hard to believe that no skill is involved, for the simple reason that it seems like everyone would then be buying these kits and gaining quality while saving money. Maybe some people don't like building their own gear. Personally I'm starting to see these kits as the ultimate "tweak" for my hometheater, and since I've run out of other inexpensive tweaks, this looks like it might be next.

Thanks again for your answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks