Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"WOW!" Moments in the Movies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
259 replies to this topic

#1 of 260 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 07:02 AM

I was watching CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND the other day and remember when I saw it in the theater, when the Mothership rose up from behind Devil's Tower. It was one of those moments I'll never forget. Another was sitting near the front row during THE ROAD WARRIOR and the movie "opened" up after the prologue. No matter how good the home theater, some moments can never be repeated from sitting in a big theater and having something just blow you away.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#2 of 260 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 07:12 AM

Some of my favorites:

1. When Indiana Jones looks behind him to see the huge boulder rolling toward him, in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

2. The Yoda fight scene in ATTACK OF THE CLONES

3. The overhead entrance of the Star Destroyer in A NEW HOPE.

4. The moment in THE MATRIX when you realize that Neo had been living in a completely make-believe world. The filmmakers made a smart decision to slow the pace after this, to let you think about it.

5. The parting of the Red Sea in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

#3 of 260 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,349 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 07:49 AM

The ending to the original Planet of the Apes.

The Death Star battle from the first Star Wars movie.

Pretty well all of 2001.

The Opening Prologue battle scene from Fellowship of the Ring.

...and many more!
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#4 of 260 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 08:00 AM

In Episode 2, where Anakin is balancing the speeder while Obi-Wan is falling from the sky. Amazing, simply amazing.

Not really a WOW! moment, but more of a YEAH! moment. In "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", where the governor
relieved the three of their crimes
. I wanted to jump up and scream and dance.

#5 of 260 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 09:02 AM

Before the previews, whenever a hottie walks in Posted Image

Lawrence of Arabia - The cut from the match to the desert. I wasn't really surprised to read afterward that it was a famous shot. I never even noticed it at home...

TTT - Long shot of Gandalf and the Balrog

FOTR - Prologue, Moria.

The Matrix - Trinity's first jump kick: shattered everything you thougth you knew about action.

The Sixth Sense - The end.

And the mother of them all:

Jurassic Park - Everything.

--
Holadem

#6 of 260 OFFLINE   Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 09:21 AM

Here are a few of mine.. Some are wows on a technical level, others are emotion.. some are both

-- In E.T., Elliot, Michael, et al lift off the group and escape to the bald part of the forest to get E.T. home. The music, imaginary, and emotion are just fantastic.

-- In Field of Dreams, when Ray Kinsella figures out what "If you build it he will come," "Go the Distance," and "ease his pain" all mean when he
is reunited with his father and has a chance to right the wrongs of his past

-- In Back to the Future, when Lorraine and George kiss for the first time and Marty is re-engergized and all is well

-- In Star Trek: The Motion Picture, when Kirk and Scotty check out the refit of the Enterprise for the first time together and Kirk feeling the sense and grandeur of being home. Wonderful music.. it did all the talking in the scene

-- Omaha Beach in Saving Private Ryan

#7 of 260 OFFLINE   Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 10:19 AM

Brazil: The dream sequence where Sam fights the giant Japanese warrior. Brilliant stuff! Plus the final ten minutes of the movie are pretty amazing too.

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: The scene where Eli Wallach runs through the graveyard to the great Ennio Morricone music.

My Neighbour Totoro: There's something undeniably brilliant about the entire sequence by the bus-stop.

Godzilla 1985: We get a bird's eye view of a nuclear power station, thunderous footfalls as a giant creature slowly approaches. An unfortunate security guard goes out to see what the commotion is, looking upwards in fear after the ground splits open at his feet. The camera then gradually pans upwards, eventually revealing Godzilla staring downward. Pity the rest of the movie doesn't live up to this great scene.

The Road Warrior: The final fifteen minutes contains probably the greatest chase sequence ever put on film.

Solaris ( original version ): The final shot. Wow

Disney's Robin Hood: Ok, laugh if you will, but I absolutely love the entire fight sequence that follows the archery contest. Classic stuff. Sorry Posted Image

#8 of 260 OFFLINE   Phil Kim

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 10:29 AM

Some classics, foreign, and new (and I know I am forgetting a bunch more):
  • The Wizard of Oz: sepia B&W to color transition.
  • Notorious: crane shot to Ingrid Bergman's hand.
  • Singin' in the Rain: Donald O'Conner doing two flips in one take.
  • Once Upon a Time in the West: flashback to Men with Harmonica's past.
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey: bone to space cut.
  • Day for Night: final scene revealing what's going on.
  • The Spy Who Loved Me: submarine Lotus.
  • Apocalypse Now!: helicopter attack.
  • Ran: the final shot.
  • GoodFellas: the steadicam shot following Henry to the restaurant.
  • Breaking the Waves: he's alive!
  • Christmas in August: portrait to funeral cut.

#9 of 260 OFFLINE   Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 11:10 AM

Quote:
Ran: the final shot.

The battle sequence about an hour into RAN is superb - completely forgot to mention it earlier. I especially love the way the entire thing is initially done without sound effects - just a musical backing. The way the sudden sound of gunfire breaks the score is seriously jolting - fantastic!

#10 of 260 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
TTT - Long shot of Gandalf and the Balrog

The Matrix - Trinity's first jump kick: shattered everything you thougth you knew about action.
These are 2 that came to mind right away.

I assume we are only talking about stuff that grabbed us in the theater, action or otherwise that just blew us away somehow.

T2 - the motorcycle/semi chase early on.

most recent - City of God - many parts, but the opening 5 minutes said "this is special"

Pulp Fiction - "And I shall strike down..." Great film, but the first time through he sure as hell had MY attention during that scene. What a moment in film.

Memento - screeching brakes to a halt - "Now, where was I"...that really blew me away.

All of Cloud City in Empire Strikes Back, something about that setting really grabbed me the first time. Also the space worm narrow escape was a real "LOOK OUT" moment.

Blade Runner - Let me tell you about my mother...didn't see that coming and what a great setting.

Ahem
Quote:
The Road Warrior: The final fifteen minutes contains probably the greatest chase sequence ever put on film.
I think you meant "greatest ACTION sequence", f**k that chase only shit. Posted Image An astounding opening.

#11 of 260 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 22 2003 - 01:25 PM

Metropolis: When the Moloch machine goes crazy. Also, the False Maria transformation scene.

#12 of 260 OFFLINE   BarryS

BarryS

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 03:44 PM

I saw The Two Towers again today, and I'd say that the shot of Saruman walking on the balcony of Orthanc in front of the thousands and thousands of Orcs is definitely a WOW scene. Also, pretty much any huge overhead shot during the battle of Helms Deep.

#13 of 260 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:06 AM

Blowing the Bridge on the River Kwai
Wallace's execution in Braveheart
Bombing of the camp in Empire of the Sun
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat" - Jaws
The key death in "Life is Beautiful"
Confronting the Balrog in FOTR
The Awakening in The Matrix
The Tango scene from Moulin Rouge
The end of Planet of the Apes (original)
Omaha Beach in Saving Private Ryan
The Sixth Sense payoff
"Just you, Ace" (the standoff between Gordy and Ace in Stand by Me

Several scenes in several Hitchcock films (Psycho, Strangers on a Train, Vertigo......)

There are so many "WOW" moments, especially if you don't further define the moment. It can be emotional, FX, surprise...

These were just a few off the top of my head.

-Scott

#14 of 260 OFFLINE   Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:08 AM

Quote:

This was the FIRST thing that came to mind. I have never been in a theater (before or since) and heard the ooos and aahhs that I did after this scene.

Gladiator

There were about six times during this movie when I said "Holy Cow!!" The opening battle scene...when he escapes...the battle/show where he singlehandedly defeats all of the other warriors. It was an amazing movie.

#15 of 260 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:17 AM

Many of my favorites already mentioned here, but I have a few additions:

The Two Towers: The charge of Gandalf, Eomer & the Rohirrim into Helm's Deep. My jaw literally dropped.

Dark City: The reveal of the giant city in space.

On a strictly emotional basis:

Schindler's List: The scene at the end of the real Schindlerjuden at the gravesite.

Finally (this one just seen last night) - Kieslowski's Red: The final scene (and I will say no more but those who have seen it know what I'm talking about).

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#16 of 260 OFFLINE   JonathonSan

JonathonSan

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:44 AM

My favorite WOW scene:

ID4: When the "smaller" ships reveal themselves through a firey cloud...the music is chill inducing. Goosebump city.

Jonathon
"I'm going to punch you in the ovary"

#17 of 260 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 04:15 AM

This is what makes movie watching such a social thing, even if you're not there with the person you automatically know what they're talking about! I've seen virtually all of the scenes described above and agree with all.

More of my own.
The Trench - STAR WARS
The End (song) sequence - THE DOORS
Almost the entire movie - THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#18 of 260 OFFLINE   Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 05:12 AM

Apocalypse Now - The Massacre on the civilian boat and Sheen finalizing the deed.
Full Metal Jacket - The bathroom scene
Lethal Weapon - When Riggs pulls the trigger but the hammer is blocked my Murtach
The Usual Suspects - the end
I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#19 of 260 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 08:36 AM

18 posts and no Star Wars, "No, I am your father!"

Woah!

#20 of 260 OFFLINE   Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 09:35 AM

Definitly the "I am your father" from EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Posted Image

The scene when the T-1000 "morphs" through the bars while chasing the Connors and Arnold in TERMINATOR 2.

When the T-Rex bounds through the huge fence/structure and roars at the two parked Explorers in JURASSIC PARK.

John McClaine jumping off the roof of the Nakatomi Plaza just before it explodes in DIE HARD.

The face melting at the end of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

The Gordon Gecko "greed works" speech in WALL STREET.

Pretty much every scene in GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS.

“Do I really look like a man with a plan, Harvey? I don’t have a plan. The mob has plans, the cops have plans. You know what I am, Harvey? I’m a dog chasing cars. I wouldn’t know what to do if I caught one. I just do things. I’m a wrench in the gears. I hate plans. Yours, theirs,...

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow