What's new

I am getting Married this Friday 4-25-03 (1 Viewer)

Howie A

Second Unit
I am a little nervous not overly, just looking for some advice from a wise group of people.
Do any of you have any tips of things to do or not to do for that matter?
Perhaps something you should have done and just forgot to?
Thanks in advance. :D

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
WOW...

Read the fine print on the mariage licence. It will no doubt lean in her favor! :D

Mariage is work. Both husband and wife must work together to be sucessful. My best advice is to communicate about everything.... Money, Kids, Work, Play, Sex, ect. Be honest with each other in you communication and things should work out well.

Second best advice... compromise. You compromise on some issues and she should compromise on some issues.

Good luck and congrats.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Some advice from a married man of 9 years (on May 7th):

There is no such thing as 'winning an argument" with your wife, cuz even if you win, you really lose. Don't try to get the last word in every time and don't sweat the small stuff so much.

Congratulations and good luck!!

Jack

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
First, enjoy the day. Try to take things slow, because it will go by really, really fast. I don't remember a lot of my wedding, it went by so fast. It was like a blur.

If you don't want to look like an idiot, practice putting the ring on her finger. When you're standing there facing her in front of everyone, you might forget which hand is which. I was going "left, right, uhh, ok, this is my left, so, her right would be there, and...". I was swapping her hands back and forth, then settled on the wrong one and tried to put the ring on. Much laughter from the crowd told me I was wrong. Doh!

Frederick

Second Unit
Congrats, Dude! I've been married for 9 months (yeah, I'm still wet behind the ears), and the one thing I've learned that's vital (along with everything else that was said so far) is patience. We're two different people, despite the fact that we have so much in common and get along so well. She does things and sees things differently than I do, so sometimes things take a little longer to do than I'd like. But that's her way, not mine. Neither one is bad, just different. My wife and I were great friends before we got married, and we're still great friends. That's important, too. Don't lose that friendship ...

Freddy C.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Congrats!

Our first anniversary is in a month (May 25). Be aware that the first year can be the most trying. Even the best marriages have times where you're left thinking "did I make the right decision?". Tough it out and don't give up so easily. It'll definitely get better. I can honestly say that the last 6 months have been easier than the first 6 months and I have no doubt they will continue to get easier.

KyleS

Screenwriter
First thing is to tell you Congrats!

I have been married almost 3 years to my wife and I would be lying (As would anyone) to say its always blissful. Marriage takes a lot of work to get it right. I was fortunate enough IMHO to live with my future wife for almost 6 years before getting married so we had already worked out a lot of issues that some married couples experience for the first time during the first couple of years.

Jack is giving you some stellar advice. You really never can WIN an argument so pick your battles wisely. When you disagree with her think before you speak. Basically you need to decide if its really THAT important a topic to argue over and it should NEVER be a topic where you are arguing just to prove you are right and she is wrong. Arguments should be reserved for things such as purchases that impact both of you, life changing events, how to punish children, etc). Trust me if you can learn to concede the non-important battles your life and marriage will be a lot happier. :)

Now for the actual marriage day the advice is to just ENJOY the day. Don't stress over things like what people are thinking watching the wedding or how the pictures will turn out. Everything will work out trust me. At our Wedding my wife stressed about almost everything to the point she almost got sick. The worst part was that we had a formal sit down dinner and when we showed up at our reception some guests were already there. Well the snacks were not out for our guests because someone in the kitchen had dropped them. To me it wasn't a big deal because they didn't know that there was snacks to begin with but my wife blew UP. I of course made sure that we were not charged for the service portion or food that they dropped (Which they tried to do) but other then that life goes on. Was there ANYTHING that could have been done by the chefs? NO so why make a big deal about it.

If you have not finalized when you are taking pictures (Though you probably have) I would recommend taking your pictures Before the wedding. Before the wedding neither of you are stressed out yet, your not tired, your/her hair/makeup is perfect and not ruined from crying. Your guests don't have to wait for you if you do it after the ceremony and before the reception. You have more time to enjoy the moments.

KyleS

Oh yeah and depending on how the day goes forget the part about getting lucky on your wedding night. ;) I don't know about a lot of people that get married but our ceremony was at 5pm and our reception started at 7pm and by the time we got done with dancing, smiling, etc it was 1am and when we got back to our hotel we were both so tired we just wanted to SLEEP.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Good luck, you are going to need it :)

Seriously, Don't sweat the small stuff, remember you love her, keep sex in the equation (for both of you) have time outs, you don't need to be arround each other all the time...

Friday the 25th will mark 5 years for me and my wife.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Quick, buy all the hometheater stuff you would want right now! Cause in 3 days its gonna be a chore getting 'committee approval'.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
forget the part about getting lucky on your wedding night.
LOL ain't that the truth...

One other bit of advice that will keep things smooth.... Don't under any circumstances use the phrase: "My Mom made/did/does (fill in the blank) a different way." This is grounds for divorce unless you can do some serious back pedaling. In 99 out of 100 cases your mother is your wifes worst enemy when it comes to doing things.

I was able to save my marriage but now I do all the cooking. :b

CaseyLS

Second Unit
How old are you? I am 20 and I have never had a serious relationship. I guess I better hurry because I want all of my kids out of the house by the time I am 45.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Congrats Howie!

My wife and I just celebrated our 1 year anniversary this past Sunday (the 20th). I asked her what she wanted to do for our anniversary (ie, take a vacation, etc...) and she told me "I want to go to a bunch of Red Sox games!" Ahh, I really am blessed! :D We spent the entire weekend at Fenway Park.

We were both told that the first year of marriage is the toughest, but I guess we never really hit that "tough" part yet, I guess that will be when the children come. For us, marriage hasn't been that different from single life. We both do our own things on occasion (maybe once or twice a week) and it has never been an issue... during football season, I would head up to the local sports bar every Sunday, and watch football all day long, and it was never an issue with her (she would always greet me when I came back with a big smile, asking me how the games went, etc...) Of course this is bound to change in time, especially when children come.

So, now time for my advice...

For the wedding:
1. Everyone says to take a step back and try to enjoy the day... however, this is alot easier said than done. We had a 6 PM wedding, and we did not get to sleep until around 4 AM (and we had to be up at 6 AM). However, I really suggest that, if possible, you spend the next day (at least half the day) actually visiting with your family and friends. We did this - all of my family had flown in ~1000 miles for the wedding. So, we didn't leave right away for our honeymoon - we stayed for half the day, visiting, etc... it's the best advice I can give. You'll have plenty of time for your honeymoon, but you can never have enough time for your loved ones.

2. DONT save your energy for any "wedding night sexual escapades" :D Honestly, I wonder if anyone has sex on their wedding night anymore. I can tell you that it was the last thing on my mind... save it for the airplane lavatory the next day.

ABOUT MARRIAGE
1. Share responsibilities around the house, and alternate cooking days.

2. Surprise her every once in a while with something. Nothing makes my wife happer than when I come home with tickets to a play, to a baseball game, or a DVD.

Best of luck to you!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I guess I better hurry because I want all of my kids out of the house by the time I am 45.
If you want them out of your life by a certain age, why have them at all? It seems to me lots of people seem to feel they "need" kids, but don't really "want" them. As with marriage, I don't intend to strap myself down with children, either. :wink:

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I can't believe so many guys are perfectly willing to basically say, "My life is now over. For the rest of my days all decisions that affect me are for you to decide, honey!"
I've harped and harped on this forum about this very issue. The answer is to marry the right woman.

It's all about respect, and it's a two way street. When you have a mortgage and car payments and other bills to pay, you don't run out and spend several thousand dollars on a new toy without consulting your wife. Afterall, she is bringing in half the money.

I got around this by marrying a woman who wants to stay home and raise the kids. I can therefore spend money on whatever I damn well please without asking for permission: I earn it all and I manage 100% of the finances, so if there is extra money in the budget, I do what I like with it. The only caveat is that everything costs me twice as much, because if I spend $100 on a toy, I'm obligated to let her do the same - fair is fair. As it turns out, I spend twice as much on her as I do myself, so this has never been an issue.

A large number of men choose to marry controlling women. They want a motherly figure in their lives, and they get one. Then he wonders why she controls his life. A friend of mine married a woman like this - she says jump, he says how high. He's 28 years old and he has a bedtime. I shit you not. If we want to get together, he has to ask permission - which, more often than not, is denied, so I don't see him as often as I'd like.

I don't have any of these problems in my marriage. Sure, there are times when I have to decline invitations because I have prior obligations with my family. But it's not a matter of "Honey can I?". If we're just having a lazy evening and a buddy wants to see a movie, we go. If my wife wants to come I take her with me and the kids play at Grandma's.

It just depends on who you marry. Marry a controlling woman and she will wear the pants in the marriage. Marry someone who respects the man as the head of the household, treat her right (ie, don't be controlling, be the head of your household - there is a difference), and you're set. When I wanted a 65" HDTV my wife said, "Sure, if it makes you happy." When she wanted a new truck, I said the same. :) And that, my friend, is a healthy marriage.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations!

Try to not be nervous (nearly impossible)

Make sure and have someone camcorder it because you won't remember most of it.

If you feel like you might lose your lunch stay where you are and turn towards a camcorder so they can get a good shot of it. If your video wins on one of those "funny video" shows it could pay for your honeymoon. :D

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I can't believe so many guys are perfectly willing to basically say, "My life is now over. For the rest of my days all decisions that affect me are for you to decide, honey!"
Malcolm I think your missing the point. Some of the statements here are supposed to be funny.... Laughter is a great way to ease the stress of getting married or any stress for that matter.

A marriage is a 2-way street and if your the selfish type that wants wants wants and never gives your marriage will be short and you would be better off to stay single.

Howie there is alot of good advise here. You know your future wife better than anyone. Continue to get to know her and you will be fine.

Wedding day. Try to get something to eat. By the time my wife and I got to the food line there was some parsley, a few stale crackers and a slice of turkey and cheese. I let my wife have the trukey and cheese.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Malcolm: You've got a good head about what you don't want in a marriage. With that, don't let other people's relationships sour you on the whole marriage thing. People who want a two way street will naturally pick like-minded spouses. So, when you find a woman who "meshes" well with you, she's probably a suitable wife. Trust me - you won't marry a wonderful woman and suddenly find yourself on a one way street to hell. If you have mutual love and respect for one another, you'll be fine.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Pretty solid advice in this thread.

Agreed on getting lucky right after the wedding. The marriage ceremony is tiring, mostly because you invest so much emotional capital in it that when it is done, you feel drained.

Spending time with the family and friends for a day or so afterwards is a great idea.

Make it a morning wedding - that gives you a good chance at some rest. You'll need it.

Be sure to have a honeymoon. It doesn't have to be horrendously expensive (neither does the ring...!) but it should be yours and yours alone.

Do not ever go to sleep still being angry at each other. Resolve it - even if it means staying up late. Best piece of advice I ever got - and when I didn't follow it, believe me, it gets worse. Have the gumption to bring up issues.

If you think it'll help - go take a State of the Marriage trip with her every quarter or so. Treat it as if you're running a corporation - this is the board meeting. Time for fun later - make sure the fundamentals are set. This includes handling difficult stuff; the Ostrich Option works as well in marriage as it did for Enron. Then go out and party!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks