What's new

What are your thoughts on Integra? (1 Viewer)

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see much talk about Integra recievers or the new pre/pro. Do their recievers sound like a Yamaha, Denon, or a Rotel? How about QC and reliablility? Is the CHAD remote any good? Thanks for your input.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Joe

In my experience with Onkyo, their receivers have a warm sound rather than a crisp sound. Onkyo makes some good stuff, but I don't think I would opt for their Integra models unless you can get them for the same price as the regular Onkyo line. I couldn't even begin to try to compare their sound to Yamaha, Denon or Rotel. Not because the Onkyo sound is inferior, just because I have not had any experience comparing all those brands.

Artie

Niraj Patel

Agent
Joe and Arthur,

As far as I know, Integra and Onkyo are related in name only. They aren't designed off each other like a Acura is designed off a Honda (for example). They are different entities that use the same parts only when both want to use the same part, not because the other uses that part.

As for comparisons... I had the chance to audition HK 525 vs. Onkyo 600 and the HK sounded a ton more detailed and bright while the Onkyo sounded warm, but maybe a bit much. Then again, these two recievers aren't quite in the same price range, but sound signatures usually remain pretty consistent within a brand.

The Integra on the other hand... I was able to audition the Integra DTR-6.3 vs. a Marantz 7300 and a comparable Yamaha (I forget the model number). The Marantz was warm and very natural, the Yamaha was extrememly detailed (like, you could say that violin is coming from other there in a violin that looks like this), and the Integra was somewhere in between the two. If I had to chose which it sounded more like, I would say it more closely resembles the Yamaha. Personally, I think I would take the Integra or the Marantz out of the three with the edge going to the Marantz since I watch more movies than I do listen to music.

Hope this helps.

Niraj

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
I prefer Integra to probably any other receiver brand. I have owned many receivers in the past 10 years, and mostly flagships from Yamaha, H/K and Denon, but also Pioneer, Kenwood and Integra. I've auditioned Marantz and the only one I ever came close to buying was the SR8200.

That was until I saw and heard the Integra DTR 8.3, and that was what I ended up with in my living room system. (My HT is separates)

Having owned a DTR 7.1 previously, I was surprised at how good this one really is. It's sister model the Onkyo NR900 recieved a very decent review in the last issue of Home Theater (95 on performance if I remember correctly)

The CHAD remote is awesome (it's a re-touched Philips Pronto!)

IMO - Integra sounds better than H/K, Denon and Marantz recievers, but you should audition and see what you like the best..

Good Luck!

Tom:cool:

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Guys

From what I have read the Integra models only use a few parts that are different. Do ya think that Onkyo would omit the parts that make the biggest difference in sound from the line (Onkyo) that is 90% of their business?

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Well ... there are significant differences between Integra and Onkyo. According to Secrets to HT and HF:

"Most companies differentiate between their entry-level pieces and their high-end products. For example, Sony has their Elevated Standard (ES) line, and Pioneer has their Elite line. The Integra line is a little different in that it was started by Onkyo, but it is a separate company that does not have the Onkyo name on it at all.

The benefits of Integra are 3 year parts and labor warranty, upgraded power supply, hand selected critical parts, heavy-gauge detachable cord, gold-plated jacks, multi-room remote input, and enhanced cosmetics such as a brighter display and sculpted faceplate.

Integra has a full line of receivers starting at $600 (DTR-5.2), up to $3200 (DTR-9.1) that closely resemble the regular Onkyo line, but are the logical upgrade to each receiver offered in the Onkyo line . For example, the DTR-6.2 would be the upgrade to the Onkyo TXD-S696. However, it should be noted that Integra is not an Onkyo product, but a completely different entity."

Tom:cool:

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what they look for when they hand select critical parts? The ones that are best looking? What does a good looking transistor look like? How sharp is a good looking integrated circuit? If a good looking IC is like Demi Moore, I'm a convert to Integra ;)

StephenL

Second Unit
The only differences you should count on are those specified in writing by Onkyo/Integra. The power specs of comparable Onkyo/Integra models are identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks